StudentsReview :: Bowling Green State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Ohio State University Columbus -- Columbus, OH

Bowling Green State University

I hate this school, but honestly it isBrightUndecided
I hate this school, but honestly it is great for a lot of people!
If you plan to join a sorority or fraternity, join lots of club, care A LOT about sports, etc, this is the school for you. There are not very many creative, free thinking or "artsy" people here. Thats really what I was looking for and if you are too DON'T GO HERE. I have found the vast majority of the people here have the same personality and interests, but if these things interest you then its probably a great place for you.

Being from Ohio is a really big plus. I am not from Ohio and I feel really out of place here. People go home every chance they get and the campus becomes a ghost town. Its really depressing. Also, the weather sucks. A lot. I knew it wasn't great but I didn't realize how horrible it would be. Constantly raining, windy, cold, and GRAY. Its already snowed a number of times and its only November.

The town is the most boring town I have ever been to in my life. There is nothing to do and even if there was I wouldn't because its too cold to walk anywhere. If you don't have a car, you're kind of screwed. But even if you do have one, all that is here are fast food places, hotels, some bars and clubs, and two super stores.

As a whole, the people here are pretty dumb. There are a number of bright students, but the ones I've been around are very, very dumb. This school will let anyone in so do not come here if you want to be challenged. Trust me, yo wont be.

The food is horrible. Its not the worst, but it gets old so fast and I usually find something repulsive in my food. (Undercooked, excessively greasy, random chunks...) Definitely purchase a microwave and fridge.

I could go on and on about how much I don't like it here but I'm sure the other reviews have it covered. BTW I am transferring at the end of this semester, its that bad (for me)To sum it up...don't come here if you want to be challenged, if you want a good or even decent surrounding town, have original thoughts, or if you are from out of state.

1st Year Female -- Class 2015
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Education Quality: F
I am a gradAverage
I am a grad student, I just want to say one thing.
BGSU got horrible dining service. The union got expensive (horrible) food; and there are not many good places to go get lunch.

Maybe it is because I am new to this place, but can someone tell me if BG has another food court??????

1st Year Male -- Class 2011
Education Quality: A+, Perceived Campus Safety: D+
I have mixed feelings about my experience atQuite BrightFine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
I have mixed feelings about my experience at BGSU. I'm a senior and I've grown to be proud of my orange and brown, but it was a rocky first couple years. I love the school and city for what it's given to me, but I wonder if I should of gone with a different choice. I graduated high school in 2007 not having a clue what to major in. I knew art was a strong interest of mine, but I wasn't sure if it was a "practical" major. All I can say is that I should of gone with my gut. Here I am, a BFA major, about to graduate. If I would of gone with my gut from the start I probably would of looked into more accomplished art schools with better facilities.

BGSU's fine art facilities does offer a lot of bang for your $$$. It's "cheap" and a great art school for a state university-- you have a good chance at getting grants and scholarships if your income's low enough or your grades are high enough. The faculty is pretty great. Not to mention it's pretty bad ass that there's glass blowing, not many universities can say that. Also, the ceramics program is awesome. Ceramics is definitely on to something with their 3D ceramic printing machine, and they also have an amazing selection of kilns. Good sculpture facilities too. Overall, 3D is great, John Ballistreri oversees it. The Art Education program is a little shaky at the moment, but they're getting back on their feet. The graphic design program is selective, they have their own separate portfolio review you have to pass in order to major in graphic design. (The school of art requires all BFA students to pass a portfolio review within their first 2 years in the program, generally a 70% pass rate). Digital Arts is decent. The photography department is one of the few programs anywhere that still has both black and white and color darkrooms/labs/processors. (Those old color processors are nearly extinct and hard to upkeep so it's kind of photo's hidden gem.) Their weakness is the lack of digital equipment/computers/printers, but it's slowly building itself up and will be much better very soon. I wish the photo department was a little more with the times when it comes to digital and technology, but learning photography in the darkroom is priceless and totally gratifying. The painting studios are fairly large and there's lots of natural light/windows, the faculty are helpful and there are 2 annual trips to major cities through the group 2DAA (which are awesome, I highly recommend you take advantage of them-- great way to see art with your fellow classmates, become inspired and have fun). Drawing majors are nearly nonexistent and recently a lot of the drawing classes have become a hybrid of painting/drawing. The printmaking studio has a lot of good equipment and space. Forget fibers, they dropped that with budget cuts a couple years back. I've had mixed feelings with the art history prof's, there are a couple that you should AVOID at all costs, but other than that it's good. If you're interested in studying abroad there's a program called SACI. Did I forget anything? I think that covers the art-building-basics.

Top suggestions:
--Go with your gut when deciding your major and commit! (If you don't then plan on spending more than 4 years at the university or possibly not even being at the "best" university for your major.)

--Not only tour the universities campus, but tour the building(s) that you will spend most of your time in for your major.--Try to speak with several of the professors teaching in your desired major, ask questions

4th Year Female -- Class 2011