StudentsReview :: Miami University Oxford - Comments and Student Experiences

Ohio University -- Athens, OH

Miami University Oxford

I am a 27 year old

Feb 07 2014Art & Design Department
I am a 27 year old Junior working towards my BFA and I must say I am rather dissapointed with my experience at Oxford. The art program is passable, though not really worth the money. The proffessors vary in quality some of them know what they are talking about, they are friendly, helpful, and genuine, but at the other end of the spectrum they are petty, pretentious, self-important, arrogant, and down right rude. I have heard several proffessors badmouthing students with other students, wich is completely unproffesional. The absolute worst thing about attending Oxford however, is the students. The vast majority of them are intollerable, they are rude, stuck up, spoiled little brats. I understand many of them come from rich families, and are attending college fresh out of high school, but you would expect them to have been raised better and to have some sort of respect or common decency, they however do not. They are disgusting. The most decent students I've met at Oxford are surrprisingly not from Oxford, but come from the regional campuses at Hamilton and Middletown. I am very dissapointed with my experience at Oxford wich is why I am preparing to transfer to another University as soon as possible. I would feel ashamed to aqquire a degree from this school, in fact I would regret it.
1st Year Female -- Class 2015
Campus Maintenance: A-, Extracurricular Activities: F

The school sucks and

Nov 23 2013Biology
The school sucks and I am failing two classes because of stupid professors. All the students here are rich kids who all dress like its prom night every time they go out. Everyone is super preppy and if you don't own a bunch of expensive brand named clothes you will be an outcast.
1st Year Male -- Class 2016
Campus Aesthetics: A, Education Quality: F

What's sad about Miami is that there are

Dec 08 2013Political Science
What's sad about Miami is that there are many redeemable qualities that get drowned out by its downfalls. It's true that the campus itself is very beautiful and that most of the professors are approachable and not just focused on their own research. Unfortunately, despite the qualities I just described, I cannot recommend Miami to prospective students.

If you don't drink (like me) or only drink on occasion and in moderation, you will feel like an outcast. It seems like most of the students let their social lives revolve around getting completely wasted at least two or three days a week. A lot of this comes from the popularity of Greek life on campus. Chances are, if you're not in a fraternity or sorority, you're a frat boy/sorority girl wannabe. Because of this, the "J. Crew U" stereotype is 100% true. If you don't dress like they do and share their questionable values, you're not worth their time. Worse still, the university has made no real attempt at curbing alcohol-related incidents. The businesses in the city of Oxford seems to only cater to this crowd, as the only noteworthy off-campus attractions are bars and night clubs. I have just finished up my first half of my sophomore year at Miami, and because I have little in common with most of the other students, I have yet to make any good, lasting friendships with anybody, while my good friends from high school all have at their respective schools. I don't remember exactly why I chose Miami in the first place, but I regret making that decision. The only reason I'm not transferring is because I want to make sure I finish my undergrad studies in four years max. I plan on attending law school after I graduate and it's sad that I'll be trying to have an ideal college experience at that point to make up for my time here.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2016