StudentsReview :: The University of Akron - Comments and Student Experiences

Ohio State University Columbus -- Columbus, OH

The University of Akron

I loved going here for nursing.Quite BrightNursing
I loved going here for nursing. I started off as a pre nursing major in the living learning communities in the dorms and went from there. It is a hard program but everyone really WANTS you to learn and wants you to be successful. There are always those "mean" instructors but I have honestly loved all of my clinical instructors and my higher up senior level professors for lecture. There are many opportunities right around campus to gain medical experience as well. Also, almost all of the students had job offers before we even graduated our spring semester. The only negative is that I felt that the program didn't fully prepare me for my Nclex. The course (Kaplan) that they force you to take your senior year and a week after you graduate was a waste of time and money. The majority of nursing students had to pay extra money to take different courses after graduation (I recommend Buszta Review) in order to pass the Nclex in 75 questions. Other than that, all four years were great. I only failed one class (patho) by a couple percentages but was "forgiven" and removed from my record after passing it the next semester.
4th Year Female -- Class 2016
Individual Value: A+, Perceived Campus Safety: C-
I LOVE The University of Akron! I amBrightOther
I LOVE The University of Akron! I am a commuter student, a junior going into the Respiratory Therapy program this fall. The program is highly competitive to get into, but the staff so far have been great. I have only had maybe one teacher who I've disliked so far, the rest have been amazing. People don't understand that there is no such thing as the "perfect" school! My decision to choose Akron wasn't about finding the perfect school, it was about choosing an affordable university that was close to home. I never cared for the "college experience"-my #1 goal is to graduate on time, not party like a rock star. I feel very safe on campus. However, crime does take place on off-campus housing frequently. So if you are able to commute, please do it! Other than that, I've never questioned my safety on campus. My advice to incoming freshmen would be to take your gen eds at a community college and then transfer over to UA, it will save you so much money. Another piece of advice I have to offer is that if you don't like your adviser, request a new one and FAST! Do NOT settle for an adviser who is not 100% on your side or tries to talk you out of pursuing your dreams. My transfer adviser was not the greatest, but it was easily resolved once I requested a new one. If you have an adviser you like, it is smooth sailing. That is your go-to person for everything and you need to be comfortable with them. They should be your cheerleader and rock for the next 4+ years of your life.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2017
Education Quality: A+, Individual Value: B-
The University of Akron is a very goodEducation
The University of Akron is a very good university. The first thing that all college students should consider before going to college is, there is no perfect University. What you as a student must find is the university in which you can exact the most benefit from. UA was that school for me.

There are many resources at UA to make students successful, and there are far fewer students competing for those resources.

I was able to be the manager of several student organizations, worked many jobs on campus, get a fully paid internship through the University to work in the Statehouse in Columbus (housing was paid for, and they paid me to work the internship). I graduated with a degree, immediately got offered a job from those I met through my undergraduate program, and have zero debt. I cannot stress enough the fact that I have zero debt.

Ultimately a student is the person who decides if their going to succeed or not; this is true at any university. At The University of Akron I honestly feel that you have a better chance of meeting whatever goals that you have.

UA athletics are a lot of fun and you get into all games for free as a student. EVERY SINGLE GAME. Men's and Women's basketball are good. Soccer is good, and football is slowly becoming a powerhouse in the Mid-American Conference.Excellent, Excellent, excellent experience. Hopefully it can help you meet your goals as well.

The University of Akron