StudentsReview :: Miami University Oxford - Comments and Student Experiences

Ohio State University Columbus -- Columbus, OH
Ohio University -- Athens, OH

Miami University Oxford

I am currently a sophomore majoring in EconomicsBrightEconomics
I am currently a sophomore majoring in Economics at Farmer's school of business. I am also in a fraternity allowing me to get a different perspective of the school. I am personally someone who enjoys learning and doing new things on a daily basis. The majority of students here are mainly focused on Greek life and/or drinking which is alright in moderation. Only thing is, a lot of students here really do not focus on education and those that do are looked down upon by that majority.

The one and only really popular activity to do in the area is drink. There are no strong sports teams other than the declining hockey team, there are no movie theaters within a 15 mile radius, and If you want to do something outside of campus you have to go to the bars or drive 30+ minutes off campus. Drug consumption is also a growing problem for similar reasons as students have little to nothing to do on or outside of campus. There are hundreds of clubs here on campus but about 60% of them, no matter the content, usually relate back to drinking (as I have found from clubs both I and my friends have joined).

Academically here at Farmer's business school I am not impressed by some of the faculty. I have had numerous lazy professors teach little to nothing in their class and that make it hard to visit office hours (even one with no teaching background/degree). Now, as someone who appreciates academic challenges, I am definitely concerned with some of the school's academic culture. Keep in mind, I have also had some great professors, but when you are paying the highest public tuition rate in the state of Ohio I am expecting more.

Aesthetically the campus is really not that bad if you can get over the endless red brick buildings all over campus. There is also little to no landscaping outside of grass and trees which can also become rather tiring and repetitive (this is outside the main tourist areas, about 70% of the campus). Overall, If you are a student that really enjoys drinking while also "going through the motions" academically this is by all means the place for you. If you are a student that finds learning new things interesting while also doing things outside of drinking on the weekends please, look elsewhere.

more→Jan 07 2015
2nd Year Male -- Class 2017
University Resource Use: A, Useful Schoolwork: C-
I read the negative comments on this boardQuite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
I read the negative comments on this board and they have got to be written by OU students. I was from Indiana and received a strong scholarship to Miami. I came here because I liked the size better than IU, and the faculty ratings indicated that it offered a more personal experience. I could not have been happier with my experience. I have gotten great internships. I have a good job offer a semester before I am graduating. The students here are very open and friendly, and there are all kinds of kids here. What apparently makes them clones in some peoples' minds are that they dress decently and that generally, they come from affluent homes. I have taken challenging classes at Miami. I have had great professors. I have met great friends, who are all individuals. If you are a good student who prefers a more conservative environment where you will not be a number, this might be a good school for you
more→Dec 29 2014
3rd Year Male -- Class 2015
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Individual Value: B
I've read a lot of negative comments aboutQuite BrightPolitical Science
I've read a lot of negative comments about Miami so I thought I'd put in my two cents. I am a Junior, not in a sorority, not super preppy and liberal and I still freaking love this school. Yes, it is a very particular place and for some people maybe too difficult to get used to but it is a great place to spend 4 years of your life. If you are confident in who you are and are actually an interesting person then you won't have a problem making friends and getting involved.

I have made some of the most amazing friends I could ask for, some are in sororities and fraternities and some aren't. I go out and have fun and while there are the occasional douche bags that look down on you if you aren't greek, they really mean nothing. You just have to know who you are and you'll find people who love you just the way you are. If anything, it has just pushed me to be more unique and secure in myself, something I'm ultimately grateful for.

Miami has given me great academic opportunities as well. I love my programs, political science and international studies. I have had maybe one professor I didn't like and none in my major programs. They give me many opportunities to intern and study abroad.

I have some problems with the administration but I guess not everything can be perfect.If I had to do it again I would absolutely pick Miami again, I'm sad I have to leave so soon.

more→Sep 11 2014