StudentsReview ™ :: Case Western Reserve University - Comments and Student Experiences

Carnegie Mellon University -- Pittsburgh, PA
Cornell University -- Ithaca, NY

Case Western Reserve University

Where do I start?!

Oct 29 2002Psychology
Where do I start?! This university is terrible First off, O never hear from my advisor, ever. He is suppose to be a guide and yet I have to lead him everytime. And, he never organizes any advisee activities. Second, this master plan thing. Well, it's wonderful, if you're going to be here in 2012 or later. My room , er closet, yeah 10x8 here too, sucks. Everywhere else I hear of has A/C and their own bathroom, a kitchen at least for every floor, etc. We have none of that. Then, the fact that our rec. facility is falling apart. Oh yeah I guess it's ok to leave it, after all they want to gut it and redo anyways. I am forced to be on this meal plan where there is no possiblity of healthy, decent food. Just a word too about the dorm, I live at the top of a giant "hill" at the very end of the South side of campus. I am 20 minutes from all student activitites, my major's dept., the library, and most of my classes. NOt only that, but I have to walk up these stairs that anyone could liken to committing suicide! Don't get me wrong, I think the education is great, but there is much more to it then just class. Which makes me think about the people and the things to do here. There are no people here. The only ones I see are in my class and the brothers in my fraternity (not frat). everyone else sits at their computer and studies or masterbates. (Why else don't they ever leave the room) Especially seeing as how 2/3's of this place is guys, the girls think they are all gorgeous. WRONG!!!! You are not ladies, and you should accept the date offers you get. BIg heads=bad guy. As for activites , the student body has many, but they are not well attened, again b/c most stay in their rooms and never come out. Wandering off campus is rediculious. East of us is East Cleveland, the worst area in Greater Cleveland. YOu don't leave campus unless you have a bulletproof car. And if you go West to the Flats, you best have a good fake or be 21. Can't have fun over there unless you can drink, b/c everything is a bar. THe museums you can get into free are nice, but get old, and most "special" exhibts you still have to pay for. (Money is tight here as you spend $10-15000 in loans to stay here) The orchestra is great, but tickets are expensive. There are student tickets but they are in promenade section, which means you cannot see the orchestra. I sat in them once and it just so happens that they happened to have a screen above the stage with the translation from French to English of the music being sung. Couldn't see it in promenade, thankfully I was able to sneak into the main floor seats. Parking is a big issue. They over sell some lots, so you get a ticket for parking in your lot even with a permit displayed. YOu will spend ~$300 to park for the year, which for a student is crazy. The Parking lot police are morons and ticket everyone at least once, and at times like 1:28 or 4:37 in the morning. Overall I think my experience here has been crap. Is guess the question at hand is do you suffer the bs and get a high quality education, or do you go some where that you will have a good time and be able to get a decent education? I would tell you to opt for the latter. You'll be happier, unless CWRU is going to pay you to be here or give you a full tuition scholarship.
1st Year Male -- Class 2005
Extracurricular Activities: B+, Campus Aesthetics: F

The average aptitude test scores for students at

Aug 14 2002Engineering Department
The average aptitude test scores for students at CWRU are similar to those for students at Cornell and Georgetown, and far surpass those at such schools as Berkeley and Michigan.

However, the reputation at this university lags severely behind. I studied engineering, and had a miserable time finding a job after leaving this hell.

For potential engineers:
Unless you are female, an avid computer gamer, or one who enjoys hours of solitude in dingy, outdated, and overpriced dorms, you should not come here. The teaching is horrible, and the grading is often unfair. There is NOTHING to do on campus. There is virtually no social interaction due to the heavy work load and the horrible layout of the campus.

The level of difficulty at Case is adjusted to be similar to Case's self-proclaimed peer institutions: MIT and Northwestern. I have seen and practiced with exams from these schools, and they are of equal or lesser difficulty that those given at Case. I have browsed the course notes of graduates of many other institutions, and have been shocked by the ease. When selecting an engineering school please look over old exams, class notes, and compare the difficulty with the school's reputation.

There is an exception for those who are set on graduate school. The opportunities for research are tremendous. Case graduates are accepted at the very best graduate schools. Those in academia understand that this is a difficult school. I had a great time with graduate admissions. (This came at the cost of four years of pain and suffering.)

For pre-med students:

The arts and science (non physics) classes here are very, very, very (yes, I typed the word ,"very", three times)easy. If you wish to enter medical school, a high GPA takes much less effort here than is expected.

For females:
Your first week at CWRU will be normal, but soon after this, you will find that regardless of diet, grooming, hygiene, personality, or odor, you will consider yourself more and more attractive as the years pass. The lack of women is so severe that you will eventually feel like a princess. If this doesn't happen, you will find friends at the feminist majority leadership.

All things said and done, I see this

Apr 02 2002Other
All things said and done, I see this as four years of my life that will eventually pass. It is not an eternity and I'll get through it eventually. I do not foresee myself looking back at my years at Case with a tear in my eye. Get in and get out is my policy. Its not that the people who come out of their rooms aren't nice, its just that there are a lot of drawbacks. Cleveland weather sucks...prepare to go into a gray, cold bubble that never leaves. Prepare to be frightened to walk more than twenty feet off campus in any direction at night for fear of an attack. The food sucks too...really bad....same thing day after day after day after day after day...you get the picture. And the master plan rips us off too. We are required to live on campus with a meal plan until we are 21 which means you shell out a LOT of money for poor service and living conditions. Right now I'm lucky to live in my own room, excuse me, closet, thats right, it is 8x10 feet, and hasn't been renovated since the CIT joined WRU, that means there is still a tie rack in my closet, and I'm a girl. I do like my major here, Nutrition, my advisor is awesome. Everything else here...yeah it sucks. But its not an eternity, and eventually I'll get out of here. If this is how you want to spend the next four years of your life, come on over, but don't say I didn't warn you.
1st Year Female -- Class 2005