StudentsReview :: Case Western Reserve University - Comments and Student Experiences

Carnegie Mellon University -- Pittsburgh, PA
Cornell University -- Ithaca, NY

Case Western Reserve University

Hello everyone that might be interested in thisQuite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
Hello everyone that might be interested in this school. Let me give you a little advice. If you want a good education at a fairly decent price, this is the place to go. The education quality is good and the professors are usually good (at the higher leves that is). That's about all I can say that's good about this university. Now let's move onto the bad. Here is my disclaimer: The following points are based on my subjective feelings about the university; I understand that others may have a different attitude, but I feel the need for people to be infomed. No let's get started. There is nothing on campus. Yes you can go visit the museum or botanical gardens for free, or pay a huge charge of $34 dollars to see the Cleveland Orchestra. However, these great things are overshadowed by the smaller things. There is no private book store, convenience store, movie theater, grocery store, or even a CD store withing 40 minutes of walking distance. You have to pay $17 dollars to get a simple haircut and pay double the price on goods at the university "convenience" store. IF YOU DON'T have a car, you're out of luck. Freshmen virtually have no chance to get a university parking permit. Yes there is public transportation, but it is terrible and the timings are always off. Everything is within driving distance. Don't live on south side. I heard only six freshmen live on south side this year. North side is okay. All the dorms look identical and makes you feel like you're living in a socialistic society. There are only two dining halls, one on north side, one on south side. The food is pretty bad, but I understand that this is usually true at other colleges. If you're not 21 you can't have an apartment: PERIOD. This means that you have to spend your four years in a dorm and are forced to be on the meal plan whether you like it or not. The residence life staff people are intolerant of everything that many people believe what makes college fun: alcohol, smoking, and heckling in general. Most of the students that I've gotten to know are bookworms during the week and computer gamers during the weekend. This is how dorm life is for me, and I supposedly live in one of the most social dorms on campus.... Basically, if you want a life, you're going to have to join a fraternity or sorority. Frats and Sororities don't really accept people past the beginning of their sophemore year. So if you figure this out too late, you'll find yourself in a very antisocial sector. Frats are also getting influenced to have less parties and such. I'm not a partier, but I do every once in a while just want to have a bit of fun with some friends after a hard week of tests. Another thing is that this school is 2/3 's male. Girls, you might like that. Let me tell you though: being a freshman guy here STINKS. Don't let the statistics or the university fool you. This university has an "urban campus." However, most people would think that this would be a positive thing. It most certainly isn't. There is the area known as East Cleveland To the North and Northeast of campus. That area has more homicides than the entire city of Cleveland. There is more ghetto on the west side and southwest side of campus. South of campus is nice supposedly. I haven't been past the south side of campus since just walking to the south side of campus takes 25 minutes. Finally on the east side of campus is the only thing that I like: Little Italy. There are some shops and restaurants here. Not really anything THAT spectacular; most of the shops and restaurants are expensive. This is my basic attitude towards this university. It sucks. I understand it's all on your point of view or your thoughts about how college would be. I am disappointed and will most likely be transferring out of this school. Paying a little bit more money for the sake of having an adequate life is something I'm willing to do. If you are into gadgets, technology, computers, studying, and not doing anything else, this is definately the place for you to go. Business people need to socialize. It's how we function. I'm sorry if I'm bursting some bubbles about how this school is. I just don't want anyone to make the same mistake that I did. Thank you.
1st Year Male -- Class 2005
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Social Life: F
I came to Case as an Electrical EngineeringQuite BrightHistory/Histories (art history/etc.)
I came to Case as an Electrical Engineering major and after 3 and 1/2 years, I couldn't take it anymore. I never thought I would have to deal with so many sexist unsuportive teachers as I did. I had multiple teachers inform me that since I was a girl, I should switch to an easier major. Not all profs were like that, Professor Merat was one of the best/most supportive that I had. I switched to History because I was working on a history minor and I didn't want to leave Case b/c I really like the school. I plan on finishing my Engineering elsewhere. I recomend the school, and I even recommend most engineerings to females but beware of the EE department.
5th Year Female -- Class 2002
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Perceived Campus Safety: C+
I love the physicsQuite BrightEngineering Department
I love the physics department. I like being here pretty well.Computer department is not the best, though the students in it are really great people.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2002