StudentsReview :: Miami University Oxford - Comments and Student Experiences

Ohio State University Columbus -- Columbus, OH
Ohio University -- Athens, OH

Miami University Oxford

I am currently a sophomore majoring in EconomicsBrightEconomics
I am currently a sophomore majoring in Economics at Farmer's school of business. I am also in a fraternity allowing me to get a different perspective of the school. I am personally someone who enjoys learning and doing new things on a daily basis. The majority of students here are mainly focused on Greek life and/or drinking which is alright in moderation. Only thing is, a lot of students here really do not focus on education and those that do are looked down upon by that majority.

The one and only really popular activity to do in the area is drink. There are no strong sports teams other than the declining hockey team, there are no movie theaters within a 15 mile radius, and If you want to do something outside of campus you have to go to the bars or drive 30+ minutes off campus. Drug consumption is also a growing problem for similar reasons as students have little to nothing to do on or outside of campus. There are hundreds of clubs here on campus but about 60% of them, no matter the content, usually relate back to drinking (as I have found from clubs both I and my friends have joined).

Academically here at Farmer's business school I am not impressed by some of the faculty. I have had numerous lazy professors teach little to nothing in their class and that make it hard to visit office hours (even one with no teaching background/degree). Now, as someone who appreciates academic challenges, I am definitely concerned with some of the school's academic culture. Keep in mind, I have also had some great professors, but when you are paying the highest public tuition rate in the state of Ohio I am expecting more.

Aesthetically the campus is really not that bad if you can get over the endless red brick buildings all over campus. There is also little to no landscaping outside of grass and trees which can also become rather tiring and repetitive (this is outside the main tourist areas, about 70% of the campus). Overall, If you are a student that really enjoys drinking while also "going through the motions" academically this is by all means the place for you. If you are a student that finds learning new things interesting while also doing things outside of drinking on the weekends please, look elsewhere.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2017
University Resource Use: A, Useful Schoolwork: C-
Don't come here.Accounting
Don't come here. This is a campus of clones who just can't seem to get out of high school. I mean that literally. EVERYONE I have met is from a Cincinnati private school, and is somehow affiliated with the other. Personally, I came here for the business program, with it's impressive reviews. I got into other schools such as University of Illinois, UCONN, Penn State, and NYU, but because I went to a little boarding school, I loved the small feel of Miami and decided to give it a shot. I could not be more disappointed. This place is beyond f'ed up, everyone is a clone of the other. I had a great group of friends freshman year, I was planning on rushing, but when I got home after my first semester here, I noticed I changed. I started judging people on their apparel, if they looked put together, and I thought holy shit, who am I becoming. I decided, eh I'm not going to rush. I am a very kind and friendly person. I got most likely to be on SNL in high school. When I didn't rush?everything changed. I'd see my "friends" in their letters and they would barely acknowledge me because I'm a "geed." Like I said, these superficial assholes can't get out of high school. I am only trying to help any girl that likes her individuality, someone who likes Seinfeld and Curb your enthusiasm and Jack White and can have conversations about actual things and not just talking shit about your friends. If you want to go here, and you plan on rushing, be prepared to become the same exact copy of the next person. People will say "Spoken like a true geed!" Nah. I am not against the Greek system. I find it can be a nice way to meet new people, make some connections. I plan on possibly going greek at my next school I transfer to. But here. Its unbelievable. A very superficial, "my life is perfect" world, where how your life on Facebook reflects your life in general. I lost my friends because I didn't rush. First semester was great, loved it. After that, I thought I'd keep giving it a shot, but it just got worse. I am now going to go to a much better university that offers more to me than just Greek. Not to mention incredible weather.

One example that will really reflect a typical old friend cloned into a "Miami girl" <--- (THAT IS A REAL THING). I was at Brick Street Bar sophomore year, when my freshman roommate/old friend (who crossed me off after not rushing) came up to me wobbling drunk, holding onto me to balance, and said, "I'm so sorry I'm such a shitty friend. I just know that you're the kind of person who will be there despite it." In a voice that wasn't hers. I high pitched, dumb-girl voice. Its sad.

These girls come here to get their MRS-degree. I can personally account 5 instances where I asked a girl her what her major was, she said some shitty communications major, and said "But I just really want to meet my husband." How fu. Well God bless the man that marries these self absorbed dumb girls who offer nothing to the table except vodka, gossip, and two faces.

I also applaud Miami University for their utmost efforts to improve the diversity here. Not to mention the impressive layout of the campus. The Greek dorms are provided with the BEST location, with the BEST dining facilities, right next to the Rec Center, while those who choose not to go Greek are thrown off onto North campus where there is only "Scoreboard" --basically an even shittier version of McDonalds. I had a 20 minute walk to the Rec from North campus. Also, one more thing. All the lights are out around there. All of them. I had to put on my flashlight mode to get back to my dorm after long nights at the library. Nothing like being alone coming back at 2 am and walking in pitch black. As an out-of-state student, I found this very disturbing. They'll say "well you had the option to live in the Greek dorms." I did that. I moved. And now whenever I try to get down study, I hear a group of girls screaming like someone got shot. Oh wait, that philanthropy or whatever. WOOOOOOOO YEAH WE PAID 600 DOLLARS FOR PEOPLE TO JUDGE US BY OUR LOOKS AND APPARELL YEAH I LOVE MY "SISTERS".

^^ I am salty about Greek life here after hearing a group of sorority girls in a particular sorority that shall not be named (DG) in my freshman dorm deciding which girls in there pledge class were pretty and which were ugly. Funny thing is, weeks after that horrible Mean Girls Burn Book incident, they are in photos with those girls they called ugly on Facebook with some quote like "OMG U R MY SHINING STAR MY LIGHT." I lost all respect, who do these people think they are?Thank you Miami of Ohio, for showing me the kind of person to never be. 100K worth of some business knowledge and a shitload of disappointment. You have shaped me into a better person, a person that gets to know people, not just where they come from or if their wearing a Patagonia or a zip up from Target. Thank you for revealing to me the utmost superficiality that Miami exhibits. Miami is not the school for someone who has values. Miami is a school for a bunch of hypocrites who think the world owes them something. I wish you nothing but success on that MRS degree ladies, but know in the end when you realize 2 years into that loving marriage that you're not happy, and your rich husbands sleeping with his secretary, know that you actually prostituted yourself into that rich "classy" lifestyle. God bless. Love and Honor.

I am a 27 year oldBrightArt & Design Department
I am a 27 year old Junior working towards my BFA and I must say I am rather dissapointed with my experience at Oxford. The art program is passable, though not really worth the money. The proffessors vary in quality some of them know what they are talking about, they are friendly, helpful, and genuine, but at the other end of the spectrum they are petty, pretentious, self-important, arrogant, and down right rude. I have heard several proffessors badmouthing students with other students, wich is completely unproffesional. The absolute worst thing about attending Oxford however, is the students. The vast majority of them are intollerable, they are rude, stuck up, spoiled little brats. I understand many of them come from rich families, and are attending college fresh out of high school, but you would expect them to have been raised better and to have some sort of respect or common decency, they however do not. They are disgusting. The most decent students I've met at Oxford are surrprisingly not from Oxford, but come from the regional campuses at Hamilton and Middletown. I am very dissapointed with my experience at Oxford wich is why I am preparing to transfer to another University as soon as possible. I would feel ashamed to aqquire a degree from this school, in fact I would regret it.
1st Year Female -- Class 2015