StudentsReview :: The Franciscan University of Steubenville - Comments and Student Experiences

Georgetown University -- District of Columbia, DC
Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA

The Franciscan University of Steubenville

I wish I had never gone to this school

Aug 14 2012Economics
I wish I had never gone to this school. I would be much better off if I had not, I would not have thousands in student loans; I would likely still go to daily mass. And Since I am still waiting on an advisors substitution signature for my diploma, the two degrees I slaved away for 5 years still would not be in my hands. The people you meet at this school will be theology/catechesis Majors that come from high socio economic back-grounds, they will were ties, drive nice cars, and tell you that "Jesus Loves You" whenever you bump into them on campus. If you dont come from the same back-ground, dont bother with this school b/c you will never be as holy as these people.
Starting Job: Cashier Preparedness: D Reputation: -

I was accepted to some of the most

Jan 08 2007Social Work
I was accepted to some of the most prestigious universities in the country, but decided to attend Franciscan. Big mistake. Franciscan University is located in an extremely boring city. The water quality is appallingly horrible and so is the air quality. If you don't have a car, then you're likely to be stuck on campus 24/7. The campus isn't that nice. The school seriously lacks diversity. Less than 4% of the students are ethnic minorities. Many students are closeminded. The educational quality is satisfactory, but not nearly as good as I was expecting. The cafeteria food is horrible. Housing sucks. I regret deciding to attend this school more and more each day. Transferring out of FUS isn't as easy as transferring into FUS, since many of the courses at this school aren't transferrable. FUS feels more like a boarding school than a university. The financial aid here is horrible. FUS isn't a well-known school, so if you get accepted to a prestigious school and want to have a successful future, go there. Don't waste your money on Franciscan University.If you're looking for an orthodox Catholic school, there are better options than FUS. The University of Dallas, for example, is an orthodox Catholic university with a better academic reputation than FUS.
1st Year Male -- Class 2010
Friendliness: B-, Social Life: F

Franciscan University is one of those places you

May 07 2011Communications
Franciscan University is one of those places you hear about in Catholic magazines and EWTN. When it comes to what they are known for (their Catechetics/Theology and Nursing programs), they do a good job. For anything involving Computer Science or Communications, please stay the heck away if you want to actually learn something and get your money's worth.

The computer science department is a complete joke and is quite regressed in terms of keeping up with the latest in technology (they still teach about IPX and token-ring networks for instance... something nice for novelty but not applicable to today). The faculty is also less than satisfactory for being able to teach concepts properly to someone who knows little to nothing about CS. The school would rather invest money in new ascetic modifications to the school rather than in new professors.

After having to tolerate the CS department for a year, I switched majors and went into the Communications program. Although there are a handful of decent classes, the whole program as a whole is rather limited. Not to mention, some of the professors really aren't qualified to teach and should try and consider a new hobby. Anyway, if it were not for the most wonderful woman I had ever met in my life, I would have switched schools in a heartbeat if given the option to do so. I see her as the silver lining to the whole experience at FUS and the whole reason why I am going to stay and finish up my degree. <3

Also, if you think you can just hop into any other university and transfer credits out, think again. Credit transferability from FUS to any other school is dang near impossible due to the kind of program FUS has. It is seen as too "Catholic" and not complete enough from the perspective of outsiders.Hopefully my brief summary has helped with crafting your well informed decision in regards to attending this school or not. For Theology or Nursing... it's definitely a school worth considering. Any other program, think about it long and hard before you throw your hard earned money in their direction.

4th Year Male -- Class 2012