StudentsReview :: Ohio Wesleyan University - Comments and Student Experiences

Brown University -- Providence, RI

The university only cares

Aug 13 2014Biology
The university only cares about money. You are required to live in a dorm for four years- with few exceptions to the rule. There is hardly ever anything to do on campus.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2016
Campus Aesthetics: A, Individual Value: F

Ohio Wesleyan has relaxed admissions standards a bit

Dec 03 2013Journalism
Ohio Wesleyan has relaxed admissions standards a bit so that nearly 74% of applicants as of this writing are admitted. That is very different from what it was in 1985 when I applied, and I do hope that changes. On the surface, it might seem then that the university provides an easy path to graduation, and let me tell you, my current and inside knowledge of the school tells me that that is not true. Students who think they can attend Ohio Wesleyan and just skate by will be sorely mistaken. The professors, on average, expect excellence from the students; no easy A's or passing grades handed out here. Students have to work here to be successful. The work does help with the learning, so it's a good idea to put in the work.If you can accept that, then Ohio Wesleyan is a terrific place to attend. People I graduated with have gone on to become doctors, professors, teachers, lawyers, journalists, and successful business people. The campus is beautiful. The students are well-cared for, and there are a million things to get involved in from Division III athletics to greek life to theater and more.
Starting Job: Reporter Preparedness: B+ Reputation: F

I'm in the midst of my second semester

Jan 24 2014Math
I'm in the midst of my second semester at OWU (o-woo, the only thing anyone will ever call it). I originally wanted to go to a bigger school, farther from home, but OWU gave me a great scholarship (as they do for many students) and I liked the school, so here I am. The city's a little boring, but it's such a friendly place. Classes are small, professors are helpful, coursework is challenging at times, but always doable. I'm still not a fan of the small student population (can't go ANYWHERE without knowing people, even after just being here for a week--but some people like that sort of thing). Biggest con: you HAVE to be on the meal plan and live on campus. few exceptions made. I'm hoping this rule will change soon--I think it's fairly new.

There's always a lot going on on campus. Which is good, because without a car, you're not very able to get off campus--well, you can walk into Delaware for a variety of small town dining and shopping options, but that's about it.

Greek life's pretty nice here. I didn't rush, but I might next year. Frat parties are fun, though they're all pretty similar so they get boring after a while.

They don't offer engineering or stats majors, which were two of my likely choices before coming here, so that was a bit of a letdown.

this isn't really following a very logical order.
the people are really what make OWU a good place--I believe most every faculty member and professor I've met here is genuinely kind and helpful. Most of the students are pretty decent too.

Faculty Accessibility: A+, Surrounding City: B-