StudentsReview :: Ohio Wesleyan University - Comments and Student Experiences

Brown University -- Providence, RI

Ohio Wesleyan University

Dec 15 2014Business - Management and Administration
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Ohio Wesleyan was the worst mistake I've ever made. Nothing about this school is worth the money you're going to pay. The classes can be enjoyable and some professors can be enjoyable as well. Others are very self absorbed and caught up in their research. They simply lecture all class and show off how intelligent they are.

The nightlife here is awful. Every fraternity is on probation because public safety won't let ANYONE have parties on campus. Most people drink in their room and then go out to one of the only bars in town called Clancey's. Clancey's is the worst bar I have ever been to. The music sucks, the locals are rude, and the atmosphere is flat out awkward. If you like to party this IS NOT the school for you.

As a freshman you will most likely be placed in Thomson or Bashford hall. I lived in Bashford and it was quite the experience... There are multiple bug infestations in the building so bring ant traps, fly traps, bug spray, ect. The bathrooms are absolutely repulsive. Walking into the bathroom you will smell shit, piss, and any other bodily fluid. NOBODY CLEANS THE DORMS. In the showers, the drains are clogged by pubic hair and grime. The sinks are full of hair and food. I want to puke every time I brush my teeth. In addition to this, my dorm room is an absolute shit hole. All of my drawers have fallen apart and when I put a maintenance request in, nobody ever came and took care of it.

This school is flat out depressing. You can walk the main strip of the University on a friday night and not see a single soul. During the week, you'll walk the same strip and see a bunch of lifeless zombies stroll by. Nobody here is friendly and it is extremely hard to make friends here. If you're into rock, skateboarding, heavy mascara, and smoking cigs, this might be the school for you.

The food here is very average and does not provide a balance of healthy but good tasting food. The expense for this average food is absolutely outrageous. Smith hall has the absolute worst food in terms of quality. The Hamilton Williams Campus Center or "Hamwill" has better food hands down.

If you do a lot of studying in the library I would suggest investing in a pair of noise canceling headphones because it can be an absolute zoo in there, especially on the 2nd floor, I cannot stress how disappointed I am that I came here. It has been a very poor experience and I do not recommend this school to anyone. Please look into this school very carefully before coming here.

1st Year Male -- Class 2018
Perceived Campus Safety: B+, Education Quality: F
Aug 13 2014Biology
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
The university only cares about money. You are required to live in a dorm for four years- with few exceptions to the rule. There is hardly ever anything to do on campus.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2016
Campus Aesthetics: A, Individual Value: F
Jan 24 2014Math
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I'm in the midst of my second semester at OWU (o-woo, the only thing anyone will ever call it). I originally wanted to go to a bigger school, farther from home, but OWU gave me a great scholarship (as they do for many students) and I liked the school, so here I am. The city's a little boring, but it's such a friendly place. Classes are small, professors are helpful, coursework is challenging at times, but always doable. I'm still not a fan of the small student population (can't go ANYWHERE without knowing people, even after just being here for a week--but some people like that sort of thing). Biggest con: you HAVE to be on the meal plan and live on campus. few exceptions made. I'm hoping this rule will change soon--I think it's fairly new.

There's always a lot going on on campus. Which is good, because without a car, you're not very able to get off campus--well, you can walk into Delaware for a variety of small town dining and shopping options, but that's about it.

Greek life's pretty nice here. I didn't rush, but I might next year. Frat parties are fun, though they're all pretty similar so they get boring after a while.

They don't offer engineering or stats majors, which were two of my likely choices before coming here, so that was a bit of a letdown.

this isn't really following a very logical order.
the people are really what make OWU a good place--I believe most every faculty member and professor I've met here is genuinely kind and helpful. Most of the students are pretty decent too.

Faculty Accessibility: A+, Surrounding City: B-