StudentsReview :: Columbus State Community College - Comments and Student Experiences

Columbus State Community College

I was pleasantly surprised

Jun 11 2014Business - Management and Administration
I was pleasantly surprised when I here on campus. The layout is easy to navigate. I was a little worried to go to school downtown, but it has actually opened my eyes a lot and see our city in a new light. My instructors have been super helpful and am very excited about this semester.
1st Year Male -- Class 2015
Individual Value: A+, Campus Aesthetics: B-

When dealing with financial aid they were anything

Aug 26 2014Biology
When dealing with financial aid they were anything but helpful. They were disorganized, every person I would talk to would give me different answers. All resulting in improper information and my financial aid not going through. When I was able to get my financial aid to go through my professors were terrible. My anatomy professor had such a thick accent I couldn't even understand the information being presented. My psychology professor was unable to maintain control of her classroom resulting in so many distractions the material was completely lost. I am glad my financial aid didn't go through because that means I will never have to give a dime to this horrible college again.

I am almost speechless in regards to how

Mar 12 2014Accounting
I am almost speechless in regards to how absolutely terrible this school has become over the years. I initially started attending in 2003 to complete GECs before transferring. Everything was mediocre at that time which is what I expected from a community college - noteworthy to say "at that time it was not terrible". I went in to transfer and complete my BSBA with a 3.89GPA. After a few years working I decided to obtain the courses needed to qualify for the CPA - so I returned to CSCC May 2013. From the start I should have reconsidered this choice and went with a different option. The financial aid department is terrible - after dealing with them it's clear they have poor training and poor attitudes. And they treated me as if I was a dimwit fresh out of high school that couldn't possibly understand the bug bad world of financial aid. I found this highly offensive. The accounting department uses a large proportion of books published by McGraw-Hill, in which I have found a multitude of errors. After reporting the errors the professors seem to take it personally, further detiorating my experience here. And I am talking fairly huge errors - EIC for married-jointly referred to the EIC for single/other and vice-versa. My fed tax I instructor actually told me that even though an error was found McGraw-Hill did not give him the ability to credit back the point - that's just plain crazy! This semester (spring 2014) I am taking fed tax II, advanced acct, and nonprofit acct - in ALL of these courses I have found discrepancies between assignment due dates listed on the course calendar and the actual dates listed on the assignments. Again when I have inquired as to which dates are correct the answers are condescending and toned in a way to imply that answering my question was bothersome to the instructors. Today I inquired regarding a discussion board post that asks students to compare differences and similarities between gov and nonprofit orgs - the issue here is that we do not cover nonprofits for 3 more weeks - instructor response was that he wanted us to be looking ahead so we would retain info - I also find this crazy. I will never attend this school again and if I can find a way other than this forum to make the greater columbus area aware of this BS I will.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2014