StudentsReview :: Case Western Reserve University - Comments and Student Experiences

Carnegie Mellon University -- Pittsburgh, PA
Cornell University -- Ithaca, NY

Case Western Reserve University

Case is a pretty

Dec 06 2011Aerospace Engineering
Case is a pretty good school; there's not a ton to do, but I feel that I am getting the education I need, albeit while sacrificing sleep.
1st Year Male -- Class 2015
Education Quality: A, Collaboration/Competitive: C+

Case is a great place if take advantage

Dec 01 2011PreMed and Medical
Case is a great place if take advantage of certain opportunities. If you want a decent social scene, I HIGHLY recommend getting involved in greek life and clubs/sports. Case is not a party school by any definition, so getting connected with people is vital (this is for dudes).

With regards to academics, classes are not that different from other universities; your grades reflect how much effort you put into studying. If you didn't have trouble in the past academically, then Case shouldn't be that bad. If your wondering most professors are friendly and nice but make sure you look at individual reviews.

Here is a simple list of a few things I like and don't like about Case:
I like,
1.)that the campus looks nice
2.)that there are a variety of clubs
I don't like
1.) that the food and the food service is atrocious
2.) that the gym is far away and is a bit run down
3.) that the dining halls and certain facilities have weird open hours
4.) that the campus is long so it's a 15-20 minute walk from the freshman dorms to the gym/classes
5.) that there is somewhat of a lack of activities for students
6.) that cleveland can be ghetto as hell
7.) that cleveland has dreary weather
8.) that the city itself doesn't have much to offer
9.) that if you don't have a car it sucks to get anywhere outside of campus
Case has all the things that other schools offer. It just may be much harder to find them here than other places.

1st Year Male -- Class 2015
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Surrounding City: F

I must admit, until I read the reviews

Nov 17 2011Psychology
I must admit, until I read the reviews about Case Western, I thought I had done something wrong. Needless to say, I had an awful experience at this University and most certainly would never attend this school again. First, the people in financial aid are totally incompetent. I had to fill out a Case specific MPN twice before my loan was processed, a full five weeks after school started. Then, I was told to go to each of my professors and explain to the that I was on financial aid and could not afford my books and supplies. I was grilled during class by several instructors on the reasons I did not have my books/why I wasn't prepared for class, and ordered to share books with other students who proceeded to avoid me like the plague. I wrote the Dean several e-mails about my frustrating and humiliating experiences on campus, it took her almost 3 weeks to even ask if I would come in for an appointment, and then, she asked me why it had taken me so long to come in and see her. It took numerous calls and e-mails to finally get my financial aid check - which was of course too late for me to actually catch up in my class work. When I did finally get to see the Dean, she called me 'girlfriend' and I sat there with my mouth open. As an African American, I wasn't sure if we had just become best buddies or she had tactlessly decided that was the time to use a racially directed nickname for me. Whatever the case may be, I still wasn't sure whether or not I would return to Case Western next semester - until she told me that next semester, I had better get MY ducks in order.

I was so honored to be chosen to go to Case. I worked so hard for each of my grades at my last college, I finished most of Associate Degree in two semesters and a summer session, and I already had a cutting edge research project in mind. I was ready for the challenge. What I wasn't ready for was incompetence, egomania, and blatent neglect. I can only guess that the people who donate large sums of money to the institution do so because they are not made aware of that students are actually driven away from this school by the droves. I can also only imagine that the faculty and staff are so very full of themselves and the 'Case' reputation that they prefer to ignore the simple fact that the hype does not match the reality of the situation.I allowed this institution to waste a semester of my time and I would urge anyone, including my worst enemy, not to make the same mistake. There are better Universities and you all are good students, you can get into one. Bypass this nightmare and choose a school that cares about its students, their lives, and their futures. If you don't, you can never say I didn't warn you!

1st Year Female -- Class 2013