StudentsReview :: Case Western Reserve University - Comments and Student Experiences

Carnegie Mellon University -- Pittsburgh, PA
Cornell University -- Ithaca, NY

Case Western Reserve University

Hurt, CWRU dammaged my

Feb 25 2002Physics
Hurt, CWRU dammaged my ablility to succeed, I'm still realing from the time wasted there, poor classes which often didn't relate to reality. They were either good or bad, but mostly the bad ones did so much academic dammage. I've gone to other schools. Avoid CWRU!
Starting Job: Display Engineer Preparedness: - Reputation: -

The department I was in was really rotten,

Feb 25 2002Electrical Engineering
The department I was in was really rotten, people were cheating, learning just didn't matter. My advisors were nuts, most of the one advisor's students quit because he was so crule. I didn't like it there. It was a very bad experience. I am very dissapointed ot have gone there. It was not worth my time. Avoid this place!
Starting Job: Engineer Preparedness: - Reputation: -

This school has a lot of potential for

Feb 25 2002Physics
This school has a lot of potential for those that want to challenge themselves academically. The social scene is a big fat 0. It is advantageous to be from the area, so you have a car, or have friends with a car. Having access to a car is key- no car==no fun. You should get off campus ASAP. Screw the rules and regulations regarding living in the dorms, they are bogus. Just say you are living with your parents, the school will never know.

Frats and Sor. houses are OK- they can be kinda lame, but I guess it depends on what you like. Best places to live- Little Italy (if you are of color, watch out!) or Coventry(all varieties of life welcome here, and then some). If you have a car or can brave the bus (never on time), you could try living near Shaker Square, or deeper into Cleveland Heights than Coventry (Cedar-Fairmount is also nice). Remember, if you come to CWRU, you didn't come here for the parties. Cleveland Institute of Music and CIoArt have very eclectic students. Please introduce yourselves to them. Cultural activities abound in University Circle. You should visit the Art Museum often- it is world class. Orchestra tickets can be had for cheap for those that get the reserved for Students ones ($2, not $34).

My professors were awesome in Physics. I had a small graduating class and we were pretty tight. Outside of physics, I took a slew of engineering courses- these were actually pretty good, and prepped you for industry/grad school quite well. The professors are EXTREMELY available, even for some of the big classes. I never had an issue setting up an appointment to see any faculty or staff. I still keep in contact with my profs to this day, and they have been instrumental in my success AFTER graduation. These people care about us- a lot.The school is expensive- but you get what you pay for. Easy access to professors, top quality education, and so many scholarship opportunities that the real cost should definitely be below 10,000 not including room and board. This is a bit higher than most state schools, but we are talking about a private institution here. All in all, I would go to Case all over again if I had too. Feel free to ask me questions.

4th Year Male -- Class 2000