StudentsReview :: Miami University - Oxford - Comments and Student Experiences

Ohio State University Columbus -- Columbus, OH
Ohio University -- Athens, OH

I'm from West Chester, Ohio and I've alwaysQuite BrightPreMed and Medical
I'm from West Chester, Ohio and I've always been pro-Miami until I actually became a student. The program I was enrolled in is very very challenging and I spent every day in a routine of studying my brains out.

Recently I was suspended from the University for something SO RIDICULOUSLY PETTY that I still can't believe it and everyone I've told can't believe it either. I am not allowed to go into specifics because I could be charged with retaliation, but I will give you a good idea of what happened and how poorly I was treated by a university that I loved so much.

I was not suspended for criminal actions, alcohol, drugs, or academic misconduct. I was suspended for an honest mistake that ANYONE could have had and I was treated like absolute shit. The Office of Student Conduct and Resolution has a corrupt and unforgiving director. She does not care about her students or their futures, however she does care if they have money. The rich kids get off scot-free and thats not an opinion, but a cold hard fact. A drug dealer who lived in my dorm last year died on the bathroom floor from a heroin overdose and paramedics brought him back to life with a shot of Narcan. He faced ZERO university charges and went through none of the things I had to because his family gave a generous donation to the university.

If that wasn't enough, after a very grueling fight with the appeals board and university, the Vice President of Student Affairs looked over my case in less than one day and decided my fate. It's obvious that she didn't care about me and I do feel like just a number now.

My lawyer was a professor at the university for over 30 years and he said that he is so disgusted at the attitude of the university toward its students that he wouldn't even send his dog there.

Miami is not the university that it used to be and everything that I have worked my ass off for is on the line for something that was completely out of my control. I urge you if you decide to go there to watch your back and don't make ANY kind of mistakes if you don't want to be suspended or lose your tuition. Bottom line? Love and Honor doesn't mean shit to the people in power there.

1st Year Female -- Class 2019
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Individual Value: F
I attended Miami as a full-time MBA studentBrightBusiness - Management and Administration
I attended Miami as a full-time MBA student in the early 90's. While my review may be dated, I believe my observations are still relevant today.

Miami is a good place to learn from books, but not a great place to experience life and transfer skills to real- life situations.

Oxford is a bubble. Students from upper middle class families arrive on Miami's beautiful campus and think it's wonderful. But behind the beautiful facade are problems.

Oxford is mostly devoid of cultural activities. An 18 year old from suburban middle America may think it's great, but really drinking is the biggest past time. A string of bars that are not distinguishable from one another, full of white upper middle class students who aren't distinguishable from one another create a banality of which its undergraduates are blissfully unaware.

Miami and Oxford are stagnant. I said so in my exit interview from the school. Instruction was great but the experience was mind numbing. These students - despite their inflated sense of ability - are simply not prepared for the common sense that is real life.

I worked as a bartender to put myself through Miami. I saw an alcohol-soaked student body encouraged by a robust Greek system. Parents send their daughters to Oxford because it looks so safe. That's a danger.

Miami was not intellectually stimulating.

2nd Year Male -- Class 1992
Campus Maintenance: A+, Innovation: F
After my drink wasQuite BrightPsychology
After my drink was drugged in a bar and I sought help under the Good Samaritan rule, I was punished and had to appeal to clear my name. This just added to the trauma. Odd this didn't happen to the boys who were with me....
1st Year Female -- Class 2019