StudentsReview :: Bowling Green State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Ohio State University Columbus -- Columbus, OH

Bowling Green State University

BGSU is what you make it.Quite BrightPsychology
BGSU is what you make it. And its so diverse and easy to craft into your own. There are so many different types of people and opportunities. I would say this is like your standard college; like the ones potrayed in the movies.Very traditional and proud of their colors.The student body is very enthusiastic and takes control of their education. On any given week, you can see a group of passionate students boycotting for a cause. The teachers will not reach out to you, but if you let them know that you care, they will put in a lot of time and energy to make sure you suceed. There are so many fun, cool and down to earth professors. The college is also the perfect size. No, their is not a lot of things to do in BG during the day, but you and your friends find creative ways to have a good time. Plus Toledo, which is a main city, is only 25 mins away. BG's night life is great and attracts students from many different colleges. Down town has a nice strip with a bunch of great clubs and bars. And if your 21, everywhere is free!! but if you arent a partier, you can easily just stay out of that scene and find other ways to have fun.

If you are looking for a place where you can work and play hard, this is a good choice. And there is sooooo many orgsnizations to get involved in. Also, I lived on campus for three years. I recommend it, because the dorms is where I met most of my friends. Also, the study abraod program is phenomenal, if thats something you were interested in. The school is great if you take advantage of all the opportunities and be responsible with your partying (if u are easily influenced or irresponsible you can find yourself partying, drinking excessively and on academic probation).

If I could rewind time, I wouldnt have chosen any other place. And I am sure all of my friends feel the same way. Campus just feels like home. I am a very school focused student with a 3.9 GPA and I feel its still a good challenge for me. Not too easy but not rediculesly hard. But I will say that throughout my undergrad years, our tuition kept getting raised to pay for all the construction going on. That sucked...But now that the construction is over, campus looks great and makes the college even more valuable. If your looking for friendly people, cool ass profs, great night life and many opportunites, this is the school for you. Just come in with an open mind and a determination to be successful. Oh yea, and :)

3rd Year Female -- Class 2011
Education Quality: A, University Resource Use/ spending: C
BG is a good, not great, school.Math
BG is a good, not great, school. It was just about perfect for my situation. I attended public schools in Toledo, Ohio, was an above-average but not great student, and was not sure what I wanted to do with my life. I really thrived at BG and went on to a successful career.

The best thing about BG is that it offers a very wide range of majors, but isn't an academic pressure-cooker. Students are able to try a lot of different things without fear of flunking out. (There are technical courses but no engineering program, which is a drawback for geeks like me.) The few really good students got a lot of attention from the faculty, who often assigned special projects or formed clubs to keep the best students interested.

Brilliant, highly-motivated students should probably go somewhere else; the level of challenge just isn't very high, because BG is not hard to get into. Also, it helps if you're into Greek life or just goofing off and drinking in general; the social life was a bit lacking otherwise. The town of Bowling Green is small and somewhat dull. The sports programs are good, and Division I football, basketball, and hockey often bring big-name opponents to campus.In general, BG is a good school if you're a reasonably serious student, want a good eduction, are fairly sociable, and don't want a lot of academic pressure. Among the public universities in Ohio, I'd say it's slightly above average.

I have mixed feelings about my experience atQuite BrightFine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
I have mixed feelings about my experience at BGSU. I'm a senior and I've grown to be proud of my orange and brown, but it was a rocky first couple years. I love the school and city for what it's given to me, but I wonder if I should of gone with a different choice. I graduated high school in 2007 not having a clue what to major in. I knew art was a strong interest of mine, but I wasn't sure if it was a "practical" major. All I can say is that I should of gone with my gut. Here I am, a BFA major, about to graduate. If I would of gone with my gut from the start I probably would of looked into more accomplished art schools with better facilities.

BGSU's fine art facilities does offer a lot of bang for your $$$. It's "cheap" and a great art school for a state university-- you have a good chance at getting grants and scholarships if your income's low enough or your grades are high enough. The faculty is pretty great. Not to mention it's pretty bad ass that there's glass blowing, not many universities can say that. Also, the ceramics program is awesome. Ceramics is definitely on to something with their 3D ceramic printing machine, and they also have an amazing selection of kilns. Good sculpture facilities too. Overall, 3D is great, John Ballistreri oversees it. The Art Education program is a little shaky at the moment, but they're getting back on their feet. The graphic design program is selective, they have their own separate portfolio review you have to pass in order to major in graphic design. (The school of art requires all BFA students to pass a portfolio review within their first 2 years in the program, generally a 70% pass rate). Digital Arts is decent. The photography department is one of the few programs anywhere that still has both black and white and color darkrooms/labs/processors. (Those old color processors are nearly extinct and hard to upkeep so it's kind of photo's hidden gem.) Their weakness is the lack of digital equipment/computers/printers, but it's slowly building itself up and will be much better very soon. I wish the photo department was a little more with the times when it comes to digital and technology, but learning photography in the darkroom is priceless and totally gratifying. The painting studios are fairly large and there's lots of natural light/windows, the faculty are helpful and there are 2 annual trips to major cities through the group 2DAA (which are awesome, I highly recommend you take advantage of them-- great way to see art with your fellow classmates, become inspired and have fun). Drawing majors are nearly nonexistent and recently a lot of the drawing classes have become a hybrid of painting/drawing. The printmaking studio has a lot of good equipment and space. Forget fibers, they dropped that with budget cuts a couple years back. I've had mixed feelings with the art history prof's, there are a couple that you should AVOID at all costs, but other than that it's good. If you're interested in studying abroad there's a program called SACI. Did I forget anything? I think that covers the art-building-basics.

Top suggestions:
--Go with your gut when deciding your major and commit! (If you don't then plan on spending more than 4 years at the university or possibly not even being at the "best" university for your major.)

--Not only tour the universities campus, but tour the building(s) that you will spend most of your time in for your major.--Try to speak with several of the professors teaching in your desired major, ask questions

4th Year Female -- Class 2011