StudentsReview :: Cedarville University - Comments and Student Experiences

Liberty University -- Lynchburg, VA
Wheaton College -- Wheaton, IL
Wheaton College -- Norton, MA

I come from a conservative background, very muchQuite BrightSocial Work
I come from a conservative background, very much an ideal Cedarville background. However, since my time at CU I have grown and developed. I now consider myself a Charismatic (eek!) and tread closely to a libertarian ideology. In all honesty, I have Cedarville to thank for this growth. Some may say that CU is closed minded and crazy conservative, this is in part true. But I have also been confronted with hard questions, real issues, and a better understanding of the Bible through amazing professors. I have not been sheltered, I have not been brain washed, I am not a sheep following a Southern Baptist Shepherd. I have been taught many different beliefs and been asked to wrestle with them, seeking the most Biblically accurate answer. It is true that there are some people who are ridiculously ignorant, some are misogynistic, others are subtly racist. But that is not the majority. Most people are truly striving to know God, to learn well, and to grow exponentially. Then again, there are some jerks that come here to break the rules (which, I might add, aren't that restrictive). And those people shouldn't be here. They sleep around, drink, do drugs, and hate Cedarville. If you don't want to live for God, don't come here. You're an adult, you can tell your parents no- they can't force you. To sum it up, Cedarville has bigots and idiots, but it also had beautiful, wonderful people that make up the majority of this great school.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2017
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: B-
Cedarville shelters its students and does not prepareQuite BrightEducation
Cedarville shelters its students and does not prepare them for success in the real world. It caters to the extremely conservative and out-of-touch students, and discriminates against both women and minorities. Unless you are a radical right-wing republican, white male, and prefer not to have your ideas challenged, I would highly recommend that you look elsewhere.
Preparedness: F Reputation: F
I was a Pre-seminary Bible major at CedarvilleQuite BrightReligion/Religious
I was a Pre-seminary Bible major at Cedarville from '07-'11. I bucked against some of the rules (which I thought were a bit overbearing, and this was exaggerated by the way people tended to moralize and spiritualize them), but I loved my department. The theology and philosophy professors (Dave Mills, Shawn Graves, Tim Gombis, John White, Ryan Peterson) were all fantastic.

However, I would not go back there, and I would recommend prospective Bible/theology or philosophy students do the same. In the year after I left, some of the Trustees decided the university was getting too liberal (it was still quite conservative, and I say that as a theological conservative), and they began making sweeping changes. Replaced administration, Student Life employees, issued gag orders to prevent them from being honest about why they were no longer employed, and ran off all the good philosophy and theology professors. It was a massacre.

That sort of agenda is utterly stifling for honest Christian theology or philosophy, and Cedarville is no longer a place where students can learn to think deeply about their faith. Instead, they will learn to recite Southern Baptist doctrine as though it were the unchallengeable apex of Christian theology, faith, and science. There are still good programs (nursing and engineering, for example), but the new administration has made the whole university a toxic environment, silencing any dialogue opposition through behind-the-scenes coercion (such as threatening of tenure, etc.). Seriously, just go to Wheaton or Calvin.As one who grew up Southern Baptist: the Southern Baptist leaders who have practiced this systematic policy of severance and oppression within the Body of Christ will stand before Christ in the Day of Atonement and have to answer for what they have done.

4th Year Male -- Class 2010