StudentsReview :: Case Western Reserve University - Comments and Student Experiences

Carnegie Mellon University -- Pittsburgh, PA
Cornell University -- Ithaca, NY

Case Western Reserve University

CWRU helped me understand that because of my

Jun 05 2012Psychology
CWRU helped me understand that because of my race and my sex, it was going to be difficult to find a job. I received no advice from any of my professors or my academic adviser. Most of my classroom questions while at Case were responded to in an impudent, condescending manner. I have never had such a large group of people that I really did not know, hate me so strongly for reasons I still do not understand. I spent so much time alone, researching whatever interested me in the library. One of those ideas turned into a career that earned absolutely no money at all during the first year and a half after graduation. Eventually I found a niche for my idea and started making decent good money. I work for myself and hire on a contract basis certain functions that require certain licenses, education or skills. It took me only 6 months to earn just over 100K this year and my business is growing quickly. I am successful despite what happened to me at Case, not because of that place. I received one of those alumni requests for money just a few days ago. Hell would freeze over first...
Preparedness: A Reputation: D

I graduated from Case in 2008 with a

Dec 21 2011Civil Engineering
I graduated from Case in 2008 with a sociology degree and graduated with a civil engineering degree from Case in 2011. I attended Case for 5 and half years, completed published research, a engineering co-op, and dual degrees. I also become involved in greek life and become a commissioned officer through the ROTC program. I stayed very busy while in school, Case is not for the faint of heart or party driven individuals. It is challanging and chalk full of over-achievers as students and facualty. It is not overly friendly school, its full of nerds, but I found many friends I still keep in touch with. Go to Case knowing you will be challanged and pay top dollar for it. I have zero regret having attended Case and strangely, I love Cleveland.
Preparedness: A Reputation: C

Where to start

Aug 31 2012Mechanical Engineering
Where to start.. Case Western was my number once college choice. The campus wasn't ideal, but it seemed to attract the same sort of people as me, and they were motivated to learn while still having fun.

IN REALITY:
The campus is modern, though awkward. The student body is divided by Euclid, the main street in Cleveland. The campus has no center. New shopping center on Euclid should be nice. Lots and lots of crime. Freshman dorms border an impoverished area. Lots of muggings.

TEACHERS:
Well. The professors are, generally, as expected. Terrible, TERRIBLE professors for the large freshmen classes (Physics especially). Chris Butler, who teaches Calc 1, was amazing.

ENGINEERING:
Professors will try to drown you in course work. I tried to maintain a semblance of a social life, but you really cannot outside of study groups and maybe ONE night of partying every other week.

The work felt like busy work. My professors were very vague about what they wanted. Some of the students who ran Review Sessions were even critical of their professors. In Physics 1, I received Statics problems with no assistance from the teacher.

The teachers were the worst part about Case.
DEANS/ FACULTY:

HA. The Dean was terrible. I met with him to talk about why I was doing poorly. He had no advice, just to do better. My freshman advisor was a random English teacher. Don't expect anything great.

DORMS:
If you're not an antisocial fuck, you'll like it. Typical freshman dorms.
OVERALL:
If you want to go to college to get an excellent job and that's it, go here. Suffer through. All Case did for me was make me graduate later than all my friends, and learn that sometimes colleges just want to get as many students through as possible, with future plans for being a good university.

1st Year Male -- Class 2015