StudentsReview :: Miami University Oxford - Comments and Student Experiences

Ohio State University Columbus -- Columbus, OH
Ohio University -- Athens, OH

Miami University Oxford

I am going to be completely honest

Jul 07 2014Business - Management and Administration
I am going to be completely honest. I was a normal girl who thought I would fit in perfectly at Miami. I'm not preppy, but I am from a well off family and I do dress nice and have nice things; I just don't like J Crew or Lilly Pulitzer. I went to Miami and rushed, and got into a great sorority. The sorority girls are not nice to each other. NOBODY IS NICE AT THIS SCHOOL. Everything is about which sorority has the most "smoke shows" and which one parties harder. If you dont party hard enough, you're huge ugly losers. If you do party, you're easy sluts. You will be hated no matter WHO you are at this school. I've never experienced such hate at a school in my entire life. I'm transferring after a year of not making one decent friend because nobody gives a sh** about one another. Weirdest place I've ever been.
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Education Quality: F

I've read a lot of negative comments about

Sep 11 2014Political Science
I've read a lot of negative comments about Miami so I thought I'd put in my two cents. I am a Junior, not in a sorority, not super preppy and liberal and I still freaking love this school. Yes, it is a very particular place and for some people maybe too difficult to get used to but it is a great place to spend 4 years of your life. If you are confident in who you are and are actually an interesting person then you won't have a problem making friends and getting involved.

I have made some of the most amazing friends I could ask for, some are in sororities and fraternities and some aren't. I go out and have fun and while there are the occasional douche bags that look down on you if you aren't greek, they really mean nothing. You just have to know who you are and you'll find people who love you just the way you are. If anything, it has just pushed me to be more unique and secure in myself, something I'm ultimately grateful for.

Miami has given me great academic opportunities as well. I love my programs, political science and international studies. I have had maybe one professor I didn't like and none in my major programs. They give me many opportunities to intern and study abroad.

I have some problems with the administration but I guess not everything can be perfect.If I had to do it again I would absolutely pick Miami again, I'm sad I have to leave so soon.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2016
Education Quality: A+, Individual Value: B-

IF YOU PLAN ON APPLYING TO MIAMI PLEASE

Apr 24 2014Psychology
IF YOU PLAN ON APPLYING TO MIAMI PLEASE READ THIS.
I am currently a sophomore finishing up my second semester. Miami is the type of school that you will either love, hate, or slowly begin to tolerate. I have decided to transfer, and although I have made a couple incredible friends, I am very excited to be leaving. It?s known as the "Oxford bubble" for a reason; it is definitely a different world here.

If you like the following, you?ll like Miami: Greek life, going to frat house parties (only girls, also regular house parties are rare), going to bars, Sperry?s, colored shorts, lulu lemon, name brand everything, dressing up for class, lots of really good-looking people, alcohol, primarily conservative people

If you like the following, Miami may not be the best fit: Wearing sweatpants/casual clothes to class, not joining a sorority or fraternity, cargo shorts, being unique/having a personality, primarily liberal people, being near a city, landscape other than cornfields, diversity

Regardless of if you fit in or not, Miami provides a great education. I?ve only had one bad teacher out of twenty. I simply do not fit in here, and think I would be much happier somewhere else. I have a very relaxed personality, do not like dressing up for class, I?m very invested in my education as well as my friends. However, Miami is not where I am able to achieve my potential. My greatest advice to you would be to visit Miami, with and without a tour guide. The tour guide?s job is to tell you and show you how fantastic Miami is, but you need to make that decision yourself. Talk to people who go here, and take their personality into consideration/ how well you get along with them. Even in you don?t fit the Miami stereotype, you can still find people to get along with, it just takes some searching!

Keep in mind that Uptown is the only place to go out on the weekends, the frats haze, you'll be judged if you don't rush by the Greeks and if you do by the GDIs (it's a trap).

In short, if you?re preppy and like to party you?ll love it.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2016