StudentsReview :: Cleveland State University - Comments and Student Experiences

California State Polytechnic University -- Pomona, CA

Cleveland State University

In the mechanical engineering program my experience hasQuite BrightMechanical Engineering
In the mechanical engineering program my experience has been positive. The professors are helpful, intelligent, and want you to succeed. Here are better professors, much like any university, but the full time faculty is good.

The rest of the campus is poor at best. I've been charged out-of-state tuition for three semester, even after providing a mortgage statement and driver's license. Cleveland State will nickel and dime you in every way possible so that the president can take a bigger salary. The book store lost a book I returned early and charged me $200. The tuition fees are higher per credit than University of Akron and Ohio State. Even with higher tuition fees my lab classes are much larger than both institutions (I've taken classes at both). Labs are not hands-on, because you have one piece of equipment shared between 7 people.Cleveland State can be a good university to attend, but weigh your options carefully. You'll get good faculty with poor resources, but you can find good faculty and better resources elsewhere.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2018
Useful Schoolwork: A, Perceived Campus Safety: C
I applied to Cleveland State university because ofAverageBusiness - Management and Administration
I applied to Cleveland State university because of the urban environment and was hoping to have a culturally-enriched experience. Unfortunately,

all I found was closed-minded, unfriendly people. Most of the students are from the Cleveland area and are not open to making new friends.

The campus is not safe at all. Lot's of street people, even walking onto the campus. The teachers were unhelpful, and not very good. I spent a year here and felt like I wasted my money. I do not plan to come back!!!

1st Year Female -- Class 2019
Campus Aesthetics: C, Education Quality: F
Make this your last resort for college.Quite BrightSchool of Information
Make this your last resort for college. Curriculum and classes are extensive and irrelevant to your major. In order to receive a degree in your major, you will complete substantially more work than you would if you went to a different college - perhaps a private university or smaller school in general.

Bookstore is unfairly overpriced - I once rented a book for a 6-WEEK summer course that cost $190 to rent, the receipt read "you saved $9.89 by renting today". Buy your books from ANYWHERE else.

Food options are minimal and expensive when they are found.
Surrounding neighborhood is dangerous - Cleveland is dangerous. Campus police send out an email anytime there is an incident, however, I received multiple emails in one-day sometimes. Especially at night - there is not much to do at night around campus and if you decide to go out anyway to look for something to do, be very careful. Always travel with someone else when walking outside and be wary of your surroundings. College students are targets in this area.

Faculty does not know school policy. You may go to the financial aid office to get help filling out paperwork and the faculty member is either A.) Rude or B.) Do Not Know What Is Required. I received an email requesting a copy of my parents W-2. I went to the office and handed the receptionist all of the necessary paperwork. After quickly scanning through, hands me my parents W-2 saying "we don't need this." Sure enough, I kept receiving emails about my parents W-2 and had to return to give them the paperwork that they told me I did not need.

Advisors are also not helpful. First semester, they will make YOUR schedule. Next semester, YOU have to make YOUR schedule without any help or ADVISING. I often emailed my advisor, asking questions about classes or intership opportunities and did not receive a response. I thought that maybe since it was summer she was on vacation, but no - she just did not respond at all. Some professors are excellent and go above and beyond. Most are unfit to teach at the college level. CSU often shares professors with local community colleges such as tri-c and lakeland which students do not appreciate at all. If I wanted to be taught by a teacher from a community college, I would have went to a community college. I had a class where the professor was incredibly incompetent and was actually fired 2weeks into a 16 week semester. His replacement was one of the best professors I have had since starting college.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2017