StudentsReview :: Cleveland State University - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Total Grad Surveys 15
Females 7
Males 8
Avg years at University 1.7
Research Quality B- (5.8)
Research Availability C (4.7)
Research Funding C (4.7)
Graduate Politics C+ (5.1)
Not Errand Runners C+ (5.7)
Degree Completion B- (6.1)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] C (4.8)
Sufficient Pay C+ (5.0)
Competitiveness C+ (5.2)
Education Quality C (4.4)
Faculty Accessibility C (4.9)
Useful Research C+ (5.7)
"Individual" treatment C+ (5.0)
Friendliness C+ (5.6)
Safety C (4.6)
Campus Beauty B- (6.0)
Campus Maintenance B (6.6)
University Spending B- (5.8)
Extracurriculars C+ (5.5)
Scholastic Success C+ (5.6)
Surrounding City B (6.9)
Social Life/ Environment C+ (5.7)
Education QualityC
Surrounding CityB
Curriculum in the class for 2015 was fromJan 18 2016Education
Curriculum in the class for 2015 was from 2005. There is no accountability for adviser support or providing current industry skills needed. After working in the field for twenty years, I returned back to college from the corporate environment. The program is out of date. I would never recommend CSU to any professional associates based on the administrative staff treatment. Advisers and professors simply don't care about the quality and treatment they provide. I have no clue as to how this college is operating. I would rather never attend a college than to have to attend here again.
The Educational Technology and Adult Learning master programJun 08 2015Education
The Educational Technology and Adult Learning master programs are out of date. I would not bother applying to either of these programs. I took a course for Educational Technology is summer 2015. The curriculum and activities being taught had to been from 2003-2004. There were broken links online. Don't bother trying to get anyone to be accountable. Nobody cares. The program is not even up to date with APA standards. The program coordinator and professor have no accountability. This is a waste of tuition. I would not ever recommend a course from either program. If you call or email, you will just get tossed around even when the professor admits he doesn't have time to update or dedicate to the course. The professor and program coordinator are very aware of the issues with ETE501. They just care about the money and simply make excuse after excuse to Not update and fix the curriculum. How does that not impact our very own children in the Cleveland community? And people wonder why the school systems are behind in educational technology. Possibly the professor and program coordinator need to wake up and see the real world around them. They are in complete denial and are living in their own 'little' worlds. It is sad, because these people could have a positive impact in the level of education in the Cleveland area, but they chose the easy, lazy way out....and still get paid. The program and staff are a dissapointment. They know it and don't even care. Again, I would not invest in any time or money in either of these programs.
I just graduated from Cleveland State with aJan 19 2015Electrical Engineering
I just graduated from Cleveland State with a Master degree in Electrical Engineering. I had the worst experience ever in this school. Most of the Electrical Engineering are selfish. Especially my adviser Ana Stankovic.. She's the most selfish and arrogant person I have ever met. She delayed my graduation a complete semester which cost me thousands of dollars. She doesn't know how to teach and doesn't care about students. She plays a lot of politics.Another horrible professor was Villaseca. He's a real racist professor. He should get fired for discriminating against students. I had a power electronics teacher by the name of Peter Kasack who barely showed up to teach during the semester. He canceled class more than he showed up. No one learned anything and everyone got an A. Don't ask me how. This school has the worst teachers in Ohio. If you want to learn, don't go there. I literally just paid money to get my degree and learned most of the things that I know now on my own and from my job.
Feb 26 2014Electrical Engineering
Good university with world class facilities
I really had goodAug 29 2011Chemical Engineering
I really had good experience in my lab and in my department. I had no problem with funding through my studies. my adviser is very friendly and helpful and the department (Chemical and Biomedical engineering) is a very good place to study at. I had good quality research and high hopes for the future.
the computer science departmentNov 15 2010Computer Science
the computer science department in the csu is worst department thgan any other. The computer science department has pre required courses for masters..........and some prof teach without the basic saying......the fee is high
Mar 29 2010Urban Planning
stay awayyyyyyy
This school is not worth the money itApr 07 2009Business - Management and Administration
This school is not worth the money it sucks from you. They suck money from you for every little thing. CSU is a below average school with a below average faculty and staff. Unfortunately i was unable to transfer. I'd suggest international students to not join this school. Career Services is bad as well. CSU has no criteria for choosing the students for the programs. They accept any and everyone. Sticking around in CSU has made me doubt my capability. It needs to revise and update courses and programs.I have no regards for this school
Cleveland State University may have some good faculty,Mar 20 2009Education
Cleveland State University may have some good faculty, but the university itself (including the President, provost, program chairs, and board of trustees) have no interest in the students or the student's interests in advancing academically. Tuition has increased exponentially over the past ten years, as have all other expenses related to procuring an education (e.g. parking, books, print services, credit card fees, food, etc.). They have misused and abused appropriated funds, lied to the Ohio Board of Reagents regarding a recent land acquisition, and continue to maliciously mislead incoming freshman. Furthermore, they accept EVERYONE - Dumbing down the campus as they rely on their percentage cut of student Federal financial aid.
Cleveland State is probably the biggest joke inMar 08 2009Communications
Cleveland State is probably the biggest joke in the world!!!! Don't ever come here!! Check the transfer out rate and you will know the truth! Don't be fooled by CSU's so-call urban university, the Cleveland is dying! It's absolutely not a academically good university, and I suggest all the international students don't apply and transfer out, because it doesn't give you the value that you pay for!! Kids here are mostly NOT SMART, and neither the professors!!
I am a current student here in clevelandFeb 21 2009Business - Management and Administration
I am a current student here in cleveland state, my suggestion is DON'T EVER NEVER COME TO cleveland state!!!! It's gonna be ur hugest mistake in you life. The school is poor, actually the whole cleveland is poor! And all they want is to take every penny in your pocket!!! They have a lot of useless courses, such as communication and business english, which are all bull shit. CSU also has very bad policy for international students, very expensive with its poor education system and quality!!!! If you spend this amount of money in CSU, please go to a private university, any one of those private universities or state universities is much better than cleveland state. The biggest challenge is to find a university that is worse than cleveland state, I am seriously, most of my friends are transferring out, and me too. We smart people deserve better schools, don't ever be fooled by this stupid cleveland state university!!
Simply put I would not recommend this schoolJan 19 2009Music - Performance
Simply put I would not recommend this school to my worst enemy let alone someone I actually liked. At this point I think it may actually be impossible to graduate from this school because of the departments lack of organization. I have also come the conclusion that they may not want people to graduate because enrollment is vary low and if you keep students from graduating then the facility will still have jobs. DO NOT GO HERE!
The prospect of this university seemed great fromJun 30 2008Music - Performance
The prospect of this university seemed great from the beginning but I soon found out that it is a dieing program trying to hang on to something. Everything I was promised and looking forward to from the start never happened ex: I was suppose to play in a grad quartet, a major reason for my interest in the program, which never happened. I was forgot about both years I have been there so far by the graduate coordinator which meant I never received information the first year about meetings I was suppose to attend; and the second year I wasn't even given a grad contract until I called and inquired even though I was told the year before that I didn't have anything to worry about. No one in the entire department has any idea about what is going on. For example if you need to get a form for something or have a question you can't just ask someone and get an answer of what to do or who to talk because if you listen to then nine times out of ten you will have to do it over a different way and it takes ten times longer to get it done. I can in no way shape of form say that anyone should attend this university unless you want to spend more time dealing with useless administrative running around that should be easy and take little time but never ends up this way. I give this department an F
Coming to pursue my Graduate studies in USAOct 03 2007Computer Science
Coming to pursue my Graduate studies in USA ws quite an experience for me. After reaching at Cleveland State University things changed. It was quite different from the perception. As in overall the University is good but as of academics go its not upto the mark. The classes are very boring and less informative. The faculty ust comes and teaches whatever is their in the pre available notes. The concepts are not clear. Lot of assignments. Faculty ae approachable and helpful but they cant explain well. The university has good infrastructure and technical availability. In case you dont have any other admits do come to CSU or else avoid. The fees has been reaching skies.
My review concerns the Chemical Engineering Department onlyDec 17 2005Chemical Engineering
My review concerns the Chemical Engineering Department only. I am not qualified to speak to the other departments with much authority.

I joined CSU thinking that all 4th tier public colleges would be similar in their quality of education and research. Unfortunately, I was so wrong. The graduate program is not focused on research. If you are hoping to perform interesting research in a state-of-the-art facility, please consider U of Toledo, the Ohio State U, U of Cinci or one of the many other universities in Ohio. Students are not allowed to seek research opportunities outside of the department and are discouraged from visiting labs or doing rotations within the department prior to advisor assignment. Students thus have to make an uninformed decision when requesting an advisor.

The level of funding for graduate students is the worst I have ever known or heard of, even for a public school. There are actually graduate students in this department who are paying for their tuition and get no stipend. Now, this is unheard of in an engineering school. Those of us who do get stipends are still below the poverty level and qualify for welfare. Although the stipend is so little, we are not allowed (per our contract) to get an outside job. Of course, tuition waivers and stipends come with the price tag of fored teaching assistantship, which is understandable. However, it is likely that the graduate student will be assisting in a class he or she has never taken. Obviously, the undergrads suffer because of this policy.

I have met a couple of supportive and helpful faculty members who clearly are using CSU as a stepping stone in their career. The permanent faculty, however, have no interest in the students and are known to use name-calling and insults in the classroom to point out when a student is doing something incorrectly. This is most evident in the Advanced Thermodynamics course where the professor laughs and ridicules the students on an almost daily basis. The behavior of this one instructor makes me embarrassed to be asssociated with this department at all.

Unfortunately, the grading scale is frequently not known during the course and tests are handed back after several weeks. We typically don't know if we are doing A work or F work. Even when asked directly about the grading methods and scale, the faculty will usually not give a straight answer. This is extrememly frustrating and not acceptable.

My experience in this department has been terrible. Several of my peers regret joining CSU and worry that their futures are limited now. I worry for them, too. It's unfortunate that members of the department outright lie and deceive the students prior to their enrollment. With graduate school it's not as easy to transfer schools and in the case of international students, it is darn near impossible. The only good reason to attend CSU-Chemical Engineering is if you can do your project or thesis at your employer's and will have your tuition reimbursed. There is no reason to come here from overseas, despite the propaganda they must be sending out.

For a state universityAug 26 2005English
For a state university in an urban environment CSU is not only affordable but I have found exceptionally qualified faculty and an excellent opportunity to learn and advance myself.
Compare CSUSave CSU