StudentsReview :: Case Western Reserve University - Comments and Student Experiences

Carnegie Mellon University -- Pittsburgh, PA
Cornell University -- Ithaca, NY

Case Western Reserve University

I am currently a first-year

Oct 23 2012Engineering Department
I am currently a first-year. To be honest, I think I had the wrong expectation about Case. Technically it is in the city, but it takes at least a half an hour to actually get downtown where everything is happening. The nightlife is not so good. You have to make a large effort to find parties on Friday and Saturday nights. It is particularly hard to find events to go to.

As for academics, the first year is all about getting through core requirements. The weed-out classes begin your second year. So far, the only classes where my homework was not busy work have been my social studies class, and I am an engineering major. Hopefully things get better.The dining services are downright awful. I don't understand how you are supposed to survive on flour and sugar for 9 months of the year. You only have 2 places where you can use meal swipes, and their quality of food is low. You can use a meal swipe at Denny's, but you can only do so once a week. Plus, the dining halls use large amounts of grease on everything they cook, so most of their food is particularly hard to digest. There are many other things wrong with the dining services, but that is only part of it.

1st Year Male -- Class 2016
Campus Aesthetics: A-, Social Life: D

Where to start

Aug 31 2012Mechanical Engineering
Where to start.. Case Western was my number once college choice. The campus wasn't ideal, but it seemed to attract the same sort of people as me, and they were motivated to learn while still having fun.

IN REALITY:
The campus is modern, though awkward. The student body is divided by Euclid, the main street in Cleveland. The campus has no center. New shopping center on Euclid should be nice. Lots and lots of crime. Freshman dorms border an impoverished area. Lots of muggings.

TEACHERS:
Well. The professors are, generally, as expected. Terrible, TERRIBLE professors for the large freshmen classes (Physics especially). Chris Butler, who teaches Calc 1, was amazing.

ENGINEERING:
Professors will try to drown you in course work. I tried to maintain a semblance of a social life, but you really cannot outside of study groups and maybe ONE night of partying every other week.

The work felt like busy work. My professors were very vague about what they wanted. Some of the students who ran Review Sessions were even critical of their professors. In Physics 1, I received Statics problems with no assistance from the teacher.

The teachers were the worst part about Case.
DEANS/ FACULTY:

HA. The Dean was terrible. I met with him to talk about why I was doing poorly. He had no advice, just to do better. My freshman advisor was a random English teacher. Don't expect anything great.

DORMS:
If you're not an antisocial fuck, you'll like it. Typical freshman dorms.
OVERALL:
If you want to go to college to get an excellent job and that's it, go here. Suffer through. All Case did for me was make me graduate later than all my friends, and learn that sometimes colleges just want to get as many students through as possible, with future plans for being a good university.

1st Year Male -- Class 2015
Friendliness: A, Individual Value: F

I must admit, until I read the reviews

Nov 17 2011Psychology
I must admit, until I read the reviews about Case Western, I thought I had done something wrong. Needless to say, I had an awful experience at this University and most certainly would never attend this school again. First, the people in financial aid are totally incompetent. I had to fill out a Case specific MPN twice before my loan was processed, a full five weeks after school started. Then, I was told to go to each of my professors and explain to the that I was on financial aid and could not afford my books and supplies. I was grilled during class by several instructors on the reasons I did not have my books/why I wasn't prepared for class, and ordered to share books with other students who proceeded to avoid me like the plague. I wrote the Dean several e-mails about my frustrating and humiliating experiences on campus, it took her almost 3 weeks to even ask if I would come in for an appointment, and then, she asked me why it had taken me so long to come in and see her. It took numerous calls and e-mails to finally get my financial aid check - which was of course too late for me to actually catch up in my class work. When I did finally get to see the Dean, she called me 'girlfriend' and I sat there with my mouth open. As an African American, I wasn't sure if we had just become best buddies or she had tactlessly decided that was the time to use a racially directed nickname for me. Whatever the case may be, I still wasn't sure whether or not I would return to Case Western next semester - until she told me that next semester, I had better get MY ducks in order.

I was so honored to be chosen to go to Case. I worked so hard for each of my grades at my last college, I finished most of Associate Degree in two semesters and a summer session, and I already had a cutting edge research project in mind. I was ready for the challenge. What I wasn't ready for was incompetence, egomania, and blatent neglect. I can only guess that the people who donate large sums of money to the institution do so because they are not made aware of that students are actually driven away from this school by the droves. I can also only imagine that the faculty and staff are so very full of themselves and the 'Case' reputation that they prefer to ignore the simple fact that the hype does not match the reality of the situation.I allowed this institution to waste a semester of my time and I would urge anyone, including my worst enemy, not to make the same mistake. There are better Universities and you all are good students, you can get into one. Bypass this nightmare and choose a school that cares about its students, their lives, and their futures. If you don't, you can never say I didn't warn you!

1st Year Female -- Class 2013