Miami University Oxford
Miami University Oxford - Comments and Student Experiences|
2. The campus has so many resources. You'll find tutors, libraries, groups, clubs, books, etc that will help you.
3. The campus is beautiful, in terms of scenery. I've never seen a campus as beautiful as this one.
The list of positives are short.....because there isn't much positive. I'll expand more on the negatives.
1. The students-An overwhelming majority of the students on the Oxford campus are snobby. I know this is a bold assertion but I've found it to be true. Most of them come from a wealthy background and look down on others for not being as wealthy as they are. They also aren't accepting of races other than whites, religions other than Christians or gay people. They're not friendly at all and they aren't willing to communicate with you. You most likely won't make any friends.
2. Social Life-The people ruin this. I don't know why but Miami seems to be the most anti-social college I can think of. Most people just sit on their laptops, cell phones, and don't want to have.....fun or.....talk? There is a reason everyone thinks Oxford is "lame." It's not the town: It's the people. Even the townies are snobby.
3. Entertainment-....and about Oxford. Oxford is a small town where there isn't much entertainment or things to do. Basically, there are a lot restaurants, some bars, some clubs, a few shopping places. I can't think of anything else. Overall, Miami is a great school for academics but terrible for meeting people. The students are pathetic and boring.
The one and only really popular activity to do in the area is drink. There are no strong sports teams other than the declining hockey team, there are no movie theaters within a 15 mile radius, and If you want to do something outside of campus you have to go to the bars or drive 30+ minutes off campus. Drug consumption is also a growing problem for similar reasons as students have little to nothing to do on or outside of campus. There are hundreds of clubs here on campus but about 60% of them, no matter the content, usually relate back to drinking (as I have found from clubs both I and my friends have joined).
Academically here at Farmer's business school I am not impressed by some of the faculty. I have had numerous lazy professors teach little to nothing in their class and that make it hard to visit office hours (even one with no teaching background/degree). Now, as someone who appreciates academic challenges, I am definitely concerned with some of the school's academic culture. Keep in mind, I have also had some great professors, but when you are paying the highest public tuition rate in the state of Ohio I am expecting more.
Aesthetically the campus is really not that bad if you can get over the endless red brick buildings all over campus. There is also little to no landscaping outside of grass and trees which can also become rather tiring and repetitive (this is outside the main tourist areas, about 70% of the campus). Overall, If you are a student that really enjoys drinking while also "going through the motions" academically this is by all means the place for you. If you are a student that finds learning new things interesting while also doing things outside of drinking on the weekends please, look elsewhere.