StudentsReview :: The Columbus College of Art and Design - Comments and Student Experiences

Savannah College of Art and Design -- Savannah, GA
New York University Graduate School of Arts and Sc -- New York, NY
School of Visual Arts -- New York, NY

The Columbus College of Art and Design

Jan 24 2015Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I spent my freshman year at CCAD, when I arrived it seemed like a great school with lots of opportunities. By the time May arrived, I couldn't wait to leave and never come back. CCAD did not live up to it's promises and did not make me a better artist. I have always loved to draw and paint, but this nearly destroyed my love for art with all the awful assignments and time wasting projects.

Most the of the teachers are extremely helpful, easy to approach, and really want you to succeed. But there's a few who can't even speak English. I was stuck with an Iranian immigrant who was unintelligible at best. He assigned several projects, only to change his mind on the day they were due. And then yelled at us for following his directions. I don't care how long you've taught there, that is never acceptable. On top of this freshman year is basically high school art classes, only more expensive this time. I learned almost nothing my entire freshman year.

Housing is another story, the dorms themselves are OK. Small, but all you can really expect from a freshman dorms. It's the staff that really suck. I was bullied near constantly for nearly 2 weeks, I couldn't even eat a meal in the dining hall without this person trying to start something. And it was both in person and on Twitter. When Jenn Bermudez finally responded to my emails all she did was have her, myself, another victim of this person, and the bully sit down and "have a mediated discussion." All that came out of it was a bullsh!t contract that we all would get along from that point onward. She let him walk all over us the entire meeting and did nothing about his actions that were in clear violation of the student code of conduct. She even said "we all need to tolerate each other." As in tolerate bullying? That statement appalled me, I should never have to tolerate being bullied, and neither should housing staff who claim they try to create a safe environment. What good are rules if no one enforces them and makes everyone follow the code that they had to sign. This was the main reason I left CCAD, I will not give my money to faculty who allow that behavior to occur.

There's also a lot of cliques on campus, and if you aren't in one you're in for a long year. The cliques monopolized the lounges and public spaces in the dorms, and often across campus. Many were arrogant and looked down on people they didn't like or agree with.Over all, CCAD was a waste of my time and money. I do not recommend it to anyone, all they care about is getting your money. I chose to leave the art career field, and I am much happier with my college that is costing me a fraction of what CCAD did.

1st Year Male -- Class 2017
Faculty Accessibility: A, Education Quality: F
Jan 07 2015Art & Design Department
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
This college charges so much money to pay for the tuition and living costs... They tell you its hard to find a job with art, but they don't tell you its impossible. They tell you that you're good, but they don't tell you that you're not good enough. This college does not live up to their promises, they are thieves, taking advantage of young, naive people with dreams of making their livings as an artist. CCAD has ruined my life.
Starting Job: Coffee Barista Preparedness: F Reputation: F
Jul 14 2013Art & Design Department
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Having just finished freshman year it is obvious that you either absolute loath this school your you love it. For an art school, the photography program is incredibly disappointing, discouraging, and undependable. Without warning the traditional and film portion of the photography departed is being dissembled, being that a large portion of why I chose CCAD was being they still offered film and traditional photography courses. The administration and student advisers are completely worthless, so many students were faced with problems regarding tuition, getting into a required class due to over enrollment, and some even were told to retake a physical just because the school lost, I'm sorry, "misplaced" theirs. The school is shown as being very active in student activities during orientation, but almost all the programs and clubs offered at orientation did not or no longer exists. The student population is very clique and like high school there are still outsiders, but the one thing I love most about this school is the openness and support and encouragement from other students is phenomenal. If you were a loner or an outcast in high school, this school will suite you well.
1st Year Male -- Class 2016