StudentsReview :: The University of Cincinnati - Comments and Student Experiences

Ohio State University Columbus -- Columbus, OH

The University of Cincinnati

Jan 09 2015History/Histories (art history/etc.)
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
It is really disappointing for me to say that I did not enjoy my time at Cincinnati. I am from Akron, Ohio or the Cleveland, Ohio area (which is about 4 hours away) and the culture in Cincinnati is completely different. The reason I decided to go there is because of the beautiful campus and how far away it was from home. I really wish I never went to Cincinnati for those reasons.

I currently live in Dabney (the oldest dorm there) and it is so gross. The bathrooms are rarely fully cleaned and I can't stand the people on my floor. I tried meeting and befriending all of the girls on my floor and it completely backfired. Everyone I became friends with, I got sick of realy quickly. Almost everyone there is from south of Columbus and Kentucky. I can't stand the culture. It is nothing like home and I found myself getting really homesick. Greek life is a huge part of this school so if you're like me and don't care about sororities, then it gets a little annoying. Also there was a lot of drama on my floor and the RA always backed up the girls who were being mean. That probably didn't help with my freshman experience either.

Yeah the campus is nice but it is so gross. People do not care and it is filled with trash and the sewers on campus reek. The food courts are awful and makes my stomach hurt. Although there is a large variety, the food is not cooked well. I like how the campus is one big campus but you can't go off campus by yourself. It is also not common for sophmores to live in dorms so by the first semester of your freshman year you basically have to look for a nicer apartment off campus or limited spaced apartments off campus. It really floors me the amount of people who live off campus. Since all of the drama on my floor I'm literally stuck on campus because I can't go off by myself due to the horrible crime rate. When I first got there, I wasn't scared of the crime but if you really think about it, it is really awful, especially because I'm a girl. I would recommend this campus to people who are in Athletics, Nursing, Engineering, and DAAP because they literally do not care about any other students. My major is technically in DAAP since I'm an Art History major but it doesn't feel that connected. I'm at least happy to say I am transferring because I can't even deal with the personalities at that school any longer. Although it is depressing because I didn't think the culture would be that different because it is still in Ohio.

1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Useful Schoolwork: A-, Campus Maintenance: F
Nov 25 2014Undecided
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
UC is great if you don't mind feeling unsafe constantly. Homeless are everywhere, the nearest stores (groceries) off campus are close but always crowded with people awaiting drug deals and crap. Frats/Sororities are total snobs, and put partying/drinking before your coursework. They even force the pledges to hand out alcohol at parties, but I guess if you're a pledge you're the type to participate in their shit. The only good thing about this campus is DAAP, which is why I'm here. But everything that is wonderful about DAAP isn't even enough to keep me here. Campus is beautiful. People are stupid. DAAP is great. Homeless people approaching you in the streets (or even occasionally on campus) is terrifying/not cool, especially with the amount of emails we receive notifying us of robberies and shootings. If you have another college option, take it.
1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Campus Aesthetics: A-, Education Quality: F
Nov 24 2014Criminal
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
This has been the most horrible experience I have ever had. I am sorry but the Professors don't teach us we are handed off to facilitators which turn out to be PHd students. The professors are rude and very self absorbed. I am an honor student and this is IN SPITE of the poor teaching at this university. There is no consistency in teaching. My first class I got a syllabus and WHAM I am telling you up front what is required if you want a letter of recommendation from me. Never seen this on a syllabus before. The teachers don't fully explain what they want. When you don't understand and ask for help WHAM again. You should not be here if you have a busy life. I am currently finishing up my last class and the professor is jetting off to Scotland and then San Francisco. Then she has to take a snow day off. Sorry students but I am too busy to help you. But her syllabus very clearly states NO LATE WORK accepted. Sounds like a big time double standard to me. I will graduate with honors in December of 2014. So this is not a sour grapes review but a honest review of what I have seen is a school that is there to collect your money and fully prepared to offer you nothing in return. There is a few professors that are great but unfortunately there is too many bad professors. I would highly recommend that anyone who is considering University of Cincinnati to run the other direction there is too many schools out there, Good Luck to my fellow students in your future endeavors.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2014