StudentsReview :: Ohio State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Miami University -- Oxford, OH
Ohio University -- Athens, OH

Ohio State University

I was in the College of Social WorkQuite Bright
I was in the College of Social Work at Ohio State. This review is toward that college specifically. I'm Very disappointed with the staff at this college. While many professors were nice at this college, the higher up personnel are the most disrespectful and rude employees I've ever met. The one star is for my professors. As a college focusing on Social Work, these behaviors should not be tolerated. In the NASW Code of Ethics for social workers, one of the codes is: Dignity and Worth of the Person. The first sentence in the description is, "Social workers treat each person in a caring and respectful fashion, mindful of individual differences and cultural and ethnic diversity." I can honestly say two of the higher up personnel at this college have treated me with more disrespect than I have ever received in my life. They made it impossible for me to finish my degree when I was in my last semester. I learned a lot at this school in my classes, but these two people ruined my college experience. I will never recommend this college to anyone. While Ohio State may be a good college as a whole, the college of Social Work needs some revamping. They need to be more caring and considerate. I, by no means did anything to deserve what they did to me. I truly believe it's very unfair. I'll state again, My LAST semester and they made it impossible for me to graduate from the social work college. It has hurt me so badly. I worked so hard to graduate and then poof, it's gone. My grade point average was 3.215. I worked so hard. I am so disappointed and saddened by what was done.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2016
Useful Schoolwork: A-, Education Quality: F
I remember looking on here to help determineQuite BrightUndecided
I remember looking on here to help determine whether a university was good or bad when I was applying to colleges. Honestly, there are so many different colleges with so many different reviews.Here is my review of OSU and I hope it will be helpful. I originally decided to attend Ohio State because, honestly I shot WAY too high and wanted to get into pretentious schools and I didn't. I'm from Columbus, so OSU seemed like it would be "good enough". Let me tell you, I now love Ohio State. Everyone is extremely receptive and friendly. There are over 1200 clubs and you will find something that interests you. I am extremely introverted and I'm already part of one of the scholars group--totally recommend--and two clubs. There's so many classes and so many majors, whether you're totally lost or know exactly what you want to do, you will graduate with the right major for you. The advisors are great and will commit to helping you. In fact, first semester you have to take a class with your advisor who will walk you through your major or will help you pick one if you're undecided. They will also help you pick classes and find the right schedule. Some of the professors or TAs aren't great, but there's so many free tutoring options and study groups. Columbus is a fun city with a lot going on. I grew up in Columbus and am just now discovering events on high street and downtown. Ohio State has its own bus service and has COTA bus stops, so don't worry about getting around. Football games alone are great events and a fun way to meet people. You don't have to treat it like a religion, like some people do. You don't even have to get tickets. No one judges you if you don't. Some of the dorms are a little outdated, but several have been renovated and they're super nice. I guess your dorm experience will depend on the building. If you're into studying abroad, research, internships, or volunteering, OSU will help you get connected. I know that a lot of colleges on here have such diverse reviews. If you're reading this, know that it's important to pick the college right for you. Not everyone will like that college, but it's best for you. Ohio State was going to be a downer for me, but I love it. If you're considering OSU, you will too. You have to try hard like everywhere else and there's students and professors you won't like just like everywhere else. But it has an endless supply of opportunities, knowledge, and people. If there's anything negative about it, the positives far outweigh it.
1st Year Female -- Class 2019
Education Quality: A+, Scholastic Success: B
My time at Ohio State has been awful.AverageAccounting
My time at Ohio State has been awful. The people seem all stuck up their own ass that they are at "The" Ohio State University... its not a private school its a state school. Also the American to non American ration is awful, basically you feel like you not in the United States anymore. Often I would try to approach a professor for help in classes and often was told to ask my Ta or go to the tutor room to be taught by a student who works their. Now don't get me wrong the tutors will help you but, often they can't explain things in a way that is understandable. Also they are trying everything they can to get rid of Average People and get only 4.0 students it feels like
2nd Year Male -- Class 2018