StudentsReview :: Miami University Oxford - Comments and Student Experiences

Ohio University -- Athens, OH

Miami University Oxford

Miami University opened doors

Oct 19 2011Finance
Miami University opened doors for me that I never imagined possible. The schools reputation for graduating high achieving men and women is astounding. I am forever grateful to Miami.
Starting Job: Asst. cashier Preparedness: B Reputation: A

First off, I'm not your typical Miami student

Aug 09 2010Chemical Engineering
First off, I'm not your typical Miami student. I'm a bit of a nerd, and I don't own ugg boots or a north face jacket. People are correct in there being a definite majority of pompous, materialistic people. However, with a bit of effort, you will find many incredibly nice and accepting people with diverse interests (although there is very little diversity in the physical sense). I have never been interested in greek life, and instead made many friends with common interests by joining clubs(there are so many of them. I highly recommend clubs as its a fun choice for the financially impaired who may not be able to afford greek life, as well as people who think greek life is stupid). You will also get to pick your dorm based on your interests which helps you meet people.

Academically, Miami is fantastic. Professors are easy to approach, talented, and eager to help students. Classes are engaging and are not taught by TAs (with the exception of some labs). There are many research opportunities for undergrads too. You can easily start as early as freshman year if you want.

This school is definitely known for the business school, however, the engineering department is quickly growing. The advantage to being in a smaller department is that they really want to see students succeed. My advice is that if you decide to go to Miami, maintain a positive attitude about the students. If you get it into your head that everyone is a snobby airhead, then you will miss out on finding some great friends. Instead, stop complaining, realize you're very fortunate to attend such an amazing college, and participate in activities that you're interested in so that you can find your niche.

1st Year Female -- Class 2013
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Surrounding City: C-

Miami wasn't my first choice of school, Ohio

Aug 21 2013Political Science
Miami wasn't my first choice of school, Ohio State was. After being denied from Ohio State's main campus and being offered a nice scholarship to a branch for a year, I decided it wasn't worth spending a year at a run-down branch campus in Mansifeld and choose Miami

Boy, was I right. Miami's stereotype is what first brought me away from making this college my first choice. Preppy students who are rich, wear North Face, Sperrys, and JCrew all the time. Well, it turns out all of those stereotypes are true. However, it shouldn't turn you away from this great school. You'll be able to make friends if you actually apply yourself. For example, if your like me don't like me and don't like the preppy fratty lifestyle, join a club that would have people that have a similar mindset. I didn't join a frat my freshman year because I thought it wasn't for me. I did newspaper, Model UN, and other clubs relating to me interests and made great friends.

My sophomore year I did the same thing except- get this- I joined a frat. However, I only did it because one of my good friends convinced me to go to a rush event with him. I told him I wasn't interested but I went anyway. It turns out the frat we went to had a few of my friends from classes in it. They were very accepting of who I was. I have no regrets joining, and I cannot wait to go back.

If you have reservations about coming to Miami because of the student body, I urge you to at least give it a try for a year. You will be relieved when you come back for the summer after your first year...but then, about a month later, you will wish you are back at Miami having the time of your life (and learning of course)

Speaking of education, I wouldn't have had as many opportunities to take as many classes as I did and get personal attention from them had I gone to OSU.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2015