StudentsReview :: Columbus State Community College - Comments and Student Experiences

Columbus State Community College

Aug 26 2014Biology
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
When dealing with financial aid they were anything but helpful. They were disorganized, every person I would talk to would give me different answers. All resulting in improper information and my financial aid not going through. When I was able to get my financial aid to go through my professors were terrible. My anatomy professor had such a thick accent I couldn't even understand the information being presented. My psychology professor was unable to maintain control of her classroom resulting in so many distractions the material was completely lost. I am glad my financial aid didn't go through because that means I will never have to give a dime to this horrible college again.
Jun 11 2014Business - Management and Administration
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I was pleasantly surprised when I here on campus. The layout is easy to navigate. I was a little worried to go to school downtown, but it has actually opened my eyes a lot and see our city in a new light. My instructors have been super helpful and am very excited about this semester.
1st Year Male -- Class 2015
Individual Value: A+, Campus Aesthetics: B-
Mar 12 2014Accounting
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I am almost speechless in regards to how absolutely terrible this school has become over the years. I initially started attending in 2003 to complete GECs before transferring. Everything was mediocre at that time which is what I expected from a community college - noteworthy to say "at that time it was not terrible". I went in to transfer and complete my BSBA with a 3.89GPA. After a few years working I decided to obtain the courses needed to qualify for the CPA - so I returned to CSCC May 2013. From the start I should have reconsidered this choice and went with a different option. The financial aid department is terrible - after dealing with them it's clear they have poor training and poor attitudes. And they treated me as if I was a dimwit fresh out of high school that couldn't possibly understand the bug bad world of financial aid. I found this highly offensive. The accounting department uses a large proportion of books published by McGraw-Hill, in which I have found a multitude of errors. After reporting the errors the professors seem to take it personally, further detiorating my experience here. And I am talking fairly huge errors - EIC for married-jointly referred to the EIC for single/other and vice-versa. My fed tax I instructor actually told me that even though an error was found McGraw-Hill did not give him the ability to credit back the point - that's just plain crazy! This semester (spring 2014) I am taking fed tax II, advanced acct, and nonprofit acct - in ALL of these courses I have found discrepancies between assignment due dates listed on the course calendar and the actual dates listed on the assignments. Again when I have inquired as to which dates are correct the answers are condescending and toned in a way to imply that answering my question was bothersome to the instructors. Today I inquired regarding a discussion board post that asks students to compare differences and similarities between gov and nonprofit orgs - the issue here is that we do not cover nonprofits for 3 more weeks - instructor response was that he wanted us to be looking ahead so we would retain info - I also find this crazy. I will never attend this school again and if I can find a way other than this forum to make the greater columbus area aware of this BS I will.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2014