StudentsReview :: The University of Cincinnati - Comments and Student Experiences

Ohio State University Columbus -- Columbus, OH

The University of Cincinnati

I am a transfer student, and I haveQuite BrightElectrical Engineering
I am a transfer student, and I have to say, this is the worst university I have studied at.
I'll start with the transfer process. Overall, this took about 2 months to get the acceptance letter. I know my transcripts arrived 3 to 4 days after I applied because of delivery confirmation so that wasn't the holdup. I got the acceptance letter in march. Only one of the three transcripts I sent in was evaluated and all credits listed were listed as electives. It is September now and none of my other credits have been counted.

Now lets get on to signing up for courses. The advising session is mandatory but nobody tells you that. Also, they will block out registration for months at a time because of orientation groups. So you will be trying to sign up for classes but the computer will keep kicking you out and you have no idea why. The system will also undo class registrations because you don't have the pre-requesites done, even though an exception was added for you to take the class. Fail on registration.

VA and GI Bill. I submitted my letter of eligibility to the veterans affairs office back in June. They did not process my GI bill till the end of August, so I was forced to take out a loan. Not happy about that.

Classes. Now for the meat of my complaint the classes themselves. This is the first time in my college education where I have no clue what is due, for what class it's due, and when it's due. Out of the five classes I'm taking only one of them do I have a clue what is due when. The professor hates blackboard, and attendance is mandatory in her class. At the start of each class she announces upcoming assignments and any other pertinent info. She is the only one that does this. All of the other instructors just funnel the information through the mess that is blackboard and call it good. This semester I've missed multiple assignments because of this poor setup. In larger classes you may also be dealing with multiple sections and a 'meta' site. Things get posted to all sites and it's near impossible to keep track of everything.

Faculty. It's 30/70. Some are helpful, most are not. Most of them force you to schedule an appointment for the office hours listed on the syllabus. Then when you go to them with a legitimate problem, many of them will just tell you no, nothing can be done. You then have the issue of understanding what the hell they are saying. Most of the instructors are not native speakers of english.Needless to say, I won't be coming back to this university next semester.

1st Year Male -- Class 1921
Campus Aesthetics: A, Useful Schoolwork: D
I was very wary about attending the UniversityQuite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
I was very wary about attending the University of Cincinnati as there was always talk about safety, academics, and campus resources being sub-par. All of these misconceptions were incredibly inaccurate. Coming to the University of Cincinnati has allowed me to take on leadership roles immediately throughout the extra-curricular activities offered here. The faculty are fantastic and all of my classes have been really enjoyable! You can also walk from one end of campus to the other in about 15 minutes, how can you beat that?

In addition to academics, residence life is really fantastic too. Many residence halls are state of the art and the older ones have a great social environment. All freshman are required to have meal plans if you live on campus and they provide a lot of great food options too!In all, I really love UC, and if you are on the fence about attending, go to an open house or tour! Hopefully the University of Cincinnati has something they can offer you, they sure did for me!

1st Year Female -- Class 2019
Innovation: A+, Useful Schoolwork: C
I have had to transfer to about 3BrightOther
I have had to transfer to about 3 different universities, mainly because my husband was in the military and we had to move around a lot. But I have never in my life experienced such a horrible university like this one. They are the most money hungry university. They charge you for everything, they don't make you aware of additional charges until it is too late and you then get hammered with additional fees.

The academic advisers will advise you incorrectly. I spoke to mine a few times regarding courses that I needed to take toward my geological sciences degree. I ended up taking two semesters worth of courses that weren't necessary to my degree at all. I was made aware of this by the dean to undergraduate affairs as he was also my professor. If I needed to get advising from an academic, I spoke only to him and he told me exactly what I needed to take.

The core education that I was given was substantially better than any university that I attended. I learned more at UC than I did anywhere else. I was an off campus student so I don't know anything about the student life or anything. But the surrounding area of UC is not safe. If I could do it over again, I would drive the hour and 45 minutes every other day to attend OSU. That's how awful my experience was. To have a great education shaded by shady financial issues and shady academic advisers is very unfortunate.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2019