StudentsReview :: Miami University Oxford - Comments and Student Experiences

Ohio University -- Athens, OH

Miami University Oxford

i am currently a freshman at Miami University

Dec 26 2010Education
i am currently a freshman at Miami University and in the process of transferring, As a high school student looking at colleges, i looked at this review site a bit, so i thought i would through my 2 cents in. So far at Miami, I have had a lot of fun. It is most definitely a party school. But, if that is all you are looking for, i would choose else where because you will fail, and quickly. I was more concerned with my parties than my grades in the beginning, so they have consequently slipped. That is not the reason I am looking to transfer though. I am looking to go to a school where I feel more comfortable in, because the Miami students are nice, but not like me. Most of them are more concerned with their clothes and parties than making friends. Also, more than 1/3 of the students are greek. Think again before coming here if you do not want to be greek... or try extremely hard to make friends that are also not going greek.That being said, Miami is a good school. I wish i wanted to stay there, but it is just not for me. I wish more people would focus on the education and making friends instead of their looks. But, most of the people are extremely nice! Just don't be afraid to approach them. I hope this helped and if you are currently deciding between colleges, I really hope you follow your heart and go where you belong! Best wishes!
1st Year Female -- Class 2014
Social Life: A+, Faculty Accessibility: F

Everyone knows the type of reputation Miami students

Mar 22 2010Business - Management and Administration
Everyone knows the type of reputation Miami students have: preppy, rich and stuck up. I came here expecting to meet a bunch of wealthy assholes who were here to do nothing but drink their four years away. However, I was proven wrong and met a lot of great, fun people. It is really easy to get involved and the more involved you get, the smaller the campus seems. Everywhere you go, you see someone you know. Greek life is huge and I recommend it. I was never a "sorority girl", but there TRULY IS SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE. I joined one and I love it. Don't let Miami's reputation ruin your chance at a great school. No one really understands how great it is until they come here.
1st Year Female -- Class 2013
Education Quality: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: B+

As a senior in high school I relied

Nov 06 2012Language - French/Spanish/etc.
As a senior in high school I relied heavily on this site to get feedback from current students to help me decide where to attend college. I thought to myself that I could potentially make the worst decision of my life, but luckily I didn't I quite enjoy Miami University. Although I realize that not everyone will enjoy attending school here, it still has the potential to provide new and great experiences to anyone that attends. First of all, Miami University is located in the small town of Oxford, Ohio. Small town meaning we have only one Wendy's, one Wal Mart and many little shops and restaurants. Many students take part in the "city's" night life and go to the bars and clubs. (Students 18 and older can get into the clubs with a Miami University ID but are NOT permitted to drink alcoholic beverages) So if you enjoy the picturesque photos of Miami and all of its "ruralness" then you will soon come to call Oxford your home. If you are more into the city life and its diverse opportunities you might want to reconsider before attending.

Parties
One of the stereotypes that is associated with Miami University is that it is a party school, this stereotype probably came about because Oxford is such a small town and because of the lack of entertainment many fraternities do throw off campus parties. In my opinion Miami University is sort of a 'work hard play hard' sort of school. It is true that there are parties every weekend but if you don't seek a party you won't find it. Miami has many clubs and activities that anyone can participate in and many free events that anyone can attend. As a freshman at Miami I have found many ways to stay active that have not involved drugs or alcohol.

Stereotypes
Miami University gets a bad rep for having a low level of diversity. While the numbers don't lie, I have noticed that the university is trying to encourage diversity. Just this year (2012) I believe Miami had beat its record for the number of international students that attended (I think that's true don't hold me to it) and they also have programs for underrepresented minorities (I'm not sure what they do at these programs exactly but I've heard good things about them) one of them is called "M.A.D.E. at Miami". Miami is also labeled sometimes as "J Crew U" which is unfair to a good amount of the students that attend here. I feel that many people (me especially) are intimidated by this stereotype. It is true that many students dress nicely to classes but it is also true that many people come to class in sweats. Some people are snobs but the majority are friendly, just be open. This University has over 14,000 people, please, please... PLEASE consider that the majority of the people here are decent people that strive to achieve something.

Miscellaneous
Miami has a metro (bus) system that allows students to ride for free to get to buildings/dorms on campus and to get to stores and apartments uptown. Even though I don't usually use the bus (almost everything is in walking distance) I have used it on occasion to get to Wal Mart (not in walking distance) and Kroeger (grocery store that is off campus).

Even though all of the educational buildings are within walking distance, I still feel that Miami has a large campus so it can take about 15-20 minutes to get to some of your classes (one thing you learn at Miami is how to dress for the weather and to wear comfortable shoes).

I think Miami's food is average, there is a variety of cafeteria style and buffet style choices.All in all, I think your experience at Miami University is what you make it. If you actively participate, stay on top of your studies and take advantage of the University resources you will have a great four years here. However even if you do the above the rural setting might be a turnoff to those who like the excitement of the city. There is something for everyone here, you just have to find it.

1st Year Female -- Class 2016