StudentsReview :: Cleveland State University - Comments and Student Experiences

California State Polytechnic University -- Pomona, CA

Cleveland State University

I received my undergraduate business degree from CSUBusiness - Management and Administration
I received my undergraduate business degree from CSU in 2005. While attending, I was very disappointed with this program because the professors seemed to not care and did not provide the same level of academic challenge as those professors from Tri-C.

Fast forward 6 years?After a successful business career, I wanted to make a career change into the health field. I was not pleased to see that CSU improved their campus, but not their staff. Just meeting with a counselor to learn more about a health program was a disaster as the counselor arrived 30 minutes late (I was on lunch break from work and assured that I could meet with this person in that time frame), and could not answer any of my questions. Furthermore, another student was booked for that same time with the same counselor. The total time of that meeting was 15 minutes.

Since CSU did not impress me a second time, I chose to go to another school for a particular health program and decided to take a class. However, due to some family issues that needed to be taken care of, I could not attend the class and had forgotten to drop the class. A month later, I get a call from CSU asking me to pay my bill even though I had not attended the class. Mind you, at Tri-C if you don't pay your bill (or set up a payment) before the semester starts, you are automatically dropped from class without being charged. Another month later, I still have not gotten the payment waived. After being bounced around from call center person to call center person (who are not knowledgeable and have to put you on hold before they can answer your question), I was told that I needed to have the professor verify that I am not a student. I emailed the professor, who responded that he does not keep track of attendance and could not verify if I was a current student of his!!

Today (three weeks later) I am still dealing with this issue and am constantly accruing late payment fees because I refuse to pay for classes I never took and because I was told that the tuition would be dropped if I submitted a ?not attended? letter. I?ve talked to several 411 Call Center employees who all possess the same attitude of not caring and one even told me that it was my fault I got into this situation (I will take responsibility for not dropping the classes as I should have, but family was first on my mind at the time). Overall, CSU is a diploma mill comparable to online for-profit schools. If you are just an average student and just want that piece of paper, CSU is a cheaper school who can assist you with that. However, if you are someone who performs well academically, succeeds in life, then spend a little bit more money and get a quality education with a college that will truly get you where you want to be.

Put simply, Cleveland State University is a terribleBrightBusiness - Management and Administration
Put simply, Cleveland State University is a terrible school. If you value the quality of your education seriously consider going somewhere else. While there are a few good programs and professors at this school, the majority absolutely suck. Dont believe me? Than spend the 10k+ a year on this dump and find out just how pissed off u can get.
4th Year Male -- Class 2012
Campus Aesthetics: B+, Individual Value: D-
Cleveland State is located down the street fromQuite BrightOther
Cleveland State is located down the street from Downtown Cleveland. Although sounding fun, there is not much to do in Cleveland. Secondly, it is completely unsafe with homeless or lower-class men constantly coming up to me on the streets hitting on me. I do NOT appreciate the 6ft black man in a trench coat missing eyes asking me about my body.

It is a very easy school although very tough to make friends because most students commute. Although Cleveland weather is absolutely terrible, all buildings (excluding the library and other campus services such as parking) are linked together which makes it nice to avoid the cold.

Parking is very expensive, always full, and often far away. this makes it a hassle after driving through downtown only to walk a couple blocks to my class in the freezing rain/snow along with avoiding the frightening non-students walking down the street.

There is constantly construction going on in and around the campus, along with in Cleveland itself, making it very hard to get off the highway to campus, let alone park and make it to classes without running into construction. It is a terrible idea for freshman to attend because there is a hold on freshman that they may not exceed 16 credit hours in a semester, but also have mandatory class that is 1 credit (most commuters fail because it requires around the campus activities at all times of the day) and an optional but highly recommended class titled (Math 087) which is a review of Algebra 1. When scheduled, it say sit is worth three credits but in actuality it is worth none, setting most freshman back at least 4 credits their first semester, and unable to make them up the second due to the hold.

Campus Maintenance: A+, Education Quality: F