StudentsReview :: John Carroll University - Comments and Student Experiences

Case Western Reserve University -- Cleveland, OH
Ohio State University Columbus -- Columbus, OH
Ohio University -- Athens, OH

John Carroll University

Listen, This is the truth about John CarrollBrightBusiness - Management and Administration
Listen, This is the truth about John Carroll University,
It's not everything that admissions would have you believe. This school is average - at best. I have been here for a semester and gathering everything myself and friends as well as older students have shared with me, I can back up my opinions. Coming to John Carroll, everyone tells you how great the programs are and how good the school is... but it has an 80+% acceptance rate. I am a business major and all i heard about for the first month of school is how highly the business school is regarded. I've been told ranks as high as 25th in the country. Well for a school that good i would expect them to have actual professors that teach for a career. Not the case for me. Half of my first semester professors have day jobs that are COMPLETELY UNRELATED to the subject they teach. The professors are not nearly as qualified as they should be for such a good school. My intro economics professor handed back grades at the midterm for the whole first half of the semester, and posted nothing on JCU canvas (the website for student grades, assignments, etc. - you probably have something similar for your high school) so that we didn't know what grade we had in his class until after we took our midterm exam. (10-12 assignments turned in)I haven't had one professor with a doctorate degree yet. Academically, this school is average at best, do not believe the hype they'll give you on your tour or meeting with admissions. I had a 4.0 in high school and i have under a 3.0 after my first semester. The problem is not the rigor, it's the professors and overall program design.

Socially, if you want to have friends and enjoy life overall, don't come to school here. If not for me joining a fraternity, I would not meet anyone new ever. This school is 85% white kids, and mommy and daddy pay for everything for them. They all think they're dope and that they are kings and queens of campus, but really they're just those rich white kids that annoyed everyone in high school. (Think annoying kids that don't realize that they're annoying or that they're average). Either way i think the lack of diversity really ruins the campus, there hardly is any and most kids act the same regardless. It is definitely not a college where you will continue to meet new people. I'm not a bad dude, trust me, I'm social enough to understand how to meet and treat people and make friends. People here are 100% cliquey. Everyone meets their best friend for the next four years within a week of move in and if you don't live in the same dorm as someone you might as well forget being their friend. (no one leaves the dorms, ever). Anyway life here for myself and other students consists of going to class, doing homework, and watching netflix or playing video games all week and then if you're lucky enough to meet a friend or two here you get to walk up and down one street trying to get into beat ass house parties. I've actually almost gotten into a fight trying to get into a party (word of advice, if you don't bring twice as many girls to a party as you have guys in your group, you're not getting in) Even if you know someone, most of the time they just tell you to get lost. If you do get into these parties, think about all the Division three athletes trying to act hard playing beer pong, shitty music playing, low ceilings where if you're taller than 6" you hit your head, and unfinished shitty basements. You're 15 minutes away from downtown, but no one goes because you can't drink unless you're 21 and everyone here thinks they're an alcoholic when they're drunk after 3 beers. No one knows how to have a good time and or party if you're into that, tho they think they do. If you're not into partying, all i have to say is good luck because there is absolutely nothing to do on campus. ever.

The dorms are atrocious. The shower faucet says 1964 on it. I try to tell myself every time i shower that they have to be newer than that. But the fact is, and you'll agree with me if you've seen them, it probably hasn't been upgraded since then. Free athletes foot and staph infections if you don't wear shower shoes. I actually feel bad for the cleaning staff, the dorms are so bad that no one respects them and the hallways and bathrooms are just garbage cans. Paper towels all over the floor, candy wrappers and such in the hallways. Ratty carpet is run through all the halls, freaking disgusting. I apologize to visitors when they walk into the building, the walls are gross and the lighting is dim in the stairs. Half of the stairs are rusting away and the others have this 70-80s tile design ( I think its some sort of rubber). Whatever it is, its literally ripping apart. There is no A/C in the dorms, it's so bad that for the first month of school i primarily slept on the floor (I had two box fans and two tower fans circulating in my room and my room temperature thermometer was telling me 90 degrees). Get ready to sweat your you know what off. If you want to buy an A/C unit, the university gets to gauge how strong it is and you have to have a doctors note to bring it at all saying you need it. There is one dorm that is upgraded, the best on campus, and it's still far below what i have seen at my friends schools. Considering that the dorm is where you spend 90% of your time here, its a really bad quality of living.

Other residential life, the student center for example, is awful. Let's do a comparison. Here, where you're overall costs are 47,000 dollars (before scholarships and financial aid) your student center consists of a varsity pool and basketball court, an intramural gym, a weight lifting room that needs an upgrade, and three racquetball courts. Oh wait, don't forget the awesome underground! not. You have a singular ping pong table and a pool table with a couple of lounge chairs and TVs.

The eating options are sub par in my opinion as well. The caf is way below standards for college dining halls. Plenty of the workers are friendly, but there are also some no matter how nice you are, can't help but have an attitude. this might not seem like a big deal, but when you're slammed with homework or having a bad day, you don't need someone being for a lack of words, a dick towards you while you're trying to eat lunch. Food in the caf is the same every single day, either pizza or a pasta bar (don't get excited, its not as good as you think) a station with chicken tenders that are grilled until they are bone dry, burgers, and sometimes a variety item (usually the same chicken tenders but with sauce or something, they'll give it a fancy title to make y0u think otherwise). There's also a sub station but its super slow and there's always a line, and a salad bar that is not fresh whatsoever. Other options include the "in between" which has pizza, chicken tenders, and sandwiches all of which are pretty good, as well as some other items (think like a much worse sheetz) I say much worse because the selection of candy and snacks is much smaller, the food isn't as good and takes much longer. However this isn't a bad option for food. The only negative part is that you only get $100-$150 per semester and an order of three chicken tenders costs $6 with no drink. Basically I've done the math, and i can afford to eat there about once a week unless I want to run out of money. We also have a "cubby" that offers smoothies and muffins. I've never eaten in the Einsteins bagels on campus because the prices are ridiculous. Overall, food options are sub par. There are a ton of options off campus but unless you're like i said above "a mommy and daddy give me everything" type of person, you'll run out of money super fast. Believe me, I've spent hundreds of dollars eating off campus.Overall, I don't want to sound ungrateful when i talk about john carroll. I could find something wrong with just about every aspect of life and school here. I'm struggling to find why people come here, it's not cheap and it's not great. The students and admissions staff is great at sucking you in though, that's for sure. If you're fine with snooty and unapproachable people who are completely lame and uninteresting, come here. IF you want to enjoy yourself in college and get good grades (it's supposed to be the best time of your life) don't come here. Trust me, you'll feel the same way.

1st Year Male -- Class 1920
Perceived Campus Safety: A, Social Life: F
Most of the professors here are fine.BrightEconomics
Most of the professors here are fine. The work load isn't unbearable and the students are nice. There is a good mix of partiers and people who like to do other things. The location is prime because there is so much going on in the Cleveland area. The advisors for your freshman and sophomore year, though, are ignorant. These are professors who in their spare time "help us with scheduling." I seem to be confused because my advisor directly told me he doesn't have time to look at my schedule individually. I found this a little amusing considering as a student, I pay around $40k a year to attend a small private school. I am paying practically double the average student is just for the one on one attention. Sounds a little hypocritical to me. There is a supposedly 13 student to 1 faculty ratio. Because of this I figured that an advisor could advise students. I could, although, just be asking too much of others- to do their job.
1st Year Female -- Class 2019
Education Quality: A+, Faculty Accessibility: F
This school sucks for me as an internationalQuite BrightBiology
This school sucks for me as an international student. Academically, the professors here do not know shit. the level of other students is too low compared to other schools like CWRU. the stuff that I am learning here are the same shit that I learned in High school. I am trying to transfer for the next year. They do not give you enough aid either.
1st Year Male -- Class 2018