StudentsReview :: Ohio State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Miami University -- Oxford, OH
Ohio University -- Athens, OH

Ohio State University

I remember looking on here to help determineQuite BrightUndecided
I remember looking on here to help determine whether a university was good or bad when I was applying to colleges. Honestly, there are so many different colleges with so many different reviews.Here is my review of OSU and I hope it will be helpful. I originally decided to attend Ohio State because, honestly I shot WAY too high and wanted to get into pretentious schools and I didn't. I'm from Columbus, so OSU seemed like it would be "good enough". Let me tell you, I now love Ohio State. Everyone is extremely receptive and friendly. There are over 1200 clubs and you will find something that interests you. I am extremely introverted and I'm already part of one of the scholars group--totally recommend--and two clubs. There's so many classes and so many majors, whether you're totally lost or know exactly what you want to do, you will graduate with the right major for you. The advisors are great and will commit to helping you. In fact, first semester you have to take a class with your advisor who will walk you through your major or will help you pick one if you're undecided. They will also help you pick classes and find the right schedule. Some of the professors or TAs aren't great, but there's so many free tutoring options and study groups. Columbus is a fun city with a lot going on. I grew up in Columbus and am just now discovering events on high street and downtown. Ohio State has its own bus service and has COTA bus stops, so don't worry about getting around. Football games alone are great events and a fun way to meet people. You don't have to treat it like a religion, like some people do. You don't even have to get tickets. No one judges you if you don't. Some of the dorms are a little outdated, but several have been renovated and they're super nice. I guess your dorm experience will depend on the building. If you're into studying abroad, research, internships, or volunteering, OSU will help you get connected. I know that a lot of colleges on here have such diverse reviews. If you're reading this, know that it's important to pick the college right for you. Not everyone will like that college, but it's best for you. Ohio State was going to be a downer for me, but I love it. If you're considering OSU, you will too. You have to try hard like everywhere else and there's students and professors you won't like just like everywhere else. But it has an endless supply of opportunities, knowledge, and people. If there's anything negative about it, the positives far outweigh it.
1st Year Female -- Class 2019
Education Quality: A+, Scholastic Success: B
At tOSU you learn to collaborate with aBusiness - Management and Administration
At tOSU you learn to collaborate with a diverse set of people from all over the world, from different socioeconomic backgrounds, differing social skills, intelligence levels and political/religious beliefs. You also learn how to navigate a massive bureaucracy, which at any large company, will help you move up quickly. Not only do you accept diversity, you learn to embrace it and utilize it to your company's benefit. tOSU graduates are successful for this reason among many others. Employers like us because we are down to earth, hard working, and respectful of others; we have high EQs. In Houston, most of the tOSU grads have great positions - IT management, Engineering management, Public school administration, Investment Banking, Attorneys, even news anchors .. the list goes on & on. The alumni network is strong everywhere, and in any major city people generally have a high opinion of tOSU. If you can focus on your academics & make it to graduation, it will pay off for years to come.
This is a large university.Quite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
This is a large university. It is very easy to get lost if you don't have anyone to guide you. My first two years I struggled as the general education classes, as many mentioned, could have hundreds in the class. Later on I learned that 1)you need to sit in the first couple of rows, close to the teacher, if you want to get to know them, and 2)you need to study throughout the week, have a routine, if you want to get A's. My last years were in the business school, where classes were small (usually 20 students or less), and teachers were very accessible. I had a 3.0 the first two years and almost a 4.0 the remaining - due to disciplined study habits and smaller classes with direct professor interaction. The last 10 years or so, tOSU has become much more selective which is fantastic - that was my only complaint with a few (very few, but noticeable) people in the business school. Keep in mind there are many national merit scholars at tOSU as well (I knew 2 or 3 of them). The social life here is great, and if you can make it to graduation, you've truly proven yourself to be someone special. Businesses love tOSU and even out of state, it has a great reputation. Now I'm in Texas making almost $150-200k/year, along with my engineering friends that also moved here from tOSU. I later went to Stanford & had a 4.0 there as well; while this was graduate school and notably more difficult, the same study habbits got me through it. In all, tOSU is a great school; anywhere you end up living you will find vibrant alumni clubs, brand recognition, not to mention great job opportunities.
5th Year Male -- Class 2003