StudentsReview :: Miami University - Oxford - Comments and Student Experiences

Ohio State University Columbus -- Columbus, OH
Ohio University -- Athens, OH

Coming OOS to Miami with very few friendsQuite BrightFinance
Coming OOS to Miami with very few friends was hard at first but quickly turned out to be the best decision I've ever made. As a direct admit to FSB, I could not speak more highly of the business school. Class sizes are small and the professors will know your name and make an effort to connect with you - they really want you to succeed inside and outside of the classroom. Several professors I've had have been concerned not just about your success in their class but are also beyond willing to help connect you to internships, give career advice, etc. Professors at Miami are committed to their undergrads. Business fraternities are popular, as are several other organizations and intramural sports. The Greek community is amazing...some sites like GreekRank may make it seem snooty, but in reality I have friends across several chapters. There is a definite emphasis on being Greek though, so if you are interested in it this is the place for you. Oxford may be a small town but it is "our town" for four years. Everything is within walking distance, restaurants are local, you are always seeing a familiar face, and not to mention campus is absolutely beautiful and exquisitely maintained. Living off-campus in named houses is a great tradition. Uptown has several restaurants and bars to choose from, and there is always a place to hang out with friends. While Oxford may lack in some things like a movie theatre, there is something to be said about packing your friends in a car and going on a fun drive to Cincy to shop or Hamilton (short 15 minutes away) to see a movie. Also, people always say that Miami kids are snotty, but I've made the best friends of my life here...I've seen much more self-absorbed people at IU in their Greek System. Miami students just generally come from affluent families, are well-put together and very driven. Overall, I could not speak more highly of Miami - truly a well-rounded college experience with a great education. If you have a work-hard play-hard attitude and want to go to a larger school that has a private-school feel where you won't just be a number, then Miami is the place for you.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2017
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: B
I read the negative comments on this boardQuite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
I read the negative comments on this board and they have got to be written by OU students. I was from Indiana and received a strong scholarship to Miami. I came here because I liked the size better than IU, and the faculty ratings indicated that it offered a more personal experience. I could not have been happier with my experience. I have gotten great internships. I have a good job offer a semester before I am graduating. The students here are very open and friendly, and there are all kinds of kids here. What apparently makes them clones in some peoples' minds are that they dress decently and that generally, they come from affluent homes. I have taken challenging classes at Miami. I have had great professors. I have met great friends, who are all individuals. If you are a good student who prefers a more conservative environment where you will not be a number, this might be a good school for you
3rd Year Male -- Class 2015
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Individual Value: B
I've read a lot of negative comments aboutQuite BrightPolitical Science
I've read a lot of negative comments about Miami so I thought I'd put in my two cents. I am a Junior, not in a sorority, not super preppy and liberal and I still freaking love this school. Yes, it is a very particular place and for some people maybe too difficult to get used to but it is a great place to spend 4 years of your life. If you are confident in who you are and are actually an interesting person then you won't have a problem making friends and getting involved.

I have made some of the most amazing friends I could ask for, some are in sororities and fraternities and some aren't. I go out and have fun and while there are the occasional douche bags that look down on you if you aren't greek, they really mean nothing. You just have to know who you are and you'll find people who love you just the way you are. If anything, it has just pushed me to be more unique and secure in myself, something I'm ultimately grateful for.

Miami has given me great academic opportunities as well. I love my programs, political science and international studies. I have had maybe one professor I didn't like and none in my major programs. They give me many opportunities to intern and study abroad.

I have some problems with the administration but I guess not everything can be perfect.If I had to do it again I would absolutely pick Miami again, I'm sad I have to leave so soon.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2016
Education Quality: A+, Individual Value: B-
Compare MIAMIOH/Miami-OxfordSave MIAMIOH/Miami-Oxford

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→