StudentsReview :: Miami University Oxford - Comments and Student Experiences

Ohio State University Columbus -- Columbus, OH
Ohio University -- Athens, OH

Miami University Oxford

I read the negative comments on this boardQuite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
I read the negative comments on this board and they have got to be written by OU students. I was from Indiana and received a strong scholarship to Miami. I came here because I liked the size better than IU, and the faculty ratings indicated that it offered a more personal experience. I could not have been happier with my experience. I have gotten great internships. I have a good job offer a semester before I am graduating. The students here are very open and friendly, and there are all kinds of kids here. What apparently makes them clones in some peoples' minds are that they dress decently and that generally, they come from affluent homes. I have taken challenging classes at Miami. I have had great professors. I have met great friends, who are all individuals. If you are a good student who prefers a more conservative environment where you will not be a number, this might be a good school for you
3rd Year Male -- Class 2015
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Individual Value: B
I've read a lot of negative comments aboutQuite BrightPolitical Science
I've read a lot of negative comments about Miami so I thought I'd put in my two cents. I am a Junior, not in a sorority, not super preppy and liberal and I still freaking love this school. Yes, it is a very particular place and for some people maybe too difficult to get used to but it is a great place to spend 4 years of your life. If you are confident in who you are and are actually an interesting person then you won't have a problem making friends and getting involved.

I have made some of the most amazing friends I could ask for, some are in sororities and fraternities and some aren't. I go out and have fun and while there are the occasional douche bags that look down on you if you aren't greek, they really mean nothing. You just have to know who you are and you'll find people who love you just the way you are. If anything, it has just pushed me to be more unique and secure in myself, something I'm ultimately grateful for.

Miami has given me great academic opportunities as well. I love my programs, political science and international studies. I have had maybe one professor I didn't like and none in my major programs. They give me many opportunities to intern and study abroad.

I have some problems with the administration but I guess not everything can be perfect.If I had to do it again I would absolutely pick Miami again, I'm sad I have to leave so soon.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2016
Education Quality: A+, Individual Value: B-
Miami wasn't my first choice of school, OhioQuite BrightPolitical Science
Miami wasn't my first choice of school, Ohio State was. After being denied from Ohio State's main campus and being offered a nice scholarship to a branch for a year, I decided it wasn't worth spending a year at a run-down branch campus in Mansifeld and choose Miami

Boy, was I right. Miami's stereotype is what first brought me away from making this college my first choice. Preppy students who are rich, wear North Face, Sperrys, and JCrew all the time. Well, it turns out all of those stereotypes are true. However, it shouldn't turn you away from this great school. You'll be able to make friends if you actually apply yourself. For example, if your like me don't like me and don't like the preppy fratty lifestyle, join a club that would have people that have a similar mindset. I didn't join a frat my freshman year because I thought it wasn't for me. I did newspaper, Model UN, and other clubs relating to me interests and made great friends.

My sophomore year I did the same thing except- get this- I joined a frat. However, I only did it because one of my good friends convinced me to go to a rush event with him. I told him I wasn't interested but I went anyway. It turns out the frat we went to had a few of my friends from classes in it. They were very accepting of who I was. I have no regrets joining, and I cannot wait to go back.

If you have reservations about coming to Miami because of the student body, I urge you to at least give it a try for a year. You will be relieved when you come back for the summer after your first year...but then, about a month later, you will wish you are back at Miami having the time of your life (and learning of course)

Speaking of education, I wouldn't have had as many opportunities to take as many classes as I did and get personal attention from them had I gone to OSU.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2015
University Resource Use: A+, Faculty Accessibility: B-
Compare MIAMIOH/Miami-OxfordSave MIAMIOH/Miami-Oxford

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→