StudentsReview :: Case Western Reserve University - Comments and Student Experiences

Carnegie Mellon University -- Pittsburgh, PA
Cornell University -- Ithaca, NY

Case Western Reserve University

There are two main types of people whoQuite BrightPsychology
There are two main types of people who are most likely to hate it here: people who came here as a safety that their parents picked out for them because they didn't get into a harder school, and people who are the most typical students (rich, white, male engineers from Ohio). Also, if you are paying full tuition, you are seriously being ripped off. The education is good, but not THAT good.

There are several reasons why I like this school, related to me not fitting any of the above categories. First of all, I wanted to come here; I knew what I was getting myself into when I came here. Secondly, after financial aid I'm paying less than I would to go to an overcrowded state school. I spent my whole life in large public schools and I appreciate being able to go to a small school and not have to pay the price. Thirdly, I'm majoring in Psychology and Communications. Let's just say that my classes aren't hard. I'm getting better grades than I did in high school and doing half as much work. That doesn't mean that classes aren't taught well or that I'm learning nothing, just they aren't bombarding me with unneccesary work which only causes stress. Plus, anyone here with writing or social skills has a definite edge over other students. Because competetion in my fields is light I have my choice of internships. I also get a lot of personal attension from my proffesors and advisor in these fields.

FYI: only people from the middle of nowhere think this campus is unsafe. If you look at the stats and compare to other urban campuses who'd see we're quite safe.

The frats here are really lame. More "Revenge of the Nerds" than "Animal House." People here complain A LOT more than necessary. Use your own intuition before deciding how good/bad it is.

1st Year Female -- Class 2006
Useful Schoolwork: A+, Campus Aesthetics: C-
Things are definitely getting better here at Case.Quite BrightPhysics
Things are definitely getting better here at Case. I wish that I was just now entering as a freshman. When I entered in 2000 this place was pretty awful. It took a lot to get anything out of it. A fairly drastic change in administration has occured since then. The new administration is finally starting to spend money and resources on improving student life and not just academics. There has been a lot of student input on this too. I have personally been involved on 4 different committees that were charged with renovating student areas for our needs. More importantly, they took our (student) advice and used it.

I find the faculty and administration here very wanting to help, but you need to go to them to get it. I think this has to do with them not knowing about all of the opportunities that are available to faculty as well as students. Like I said, they are very helpful when asked though. My professors, especially in the physics department, seem to do anything they can to help you out when you ask them to. Also, we personally invited the provost of the university come to our dorm to play pool and eat dinner and then he asked us our input on what we liked/disliked about the university. That was one of the best things he could have done because lots of people changed their attitude about Case that night.

The students here are not as competitive or cutthroat as I thought they were going to be. Everyone, especially in the physics department again, seems to work together on everything in the sense that we are all in this together, so let's get through it together. You can always find study groups or people willing to work with you.

There are also things that I do not like about Case. Lots of the upperclassmen have a negative attitude about everything that affects the rest of the students. They started off in a bad situation, much like mine, only worse. They tell underclassmen that "there is nothing to do" and they go ahead and believe them since they are new to the school. I fell for it my freshman year too.

The guy to girl ratio sucks, if you are a guy. It is about 60:40 now. Before they get too excited though, the girls also have to remember what they say here: "The odds are good, but the goods are odd."

Instead of typing more, here is a list of bad things and good things about CWRU.
BAD
--------
~Social attitude of students - besides what was mentioned above, many are not prepared to no longer be "the smart kid" so they are very arrogant at first

~Ratio of guy:girl
~Food - nothing to write home about
~Safety - campus is not in the best area, but they are definitely upping security around it. Just have to use your head and not walk alone at night really

GOOD
-------
~Faculty - knowledgable and willing to help
~New Students - the new students are much mroe active and fun
~Accademic attitude of students - we are all in it together
~Opportunities ~ the Program Board gives out calenders every semester and I think almost every day has some sort of event listed on it available (95% of the time free) through them.

and, of course, my favorite place...
~The Spot - University funded bar with live music below the cafeteria, open to all students, great times to be had hereAs with any university, you have to make what you can out of your time. CWRU is exciting to be at right now with the changes going on because what you make with your time here could actually materialize into how a new campus building is going to look or how your department will teach its classes for years to come. I hope this has helped you out.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2004
Individual Value: A, Campus Aesthetics: C
This school has a lot of potential forQuite BrightPhysics
This school has a lot of potential for those that want to challenge themselves academically. The social scene is a big fat 0. It is advantageous to be from the area, so you have a car, or have friends with a car. Having access to a car is key- no car==no fun. You should get off campus ASAP. Screw the rules and regulations regarding living in the dorms, they are bogus. Just say you are living with your parents, the school will never know.

Frats and Sor. houses are OK- they can be kinda lame, but I guess it depends on what you like. Best places to live- Little Italy (if you are of color, watch out!) or Coventry(all varieties of life welcome here, and then some). If you have a car or can brave the bus (never on time), you could try living near Shaker Square, or deeper into Cleveland Heights than Coventry (Cedar-Fairmount is also nice). Remember, if you come to CWRU, you didn't come here for the parties. Cleveland Institute of Music and CIoArt have very eclectic students. Please introduce yourselves to them. Cultural activities abound in University Circle. You should visit the Art Museum often- it is world class. Orchestra tickets can be had for cheap for those that get the reserved for Students ones ($2, not $34).

My professors were awesome in Physics. I had a small graduating class and we were pretty tight. Outside of physics, I took a slew of engineering courses- these were actually pretty good, and prepped you for industry/grad school quite well. The professors are EXTREMELY available, even for some of the big classes. I never had an issue setting up an appointment to see any faculty or staff. I still keep in contact with my profs to this day, and they have been instrumental in my success AFTER graduation. These people care about us- a lot.The school is expensive- but you get what you pay for. Easy access to professors, top quality education, and so many scholarship opportunities that the real cost should definitely be below 10,000 not including room and board. This is a bit higher than most state schools, but we are talking about a private institution here. All in all, I would go to Case all over again if I had too. Feel free to ask me questions.

4th Year Male -- Class 2000