StudentsReview :: Ohio Wesleyan University - Comments and Student Experiences

Brown University -- Providence, RI

For the cost of going here, I feelQuite Bright
For the cost of going here, I feel like OWU could do much better. The admissions counselors and the faculty in general do such a good job at luring you in so you'll commit to the school. Unfortunately, once you get in, you are able to take your "blinders" off and realize OWU isn't as awesome as everyone says it is. The education is good depending on the major. The resident's halls are falling apart, the campus is constantly under construction on the academic side, and the people here are either very snooty and judgmental or incredibly awkward. Although greek life is incredibly small, that's all this school revolves around. Women aren't allowed to live in the sorority houses, and there are few sororities to choose from. If you aren't affiliated, you feel lost and you don't feel as if you are participating in much. Our football team is pretty horrible and unfortunately, we have zero school spirit. Our school's retention rate is awful - nobody wants to come here let alone stay here. The school constantly raises tuition prices to make up for their loses due to the lack of enrollment. Whenever they do get hefty donations from alumni, they spend the money on things that don't really help out the students much at all. Recently, they got a huge donation to make a labyrinth. A freaking LABYRINTH. Oh, and the winters here are terrible. The school never... and I mean NEVER cancels class, and our president typically runs off to Florida for vacation while we suffer the cold up here. It's ridiculous. Overall, I feel bad for some of the freshman here. So many are forced to leave because they just can't afford it. OWU tells you a cost of tuition as if it is a set price, but they continuously raise it every year. I feel like for the amount of money I'm paying, I should be treated like royalty. But instead, I find myself becoming depressed to even call myself a "Battling Bishop". (Yeah, that's our mascot)...
1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Campus Maintenance: C-
Ohio Wesleyan was the worst mistake I've everAverageBusiness - Management and Administration
Ohio Wesleyan was the worst mistake I've ever made. Nothing about this school is worth the money you're going to pay. The classes can be enjoyable and some professors can be enjoyable as well. Others are very self absorbed and caught up in their research. They simply lecture all class and show off how intelligent they are.

The nightlife here is awful. Every fraternity is on probation because public safety won't let ANYONE have parties on campus. Most people drink in their room and then go out to one of the only bars in town called Clancey's. Clancey's is the worst bar I have ever been to. The music sucks, the locals are rude, and the atmosphere is flat out awkward. If you like to party this IS NOT the school for you.

As a freshman you will most likely be placed in Thomson or Bashford hall. I lived in Bashford and it was quite the experience... There are multiple bug infestations in the building so bring ant traps, fly traps, bug spray, ect. The bathrooms are absolutely repulsive. Walking into the bathroom you will smell shit, piss, and any other bodily fluid. NOBODY CLEANS THE DORMS. In the showers, the drains are clogged by pubic hair and grime. The sinks are full of hair and food. I want to puke every time I brush my teeth. In addition to this, my dorm room is an absolute shit hole. All of my drawers have fallen apart and when I put a maintenance request in, nobody ever came and took care of it.

This school is flat out depressing. You can walk the main strip of the University on a friday night and not see a single soul. During the week, you'll walk the same strip and see a bunch of lifeless zombies stroll by. Nobody here is friendly and it is extremely hard to make friends here. If you're into rock, skateboarding, heavy mascara, and smoking cigs, this might be the school for you.

The food here is very average and does not provide a balance of healthy but good tasting food. The expense for this average food is absolutely outrageous. Smith hall has the absolute worst food in terms of quality. The Hamilton Williams Campus Center or "Hamwill" has better food hands down.

If you do a lot of studying in the library I would suggest investing in a pair of noise canceling headphones because it can be an absolute zoo in there, especially on the 2nd floor, I cannot stress how disappointed I am that I came here. It has been a very poor experience and I do not recommend this school to anyone. Please look into this school very carefully before coming here.

1st Year Male -- Class 2018
Perceived Campus Safety: B+, Education Quality: F
The university only caresBrightBiology
The university only cares about money. You are required to live in a dorm for four years- with few exceptions to the rule. There is hardly ever anything to do on campus.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2016
Campus Aesthetics: A, Individual Value: F
Compare OWUSave OWU

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→