StudentsReview :: Cleveland State University - Comments and Student Experiences

California State Polytechnic University -- Pomona, CA

Cleveland State University

I?m writing this review: To be informative toSuper BrilliantOther
I?m writing this review: To be informative to all students wanting and looking to go here. It is my best advice to tell you. Go else where to get your college education! I would suggest you all either go to a small community college, Toledo, Michigan or an out of state College or University. Because, you will get very angry about the lack of education and respect that you all get here.

The only student body that this University cares about is the students that are in their athletics departments. All the other student body to them is just numbers, unimportant or major dollar signs to them to fund their major expiation projects. The University still has this going on still today. So they can build up their college campus to attract more college students in to their web of lies and trickery.

They all hope that if they do this and build up all these new buildings. It will attack more people or richer college students. But, people will soon learn this is just a trick to get them to go here and spend their money here.

The provost office, disability office, all the department offices, 411 which is know as the finical aid offices and the president office. All do not care or want to help out any of its student body that needs help unless they will gain something for doing so. If you want something done right got to grease the palms of the hands you're asking to help you with a problem. So, if you ask the staff to fight for you when you have been wronged by the university. The staff is all scared out that they will be fired for doing so or sticking up for you. So the only way to get things done or taken care of is doing it your self or taking the University to court.

This Universities famous expression are the following: No one is promised that they will graduated from us, you are to do as and how we tell you and then you will, we can make up our own rules and laws for graduation, you must sign these forms or else you will not get funding and we do not care if it effect your disability or destroys your other finical responsibility that you have in life, because we need to be paid and you must pay us first. We are also above the federal and state laws and we can do what we want, when we want and how we want to. Not you or the law will stop us; we have been doing what we have been for years. So we are not going to change, it is you who needs to change not us.

To inform parents and all students with disabilities or a student that have major learning disabilities. Before warned this university does not follow any kind of I.E.P reports for disabled students. They do not care or help disabled students with their classes. They only give a student the bare minimum of help to help them and if a student fight for their rights and what is owed to them the staff then bad mouth you to all the other departments on campus and the whole campus labels you as a trouble maker.

The quality of education here is very low and poor quality. Because, some of the college professors that work here are totally clueless on real world ideals or concepts. They only care about teaching either their own agenda or ideals or real life stuff from decades ago that are no longer useful in the real world today.

The finical aid office only cares about trapping students into student loans that can never be repaid, getting students to sign forms that will keep them trap into students loans that they did not sign for or ask for, making disabled students sign forms to mess up their finical abilities or incomes.

5th Year Female -- Class 2015
Perceived Campus Safety: B+, Education Quality: F
First off, I am going to review theQuite BrightSocial Work
First off, I am going to review the university as a whole- I feel that the academic advising department is disconnected and highly incompetent. I had spent extra thousands of dollars in tuition fees because they advised me to take classes which did not count towards my credits ( I was repeating a lot of the same credit requirement courses). First of all, advising dept staff must "fill" certain number of slots and will encourage you to take "x" class..etc. After having this happen to me more than once, I met with the "ombudsman"- what a joke-he was unable to resolve the issues by providing reimbursement for the ill-advising I received at this "educational facility". I had to go to each individual department and resolve the issue on my own, which took several semesters to fully resolve. If you are trying to complete a degree you must know if your classes will be accepted as a graduation requirement. Do not rely on the "academic advisers" to ensure you have fulfilled all requirements to have your degree "conferred"

Now, as a social work major, I graduated with an undergraduate degree. If you are looking for an "easy breezy" major, that does not require much critical analysis, then this is the program for you! The Social Work professors are mostly adjunct (at least the ones I had) and were difficult to get a hold of/had high course loads, some came across very lackadaisical. Here is my issue: I have entered into a MSW program at a highly prestigious university. I feel I am "behind" the rest of the students, as it relates to critical thinking/analysis. Most of the major's requirements were "fluff". I feel that in this regard the professors did not educate enough on development of critical analysis, and I have had to work hard outside of my master degree program to develop these skills. If you are seriously thinking about advancing your education in post-graduate studies, I would stay away from this social work degree program. If all you want is a 4 year degree and practice as a bachelor level, LSW, then by all means apply. Be prepared however, as LSW degree jobs are low-paying and menial- you will not do clinical work or provide individual therapy- you will need an LISW for this, which requires a master degree. The school WILL prepare you for LSW exam through the computer lab, which IS helpful.

The staff is friendly/approachable in the social work department, but there is a lot of favoritism amongst those who "ethnically homogenous". We are talking about a university within an exclusively urban setting, though. All in all, proceed with caution. There is a slightly "ghetto" undertone of most of the students who matriculate at this college. Albeit, a very diverse group of students.

5th Year Female -- Class 2006
Friendliness: A, Education Quality: D
Cleveland state is not a party school withAverageCriminal
Cleveland state is not a party school with big greeks or a school with lots of fun activities. seriously all except one greek house had been forclosed and the black greeks do not even exist. there is really not much to do, especially if you do not have a car. their are a few things around campus to do which is to go to tower city which is a mall with a movie theater and going to rascle house( fast food place) umm if you are 21 and up then you can go the some of the bars and bowling alley down euclid. now if you are in to shows and plays then you might like since its close to playhouse square. but the dorms are nice but other than that there really is not plus side. most people leave the next semester. cleveland state is not the best school but it is all how you make school.
1st Year Female -- Class 2009