StudentsReview :: Miami University Oxford - Comments and Student Experiences

Ohio University -- Athens, OH

Miami University Oxford

The school sucks and

Nov 23 2013Biology
The school sucks and I am failing two classes because of stupid professors. All the students here are rich kids who all dress like its prom night every time they go out. Everyone is super preppy and if you don't own a bunch of expensive brand named clothes you will be an outcast.
1st Year Male -- Class 2016
Campus Aesthetics: A, Education Quality: F

The Miami plan is a behemoth, and students

Apr 06 2013Unknown
The Miami plan is a behemoth, and students should plan out their courses for the rest of their time here. It sounds extreme, but the number of fifth year seniors in STEM majors is phenomenal. Planning ahead will save you a lot of time and money. Another important note is to be vigilant of any holdings on your Bursar account. If you have a holding on your account, then you will not be able to register for classes until they are paid off. Any late payments will include extra fees, so stay on top of your account!
2nd Year Male -- Class 2015
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Surrounding City: C+

Miami wasn't my first choice of school, Ohio

Aug 21 2013Political Science
Miami wasn't my first choice of school, Ohio State was. After being denied from Ohio State's main campus and being offered a nice scholarship to a branch for a year, I decided it wasn't worth spending a year at a run-down branch campus in Mansifeld and choose Miami

Boy, was I right. Miami's stereotype is what first brought me away from making this college my first choice. Preppy students who are rich, wear North Face, Sperrys, and JCrew all the time. Well, it turns out all of those stereotypes are true. However, it shouldn't turn you away from this great school. You'll be able to make friends if you actually apply yourself. For example, if your like me don't like me and don't like the preppy fratty lifestyle, join a club that would have people that have a similar mindset. I didn't join a frat my freshman year because I thought it wasn't for me. I did newspaper, Model UN, and other clubs relating to me interests and made great friends.

My sophomore year I did the same thing except- get this- I joined a frat. However, I only did it because one of my good friends convinced me to go to a rush event with him. I told him I wasn't interested but I went anyway. It turns out the frat we went to had a few of my friends from classes in it. They were very accepting of who I was. I have no regrets joining, and I cannot wait to go back.

If you have reservations about coming to Miami because of the student body, I urge you to at least give it a try for a year. You will be relieved when you come back for the summer after your first year...but then, about a month later, you will wish you are back at Miami having the time of your life (and learning of course)

Speaking of education, I wouldn't have had as many opportunities to take as many classes as I did and get personal attention from them had I gone to OSU.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2015