StudentsReview :: Case Western Reserve University - Comments and Student Experiences

Carnegie Mellon University -- Pittsburgh, PA
Cornell University -- Ithaca, NY

The social life at this school is terrible.Quite BrightArt & Design Department
The social life at this school is terrible. Greek parties are not good and essentially have a monopoly on "fun things to do". People do not frequently go out, and a large percentage of the student body will look down on you if you drinkAny department outside of STEM is vastly underfunded, and they'll tell you anything to get you to go here in the first place.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2018
Collaboration/Competitive: A-, Surrounding City: F
Case is a university where you can runQuite BrightComputer Engineering
Case is a university where you can run into professors that do as little work as possible to run their class, students be damned. I have had a professor run lectures for an entire class off of notes from another professor, and refuse to answer questions!

Course sequences are complete garbage. Prerequisites won't prepare you for classes ahead, necessarily. Some classes have sections taught by different professors where the course materials covered is completely changed from beginning to end! (this happens a lot in the math department in required courses. Calc 3 and Diffeq are completely across the board!)

Classes can be incredibly unfriendly and confusing, led by professors more interested in researching than teaching. The entire engineering maths sequence is based on what the Math department wants to do (create mathematicians) and is fairly useless for the engineers. Meanwhile, you get to enjoy being run through the gauntlet in other courses and get healthy doses of confusion dumped upon you by various professors who you may or may not be able to understand. It all depends.

The university is terrible at maintaining everything, and I'm not just talking about lights in the bathrooms. As an engineer, I've prided myself in learning that our buildings are actually falling apart. I had an asbestos abatement team come into my dorm suite on south side in hazmat suits on the middle of a wedsday afternoon while I was studying. I was not informed of this, and they promptly began to set up their tent and drill into the walls.

If you want a good example, check out Millis Schmitt auditorium when you are on tour, then look up and see that the main lecture hall of this university has paint falling off the ceiling in chunks. One hit me on the head during an exam.

Dining halls are perfectly mediocre. Well, unless it is actually 2 am, at which point your options are A- starve. B- vending machine? or C- wander off into the ghetto and visit a taco bell in a crime hotspot. There used to be a white castle but it closed.

You pretty much need a car if you want to live off campus, unless you want to pay the 2 to 3x markup at the only grocery store within walking distance.

Living on the verge of the East Cleveland war zone means that students get threatened at gunpoint for their cell phones and or cars or backpacks all the time. Or you could sit in the freshman doorms on a summer evening with the windows open and listen to see if there are some nice gunshot reports rolling over the endless sea of broken homes.

A look up on the clearest cleveland night will get you at least six stars. Maybe ten. Most of the time, day and night are interchangable. Also, if you get a dorm room close to the ground floor of any building, you have a good chance of it being bright enough to read inside the dorm with the blinds closed, because LOL ultra bright streetlights. Can you put up curtains? No. I had one facing my window sideways. I painted my window black and paid a fine for it at the end of the year. Worth every penny.

Smokers beware, this university does not understand the concept of free choice in this world. There is a ban in the works that will prohibit you from even OWNING nicotine gum.

In conclusion.
I hated my time here
I regret not transferring despite my financial reasons to stay
The weather sucksDon't Go.

4th Year Male -- Class 2016
Innovation: D+, Education Quality: F
Going to CWRU has been the biggest wasteQuite BrightOther
Going to CWRU has been the biggest waste of time and money imaginable. I came in as a BME major (as do 50% of freshman) and changed to biology the first day of classes. I endured classes with 300+ students for my entire first semester and learned absolutely nothing of use. The teachers all taught from the slides and did not care if you had class during their office hours. The professor for BIO 214 was openly dismissive of students because she is a dean and has better things to do. The two teachers for that class actually went under investigation and probation for failing too many students. Next semester I took all seminar style courses which still had, on average, 25 or more students, meaning that only the most boisterous students got to talk.

Humanities is an absolute joke at this school. If you are anything other than pre-med or engineering, you will be scorned, told that your major is useless, and generally ignored. Humanities professors are given the worst offices (four teachers jammed in an office that is half the size of a STEM professor's) and given no budget whatsoever. STEM professors don't care if their students pass or fail because they are too concerned with their own research to offer office hours. Students stay in their dorms and complain about how boring Cleveland is, but they have probably only gone into the city once for a mandatory class outing.

I do not feel as though I have learned anything of significance at this school despite the numerous departments I have taken classes in. Barring two courses this semester that I actually enjoy, it has been difficult to get out of bed for even a class at 11:30 because it seems to pointless to go. It was even worse when all my classes were 300 people because all the lectures are posted online and you can rewatch them at any time, so most students just don't go to class.

I haven't met a single person at Case who isn't a freshman who enjoys this place. I know more 5th year seniors than I do sophomores. By the time the end of sophomore year comes around, students begin to realize what a terrible mistake they have made but they feel like they need to stick it out because Case is a "great" school and the only reason they are miserable is because their grades aren't good enough. Students here only care about grades. Everyone wears sweatpants every day (which may not seem like a big deal, but it gets to be really depressing) and a lot of students do not even change out of their pajamas.

The administration is a joke. They don't care about students at all. The only office worth going to is the Study Abroad Office, but their best advisor left and it has been going downhill. The Office of Student Employment never pays you on time, if they even have it in their system that they're supposed to pay you. Be prepared to wait two months for a 60 dollar check. You are a number at this school and no one here will encourage you to get to know your classmates. You better have a pretty great roommate because that's your best ticket to making friends, otherwise it's nearly impossible because no one wants to talk after class or anywhere on campus.

I know this is long-winded, but I have had the worst experience here. Luckily, I am transferring this semester, but a lot of the friends I have made here say they are already in too deep to transfer. The most common phrase I hear around Case is, "I only have two and a half years left," followed by, "what did you get on that test?" Do not come here unless you are a socially incapable genius who love rote memorization and teachers who require you to learn on your own. Don't expect to be happy here even if you are an optimistic person. This school will crush any passion you have for the subject you are studying and you will keep telling yourself, "I'll be out of here in three years..."

Surrounding City: B, Faculty Accessibility: F