StudentsReview :: Ohio Wesleyan University - Comments and Student Experiences

Brown University -- Providence, RI

Ohio Wesleyan University

Yes, Ohio Wesleyan is liberal

Aug 11 2004Astronomy
Yes, Ohio Wesleyan is liberal. However, if you think the campus is crawling with hippies you are totally mistaken. I believe that the majority of Ohio Wesleyan students lean towards the left, but the notion that we are a population of lesbian, tree-hugging, vegan, anti-war protesters is completely false.

We also have a large gay students' population (like PRIDE, we used to have a house called House of Spirituality, gay week) but the proportion is not likely any different from any of the other liberal arts colleges. We are simply more accepting of others. Personally, I'm all for environmental and animal rights causes and would support more attention to said campaigns, but the truth is that students here all have their own agendas and interests.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2006
Education Quality: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: A

I just graduated from OWU, I only stuck

Jul 08 2011Art & Design Department
I just graduated from OWU, I only stuck around as long as I did because I was on scholarship and putting myself through school. Honestly, it was the biggest mistake I've made. I loved the art department for the most part; however, everything else about the school only served to make me regret my decision to attend more and more. The administration is a joke and on account of their folly I lost out on a minor, an abroad program, and still have no diploma. Unless your parents will undertake all finances and you can put up with really uptight people (yes, lots of snooty folk here) and don't mind being bored in this town, I suggest you look elsewhere for higher education. In conclusion, OWU is terrible- a true waste of time and money.
5th Year Male -- Class 2011
Perceived Campus Safety: A, Individual Value: F

Ohio Wesleyan started a whole new chapter in

Mar 17 2004Engineering Department
Ohio Wesleyan started a whole new chapter in my life, still holding tight those images of Ohio Wesleyan-in-the-brochure. Day by day, I've been exposed to so much more of an unadvertised Ohio Wesleyan: one of the top libearal arts colleges if ranked academically; super fun classes; energetic student activities, by which I've first been made aware of many social issues in the US; a wide range of academic classes, some of which I have never thought of, but now have a real chance to explore, etc. I now wish I could stay at Ohio Wesleyan for 8 years, just to take all the classes that I like, though I know that it takes about 125 years to finish all the classes in Ohio Wesleyan's curriculum!!

But what impresses me most is probably my professors. Growing up in an educational environment where 30 students in a class meet each other everyday and thus become very close members of a big family, I was quite upset by the new American system. Everyone is always on-the-run. I see about a hundred "classmates" in four different classes everyday, but hardly see someone for more than an hour of class time. It's the professors that make me comfortable and confident again. I can always drop by during their office hours to discuss schoolwork, to complain about anything and to seek for encouragements, especially when SAD (seasonal affective disorder) falls on me in winter. I adore my math professors for their great lectures, their fun manners and the enthusiasm they bring to class every day. At their late twenties, my Japanese instructors become my big sisters and reliable friends. I'm totally indebted to these people for the rest of my life.

However, Ohio Wesleyan University is not a bed of roses. America is still a notion I haven't grown accustomed to, and the cultural shocks are still shaking me, yet Ohio Wesleyan keeps my feet standing firmly on the ground. I've discovered parts of myself, learnt how to value my origin and tradition, and most of all, learnt how to treasure the family and friends I have back in Vietnam. As one of my friends puts it, "Ohio Wesleyan doesn't change me. It just makes me more."

3rd Year Male -- Class 2004