StudentsReview :: John Carroll University - Comments and Student Experiences

Case Western Reserve University -- Cleveland, OH
Ohio State University Columbus -- Columbus, OH
Ohio University -- Athens, OH

John Carroll University

Most of the professors here are fine.BrightEconomics
Most of the professors here are fine. The work load isn't unbearable and the students are nice. There is a good mix of partiers and people who like to do other things. The location is prime because there is so much going on in the Cleveland area. The advisors for your freshman and sophomore year, though, are ignorant. These are professors who in their spare time "help us with scheduling." I seem to be confused because my advisor directly told me he doesn't have time to look at my schedule individually. I found this a little amusing considering as a student, I pay around $40k a year to attend a small private school. I am paying practically double the average student is just for the one on one attention. Sounds a little hypocritical to me. There is a supposedly 13 student to 1 faculty ratio. Because of this I figured that an advisor could advise students. I could, although, just be asking too much of others- to do their job.
1st Year Female -- Class 2019
Education Quality: A+, Faculty Accessibility: F
This school sucks for me as an internationalBiology
This school sucks for me as an international student. Academically, the professors here do not know shit. the level of other students is too low compared to other schools like CWRU. the stuff that I am learning here are the same shit that I learned in High school. I am trying to transfer for the next year. They do not give you enough aid either.
I have tried numerous times to give thisBrightFinance
I have tried numerous times to give this school a chance. I am currently a senior but should have known very early in my freshman year that I was not going to be a Blue Streak. First off, before you even begin your collegiate career, you are required to spend a few nights at summer orientation in University Heights. You are put in groups and do role-playing games and have to preform in a dance off in front of your peers. You are literally FORCED TO DANCE ON A STAGE IN FRONT OF YOUR ENTIRE CLASS. I have never come across something so elementary and strange. And because the campus is more of small island than an open university, you will be awkwardly running into these people for the next four years.

I also recall a girl who completely freaked out on me for asking her to smoke a joint. I will admit that I was rather straightforward and did not know her very well (I talked to her for probably a half an hour), but she begin to make a scene out of the incident by exclaiming, ?I DON?T DO THAT. DON?T TELL PEOPLE I DO THAT? as she sprinted to her friends. Obviously if someone says no, they mean no. Her response however, was as if she had seen a ghost and I immediately knew the type of university I was attending. Close-minded and cliquey is an understatement. This university is a bunch of cavemen who act on basic animal instinct in hopes of survival.

This university is also completely played out on social media. I understand that we live in the digital age, but it is taken to an extreme. We are located in University Heights. A completely suburban area that the closet thing in walking distance is a shitty gas station that doesn't sell drinks and a family restaurant with Chuck E. Cheese pizza. There are no bars, no coffee places but there are some pretty awesome Jewish delis that have a plethora of kosher meats. People try really hard to depict ?the best years of their lives? enjoyable in a complete wasteland. Twitter is a cesspool where you can find what people really think of you while they completely dress up their own college experience. Ignorance is bliss.

I?m so sorry to be so negative and I personally do not like to dwell on bad aspects. But I do not think it is far to hide anything. The cafeteria is poor. The dorm rooms are small but that is what a dorm is. Teachers really are hit or miss. There are some who amazing while there are some I have already forgotten. Greek life is beyond small and more like organized clubs. It is hard to find stuff to do here on the weekends but your best bet is to make friends and accept the fact that this will be your group for the rest of college. You will not meet new people very often. You sanity will be tested but I think you come out more mature if you decide to stay. I have met some pretty cool kids but like me, they disliked their experience and decided to transfer. Some people really enjoy their time here, but for me it is quite the opposite. My best advice is to trust your gut reading these review pages. If you visit the university, tour guides will feed propaganda on social life, food, academics, and etc. You truly have to decide by asking as many people as you can.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2017
Campus Maintenance: A+, Innovation: F
Compare JCUSave JCU

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→