StudentsReview :: Columbus State Community College - Comments and Student Experiences

Columbus State Community College

I was pleasantly surprised

Jun 11 2014Business - Management and Administration
I was pleasantly surprised when I here on campus. The layout is easy to navigate. I was a little worried to go to school downtown, but it has actually opened my eyes a lot and see our city in a new light. My instructors have been super helpful and am very excited about this semester.
1st Year Male -- Class 2015
Individual Value: A+, Campus Aesthetics: B-

I really enjoyed my time at CSCC

Oct 29 2013Criminal
I really enjoyed my time at CSCC. I was taking approx. five quarters of classes to transfer to a BA program. I already had all of my gen-ed requirements, so I did not have to deal with those classes (and maybe that is where most of this negativity is happening,) but between my Law Enforcement and Sociology classes at CSCC and the ones I took at my four-year college, I generally learned more at CSCC. The Law Enforcement/Criminal Justice faculty & adjunct professors are wonderful, I highly recommend.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2011
Education Quality: A, Social Life: D-

I am almost speechless in regards to how

Mar 12 2014Accounting
I am almost speechless in regards to how absolutely terrible this school has become over the years. I initially started attending in 2003 to complete GECs before transferring. Everything was mediocre at that time which is what I expected from a community college - noteworthy to say "at that time it was not terrible". I went in to transfer and complete my BSBA with a 3.89GPA. After a few years working I decided to obtain the courses needed to qualify for the CPA - so I returned to CSCC May 2013. From the start I should have reconsidered this choice and went with a different option. The financial aid department is terrible - after dealing with them it's clear they have poor training and poor attitudes. And they treated me as if I was a dimwit fresh out of high school that couldn't possibly understand the bug bad world of financial aid. I found this highly offensive. The accounting department uses a large proportion of books published by McGraw-Hill, in which I have found a multitude of errors. After reporting the errors the professors seem to take it personally, further detiorating my experience here. And I am talking fairly huge errors - EIC for married-jointly referred to the EIC for single/other and vice-versa. My fed tax I instructor actually told me that even though an error was found McGraw-Hill did not give him the ability to credit back the point - that's just plain crazy! This semester (spring 2014) I am taking fed tax II, advanced acct, and nonprofit acct - in ALL of these courses I have found discrepancies between assignment due dates listed on the course calendar and the actual dates listed on the assignments. Again when I have inquired as to which dates are correct the answers are condescending and toned in a way to imply that answering my question was bothersome to the instructors. Today I inquired regarding a discussion board post that asks students to compare differences and similarities between gov and nonprofit orgs - the issue here is that we do not cover nonprofits for 3 more weeks - instructor response was that he wanted us to be looking ahead so we would retain info - I also find this crazy. I will never attend this school again and if I can find a way other than this forum to make the greater columbus area aware of this BS I will.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2014