StudentsReview :: Case Western Reserve University - Comments and Student Experiences

Carnegie Mellon University -- Pittsburgh, PA
Cornell University -- Ithaca, NY

Case Western Reserve University

Nov 17 2011Psychology
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I must admit, until I read the reviews about Case Western, I thought I had done something wrong. Needless to say, I had an awful experience at this University and most certainly would never attend this school again. First, the people in financial aid are totally incompetent. I had to fill out a Case specific MPN twice before my loan was processed, a full five weeks after school started. Then, I was told to go to each of my professors and explain to the that I was on financial aid and could not afford my books and supplies. I was grilled during class by several instructors on the reasons I did not have my books/why I wasn't prepared for class, and ordered to share books with other students who proceeded to avoid me like the plague. I wrote the Dean several e-mails about my frustrating and humiliating experiences on campus, it took her almost 3 weeks to even ask if I would come in for an appointment, and then, she asked me why it had taken me so long to come in and see her. It took numerous calls and e-mails to finally get my financial aid check - which was of course too late for me to actually catch up in my class work. When I did finally get to see the Dean, she called me 'girlfriend' and I sat there with my mouth open. As an African American, I wasn't sure if we had just become best buddies or she had tactlessly decided that was the time to use a racially directed nickname for me. Whatever the case may be, I still wasn't sure whether or not I would return to Case Western next semester - until she told me that next semester, I had better get MY ducks in order.

I was so honored to be chosen to go to Case. I worked so hard for each of my grades at my last college, I finished most of Associate Degree in two semesters and a summer session, and I already had a cutting edge research project in mind. I was ready for the challenge. What I wasn't ready for was incompetence, egomania, and blatent neglect. I can only guess that the people who donate large sums of money to the institution do so because they are not made aware of that students are actually driven away from this school by the droves. I can also only imagine that the faculty and staff are so very full of themselves and the 'Case' reputation that they prefer to ignore the simple fact that the hype does not match the reality of the situation.I allowed this institution to waste a semester of my time and I would urge anyone, including my worst enemy, not to make the same mistake. There are better Universities and you all are good students, you can get into one. Bypass this nightmare and choose a school that cares about its students, their lives, and their futures. If you don't, you can never say I didn't warn you!

1st Year Female -- Class 2013
Aug 18 2011Undecided
1. Students are easy targets to be mugged on campus
2. The campus food is awful
3. My business school advisor didn't care at all about my career decisions. Impatient, no empathy, etc.

4. A lot of my friends transferred out from Case either after their first year or second year.
5. You will be miserable because of the serious lack of a female population6. Only if you're absolutely sure you want to do engineering or biomed as a career should you consider this school.

1st Year Male -- Class 2008
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Education Quality: F
Jul 20 2011Electrical Engineering
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
This school is so packed with bureaucracy, you will rarely ever see a personal touch here. It will take you days to change anything regarding meal plans, loans, or anything relating to money.

And don't even get me started about the faculty! One of my teachers--the teacher for the first THREE courses in Electrical Engineering, all of which are required, doesn't even have office hours! He has a full-time job at Nasa, which he will never fail to remind you in his lessons. His job involves designing circuits, and it shows--all he'll ever do in class is draw out circuits he designed, and give a terrible explanation of them (mostly consisting of telling you what he just drew). The quizzes he gives you are an exercise in remembering exact quotes by him--sometimes having to recide metaphors he said once in class a week prior.

The campus is full of ugly statues, gloomy and overworked students, and faculty that care ten times as much about their research as your education. The bottom line: This is your backup school. Only go here if you absolutely NEED to. And be prepared to fend off misery.

1st Year Male -- Class 2015