StudentsReview :: Miami University - Oxford - Comments and Student Experiences

Ohio State University Columbus -- Columbus, OH
Ohio University -- Athens, OH

I'm an international student and I got anQuite BrightAccounting
I'm an international student and I got an accounting degree from Miami University last May.
I like Miami University's good opportunity to make connections with the big four accounting companies. And our business courses are good and we can actually learn stuff out of it. But, as an international student, I don't really recommend Miami. First of all, it is in an isolated town. There are not very much entertainment and good shopping malls around. Second, it is a party school, drinking and dancing in the bar is an important part of social life here. If you don't like bars and parties, it's probably hard for you to fit in those American friend circle. Thirdly, the students in business school is really arrogant. They think they are the smarted and hardly want to listen to international student's suggestions in group work. Generally, I feel like students from other states are nicer than in-state students. If you have a chance to go to a University in a big city. Then, definitely not Miami.
4th Year Female -- Class 2014
University Resource Use: A+, Surrounding City: F
What's sad about Miami is that there areQuite BrightPolitical Science
What's sad about Miami is that there are many redeemable qualities that get drowned out by its downfalls. It's true that the campus itself is very beautiful and that most of the professors are approachable and not just focused on their own research. Unfortunately, despite the qualities I just described, I cannot recommend Miami to prospective students.

If you don't drink (like me) or only drink on occasion and in moderation, you will feel like an outcast. It seems like most of the students let their social lives revolve around getting completely wasted at least two or three days a week. A lot of this comes from the popularity of Greek life on campus. Chances are, if you're not in a fraternity or sorority, you're a frat boy/sorority girl wannabe. Because of this, the "J. Crew U" stereotype is 100% true. If you don't dress like they do and share their questionable values, you're not worth their time. Worse still, the university has made no real attempt at curbing alcohol-related incidents. The businesses in the city of Oxford seems to only cater to this crowd, as the only noteworthy off-campus attractions are bars and night clubs. I have just finished up my first half of my sophomore year at Miami, and because I have little in common with most of the other students, I have yet to make any good, lasting friendships with anybody, while my good friends from high school all have at their respective schools. I don't remember exactly why I chose Miami in the first place, but I regret making that decision. The only reason I'm not transferring is because I want to make sure I finish my undergrad studies in four years max. I plan on attending law school after I graduate and it's sad that I'll be trying to have an ideal college experience at that point to make up for my time here.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2016
Useful Schoolwork: A, Social Life: F
As a senior in high school I reliedQuite BrightLanguage - French/Spanish/etc.
As a senior in high school I relied heavily on this site to get feedback from current students to help me decide where to attend college. I thought to myself that I could potentially make the worst decision of my life, but luckily I didn't I quite enjoy Miami University. Although I realize that not everyone will enjoy attending school here, it still has the potential to provide new and great experiences to anyone that attends. First of all, Miami University is located in the small town of Oxford, Ohio. Small town meaning we have only one Wendy's, one Wal Mart and many little shops and restaurants. Many students take part in the "city's" night life and go to the bars and clubs. (Students 18 and older can get into the clubs with a Miami University ID but are NOT permitted to drink alcoholic beverages) So if you enjoy the picturesque photos of Miami and all of its "ruralness" then you will soon come to call Oxford your home. If you are more into the city life and its diverse opportunities you might want to reconsider before attending.

One of the stereotypes that is associated with Miami University is that it is a party school, this stereotype probably came about because Oxford is such a small town and because of the lack of entertainment many fraternities do throw off campus parties. In my opinion Miami University is sort of a 'work hard play hard' sort of school. It is true that there are parties every weekend but if you don't seek a party you won't find it. Miami has many clubs and activities that anyone can participate in and many free events that anyone can attend. As a freshman at Miami I have found many ways to stay active that have not involved drugs or alcohol.

Miami University gets a bad rep for having a low level of diversity. While the numbers don't lie, I have noticed that the university is trying to encourage diversity. Just this year (2012) I believe Miami had beat its record for the number of international students that attended (I think that's true don't hold me to it) and they also have programs for underrepresented minorities (I'm not sure what they do at these programs exactly but I've heard good things about them) one of them is called "M.A.D.E. at Miami". Miami is also labeled sometimes as "J Crew U" which is unfair to a good amount of the students that attend here. I feel that many people (me especially) are intimidated by this stereotype. It is true that many students dress nicely to classes but it is also true that many people come to class in sweats. Some people are snobs but the majority are friendly, just be open. This University has over 14,000 people, please, please... PLEASE consider that the majority of the people here are decent people that strive to achieve something.

Miami has a metro (bus) system that allows students to ride for free to get to buildings/dorms on campus and to get to stores and apartments uptown. Even though I don't usually use the bus (almost everything is in walking distance) I have used it on occasion to get to Wal Mart (not in walking distance) and Kroeger (grocery store that is off campus).

Even though all of the educational buildings are within walking distance, I still feel that Miami has a large campus so it can take about 15-20 minutes to get to some of your classes (one thing you learn at Miami is how to dress for the weather and to wear comfortable shoes).

I think Miami's food is average, there is a variety of cafeteria style and buffet style choices.All in all, I think your experience at Miami University is what you make it. If you actively participate, stay on top of your studies and take advantage of the University resources you will have a great four years here. However even if you do the above the rural setting might be a turnoff to those who like the excitement of the city. There is something for everyone here, you just have to find it.

1st Year Female -- Class 2016