StudentsReview ™ :: Cedarville University - Comments and Student Experiences

Wheaton College -- Norton, MA

Cedarville University

I was a Pre-seminary Bible major at Cedarville

Mar 23 2014Religion/Religious
I was a Pre-seminary Bible major at Cedarville from '07-'11. I bucked against some of the rules (which I thought were a bit overbearing, and this was exaggerated by the way people tended to moralize and spiritualize them), but I loved my department. The theology and philosophy professors (Dave Mills, Shawn Graves, Tim Gombis, John White, Ryan Peterson) were all fantastic.

However, I would not go back there, and I would recommend prospective Bible/theology or philosophy students do the same. In the year after I left, some of the Trustees decided the university was getting too liberal (it was still quite conservative, and I say that as a theological conservative), and they began making sweeping changes. Replaced administration, Student Life employees, issued gag orders to prevent them from being honest about why they were no longer employed, and ran off all the good philosophy and theology professors. It was a massacre.

That sort of agenda is utterly stifling for honest Christian theology or philosophy, and Cedarville is no longer a place where students can learn to think deeply about their faith. Instead, they will learn to recite Southern Baptist doctrine as though it were the unchallengeable apex of Christian theology, faith, and science. There are still good programs (nursing and engineering, for example), but the new administration has made the whole university a toxic environment, silencing any dialogue opposition through behind-the-scenes coercion (such as threatening of tenure, etc.). Seriously, just go to Wheaton or Calvin.As one who grew up Southern Baptist: the Southern Baptist leaders who have practiced this systematic policy of severance and oppression within the Body of Christ will stand before Christ in the Day of Atonement and have to answer for what they have done.

4th Year Male -- Class 2010
Education Quality: A, Innovation: F

I am a proud 2013 graduate of THE

Nov 22 2013Religion/Religious
I am a proud 2013 graduate of THE Cedarville University. In the realms of academic rigor and excellence, this small-town school is literally unmatched. Literally. As in there is no match, anywhere in the world or even the universe, for the sheer stupendicity that is Cedarville University.

When I began my college career in 2009, I had many misconceptions about the world, the church, Cedarville, and life in general. It took about 2 weeks of chapel for me to realize that everything I thought I knew before arriving at Cedarville was DEAD WRONG! Sadly, I went to a public high school, and was surrounded by unsaved, immoral, sinful pigs for literally all of my prior education. You can only imagine the profoundly negative effect this had on my character and intelligence.

Thankfully, soon after arriving at CU I was set straight. Literally. In high school I learned to be kind and tolerant of other people. Even sinners. Even people who believed different things than I did. Even homosexuals and Catholics and Democrats and people who say cuss words and drink the alcohol. After my eyes were opened to my own moral superiority while at CU, I called up all of my old friends, met them for coffee (that's so Cedarville! :) ), and supplied them each with a bulleted list of their sins. It is really sad for me to see so many people living in ignorance when there is a wonderful place like Cedarville just waiting to open your eyes. I used to think men and women were equal, that God loved everyone regardless of their denomination (now I'm Southern Baptist all the way, baby!), and that you don't need to hate or be afraid of people who are different than you. But now, thanks to CU, all that has changed. I discovered at Cedarville that my spiritual gift is rebuking other people for their sins, so I hope to make a living with that someday. Wish me luck! (JK of course! Luck doesn't exist!)

Preparedness: F Reputation: F

If you want a

Apr 26 2013Nursing
If you want a good solid Christian school that is challenging, then this is the place that you should come. The problem is the "Christian" part is very close-minded, fundamentalist, and stuck in the past.
1st Year Male -- Class 2016