StudentsReview :: Miami University Oxford - Comments and Student Experiences

Ohio State University Columbus -- Columbus, OH
Ohio University -- Athens, OH

Miami University Oxford

I can't believe all the attention MUO has

Nov 18 2012Accounting
I can't believe all the attention MUO has been getting in the past few years. It really all comes down to politics. Both sides red & blue are trying to get MUO grads out of OH. The statistics dont lie. The voting power of OH has changed and the electoral votes have dropped. Chicago sees a large influx or MUO grads to tip the voters one way or the other. I have had management tell me they like MUO grads because we're average intellectually and can change the vote to or for. It's weird but it works.
Starting Job: Intern Preparedness: F Reputation: F

This school is THE definition of stereotypes

Nov 19 2012PreMed and Medical
This school is THE definition of stereotypes. I am so embarrassed that everyone here is close minded, stuck up, and uncultured. DO NOT go here if you are a minority, not good looking, or not a business major. You know its the truth if everyone else below has mentioned or said the exact same thing. This school has zero diversity and everyone looks alike, and you are better off winning the lottery than making friends if you are not in a sorority/fraternity. The education is worse than the stereotypes, even as a pre-med major i still feel out of the loop, I do not understand how this university is not more health care friendly. I even have a good friend who is a nursing major which is only offered on the regional campus, which makes absolutely no sense at all considering the profession. But instead, this school values majors like architecture, business, communications, art and theatre (no offense). Basically, the majors that are completely useless. I didnt know whether to laugh or cry when I first saw the buildings that are dedicated to some of these majors, what a complete joke. Please do not even get me started on parking and the surrounding city. The only positive thing about this school is the campus, but that gets old after a while. Miami was the worst mistake of my life, and i am transferring while i still have my sanity.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2014
Campus Aesthetics: A, Surrounding City: F

As a senior in high school I relied

Nov 06 2012Language - French/Spanish/etc.
As a senior in high school I relied heavily on this site to get feedback from current students to help me decide where to attend college. I thought to myself that I could potentially make the worst decision of my life, but luckily I didn't I quite enjoy Miami University. Although I realize that not everyone will enjoy attending school here, it still has the potential to provide new and great experiences to anyone that attends. First of all, Miami University is located in the small town of Oxford, Ohio. Small town meaning we have only one Wendy's, one Wal Mart and many little shops and restaurants. Many students take part in the "city's" night life and go to the bars and clubs. (Students 18 and older can get into the clubs with a Miami University ID but are NOT permitted to drink alcoholic beverages) So if you enjoy the picturesque photos of Miami and all of its "ruralness" then you will soon come to call Oxford your home. If you are more into the city life and its diverse opportunities you might want to reconsider before attending.

Parties
One of the stereotypes that is associated with Miami University is that it is a party school, this stereotype probably came about because Oxford is such a small town and because of the lack of entertainment many fraternities do throw off campus parties. In my opinion Miami University is sort of a 'work hard play hard' sort of school. It is true that there are parties every weekend but if you don't seek a party you won't find it. Miami has many clubs and activities that anyone can participate in and many free events that anyone can attend. As a freshman at Miami I have found many ways to stay active that have not involved drugs or alcohol.

Stereotypes
Miami University gets a bad rep for having a low level of diversity. While the numbers don't lie, I have noticed that the university is trying to encourage diversity. Just this year (2012) I believe Miami had beat its record for the number of international students that attended (I think that's true don't hold me to it) and they also have programs for underrepresented minorities (I'm not sure what they do at these programs exactly but I've heard good things about them) one of them is called "M.A.D.E. at Miami". Miami is also labeled sometimes as "J Crew U" which is unfair to a good amount of the students that attend here. I feel that many people (me especially) are intimidated by this stereotype. It is true that many students dress nicely to classes but it is also true that many people come to class in sweats. Some people are snobs but the majority are friendly, just be open. This University has over 14,000 people, please, please... PLEASE consider that the majority of the people here are decent people that strive to achieve something.

Miscellaneous
Miami has a metro (bus) system that allows students to ride for free to get to buildings/dorms on campus and to get to stores and apartments uptown. Even though I don't usually use the bus (almost everything is in walking distance) I have used it on occasion to get to Wal Mart (not in walking distance) and Kroeger (grocery store that is off campus).

Even though all of the educational buildings are within walking distance, I still feel that Miami has a large campus so it can take about 15-20 minutes to get to some of your classes (one thing you learn at Miami is how to dress for the weather and to wear comfortable shoes).

I think Miami's food is average, there is a variety of cafeteria style and buffet style choices.All in all, I think your experience at Miami University is what you make it. If you actively participate, stay on top of your studies and take advantage of the University resources you will have a great four years here. However even if you do the above the rural setting might be a turnoff to those who like the excitement of the city. There is something for everyone here, you just have to find it.

1st Year Female -- Class 2016