StudentsReview :: Ohio Wesleyan University - Comments and Student Experiences

Brown University -- Providence, RI

Ohio Wesleyan University

My experience at Ohio Wesleyan was quite negative

Apr 07 2004English
My experience at Ohio Wesleyan was quite negative. I found the coursework to be vapid, dull and unchallenging, and the professors to be indifferent and unengaging. While I encountered many students who were very smart, the majority were not very bright, nor academically motivated. Students would show up to class drunk on a regular basis and sleep through the lecture. Students are coddled by overly-permissive faculty who will not fail you no matter how inept you may be. Granted there are exceptions, and I respect those who had positive experiences at OWU, but I found the place to be depressing. Too many people from rich families who came to OWU because they couldn't get accepted anywhere else. Even the so-called honors program is simply a joke. My high school guidance counselor had heard many bad stories about OWU, and warned me not to go there...I guess I should have taken his advice!
1st Year Female -- Class 2003
Perceived Campus Safety: A, Education Quality: F

I am amazed by the polarity of opinions

Mar 22 2004English
I am amazed by the polarity of opinions on this forum -- people seem to either love or despise OWU. I would say that I fall somewhere in the middle. I attended OWU briefly, but I found the courswork to be too easy and so I transferred to another, more rigorous school which I liked much more. So OWU isn't as bad as some here have made it out to be -- it depends on what you're looking for in a school. I do agree with the person who said serious students should not go here -- they will just be bored. But those who had good things to say about OWU had some valid points too.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2002
Perceived Campus Safety: B-, Surrounding City: F

I am currently a junior at OWU, and

Mar 31 2004Economics
I am currently a junior at OWU, and I have to say that I am very disappointed in this school. I didn't expect much, as it is not a very elite school, but I felt the full scholarship they offered outweighed the lack of prestige. Big mistake. This school is VERY easy -- I've gotten straight A's with very minimal effort. Some below have commented that standards at OWU are low. Well, those people are right. This is just a very mediocre school -- I would say it is easily the worst liberal arts school in Ohio. I have spoken to people at other colleges, and they regard OWU as a bit of a joke -- no one thinks very highly of its academics or the caliber of students who go there. This is upsetting to me, as I got into several more elite schools, and could have gone somewhere better than OWU. I just hope I can get into a halfway decent graduate school, despite the shame of having graduated from OWU. Only one more year of boredom left.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2006