StudentsReview :: Case Western Reserve University - Comments and Student Experiences

Carnegie Mellon University -- Pittsburgh, PA
Cornell University -- Ithaca, NY

Case Western Reserve University

Nov 13 2014Other
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Going to CWRU has been the biggest waste of time and money imaginable. I came in as a BME major (as do 50% of freshman) and changed to biology the first day of classes. I endured classes with 300+ students for my entire first semester and learned absolutely nothing of use. The teachers all taught from the slides and did not care if you had class during their office hours. The professor for BIO 214 was openly dismissive of students because she is a dean and has better things to do. The two teachers for that class actually went under investigation and probation for failing too many students. Next semester I took all seminar style courses which still had, on average, 25 or more students, meaning that only the most boisterous students got to talk.

Humanities is an absolute joke at this school. If you are anything other than pre-med or engineering, you will be scorned, told that your major is useless, and generally ignored. Humanities professors are given the worst offices (four teachers jammed in an office that is half the size of a STEM professor's) and given no budget whatsoever. STEM professors don't care if their students pass or fail because they are too concerned with their own research to offer office hours. Students stay in their dorms and complain about how boring Cleveland is, but they have probably only gone into the city once for a mandatory class outing.

I do not feel as though I have learned anything of significance at this school despite the numerous departments I have taken classes in. Barring two courses this semester that I actually enjoy, it has been difficult to get out of bed for even a class at 11:30 because it seems to pointless to go. It was even worse when all my classes were 300 people because all the lectures are posted online and you can rewatch them at any time, so most students just don't go to class.

I haven't met a single person at Case who isn't a freshman who enjoys this place. I know more 5th year seniors than I do sophomores. By the time the end of sophomore year comes around, students begin to realize what a terrible mistake they have made but they feel like they need to stick it out because Case is a "great" school and the only reason they are miserable is because their grades aren't good enough. Students here only care about grades. Everyone wears sweatpants every day (which may not seem like a big deal, but it gets to be really depressing) and a lot of students do not even change out of their pajamas.

The administration is a joke. They don't care about students at all. The only office worth going to is the Study Abroad Office, but their best advisor left and it has been going downhill. The Office of Student Employment never pays you on time, if they even have it in their system that they're supposed to pay you. Be prepared to wait two months for a 60 dollar check. You are a number at this school and no one here will encourage you to get to know your classmates. You better have a pretty great roommate because that's your best ticket to making friends, otherwise it's nearly impossible because no one wants to talk after class or anywhere on campus.

I know this is long-winded, but I have had the worst experience here. Luckily, I am transferring this semester, but a lot of the friends I have made here say they are already in too deep to transfer. The most common phrase I hear around Case is, "I only have two and a half years left," followed by, "what did you get on that test?" Do not come here unless you are a socially incapable genius who love rote memorization and teachers who require you to learn on your own. Don't expect to be happy here even if you are an optimistic person. This school will crush any passion you have for the subject you are studying and you will keep telling yourself, "I'll be out of here in three years..."

Surrounding City: B, Faculty Accessibility: F
Oct 23 2012Engineering Department
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I am currently a first-year. To be honest, I think I had the wrong expectation about Case. Technically it is in the city, but it takes at least a half an hour to actually get downtown where everything is happening. The nightlife is not so good. You have to make a large effort to find parties on Friday and Saturday nights. It is particularly hard to find events to go to.

As for academics, the first year is all about getting through core requirements. The weed-out classes begin your second year. So far, the only classes where my homework was not busy work have been my social studies class, and I am an engineering major. Hopefully things get better.The dining services are downright awful. I don't understand how you are supposed to survive on flour and sugar for 9 months of the year. You only have 2 places where you can use meal swipes, and their quality of food is low. You can use a meal swipe at Denny's, but you can only do so once a week. Plus, the dining halls use large amounts of grease on everything they cook, so most of their food is particularly hard to digest. There are many other things wrong with the dining services, but that is only part of it.

1st Year Male -- Class 2016
Campus Aesthetics: A-, Social Life: D
Aug 31 2012Mechanical Engineering
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Where to start.. Case Western was my number once college choice. The campus wasn't ideal, but it seemed to attract the same sort of people as me, and they were motivated to learn while still having fun.

IN REALITY:
The campus is modern, though awkward. The student body is divided by Euclid, the main street in Cleveland. The campus has no center. New shopping center on Euclid should be nice. Lots and lots of crime. Freshman dorms border an impoverished area. Lots of muggings.

TEACHERS:
Well. The professors are, generally, as expected. Terrible, TERRIBLE professors for the large freshmen classes (Physics especially). Chris Butler, who teaches Calc 1, was amazing.

ENGINEERING:
Professors will try to drown you in course work. I tried to maintain a semblance of a social life, but you really cannot outside of study groups and maybe ONE night of partying every other week.

The work felt like busy work. My professors were very vague about what they wanted. Some of the students who ran Review Sessions were even critical of their professors. In Physics 1, I received Statics problems with no assistance from the teacher.

The teachers were the worst part about Case.
DEANS/ FACULTY:

HA. The Dean was terrible. I met with him to talk about why I was doing poorly. He had no advice, just to do better. My freshman advisor was a random English teacher. Don't expect anything great.

DORMS:
If you're not an antisocial fuck, you'll like it. Typical freshman dorms.
OVERALL:
If you want to go to college to get an excellent job and that's it, go here. Suffer through. All Case did for me was make me graduate later than all my friends, and learn that sometimes colleges just want to get as many students through as possible, with future plans for being a good university.

1st Year Male -- Class 2015