StudentsReview :: The University of Cincinnati - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Total Grad Surveys 24
Females 14
Males 10
Avg years at University 2.3
Research Quality C+ (5.7)
Research Availability B- (5.9)
Research Funding B- (5.8)
Graduate Politics C (4.8)
Not Errand Runners B (6.7)
Degree Completion B- (6.3)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] C (4.9)
Sufficient Pay C+ (5.3)
Competitiveness C+ (5.5)
Education Quality B- (6.3)
Faculty Accessibility B (7.0)
Useful Research B- (6.2)
"Individual" treatment C (4.5)
Friendliness C+ (5.7)
Safety C (4.6)
Campus Beauty B- (6.1)
Campus Maintenance B (7.2)
University Spending B- (6.3)
Extracurriculars B (6.6)
Scholastic Success C+ (5.7)
Surrounding City B (6.7)
Social Life/ Environment B (6.6)
"Individual" treatmentC
Campus MaintenanceB
This university employs some shady billing practices andMar 30 2021Electrical Engineering
This university employs some shady billing practices and when you question it.. they pile on more fees equateable to 50% of the principal balance. You are helpless to fight it as they have the state of Ohio behind them and will garnish your wages, tax returns everything. Then when they have done all that.. they will pile on more fees to keep your balance active so they can repeat this process. You should borrow money from a loan shark, they will give better rates than the financial aid office.
If you're passionate about nutrition and want toMar 27 2017Nutrition
If you're passionate about nutrition and want to pursue a degree in it, don't go to University of Cincinnati. It is where nutrition passion goes to die.

I've always been a straight A student, including previous degrees from "top ranking" universities known for academic rigor. At University of Cincinnati the faculty does not inspire, there is a lack of 'community', I don't feel safe on campus, and the program itself is not challenging. I have never felt more unfulfilled with busy work in my life. Also, there is ZERO career advice or placement assistance other than working in Children's hospital. The material itself is largely geared toward clinical nutrition.

They do not require too many credits for the Masters degree, but they only offer select courses each semester so it can make graduation timing unnecessarily long. Also, if you haven't lived in Cincinnati before this is another serious consideration. The city is experiencing increased investment and rebuilding, but compared to many other cities there is much to be desired. There also are not a lot of outdoor activities nearby, so I find it very claustrophobic.

Don't know about other programs, but the programsMay 30 2016School of Information
Don't know about other programs, but the programs of UC's college of business are attracting a lot of top talent from various corners of the world. I know many people who left Carnegie Mellon MISM-BIDA to join UC MSBA. I myself have admits from NYU, CMU and TAMU etc but I chose to join UC MSIS because of its low cost and the course structure. With students getting placed at various big firms, slowly but surely, UC is becoming more popular in the professional world outside Ohio too. Hope this progress continues.I saw that few people mentioned about safety, in and around the campus. This might have been an issue before, but I feel that it is pretty safe now.
I can only speak for the Electrical EngineeringJan 28 2014Electrical Engineering
I can only speak for the Electrical Engineering Dept., but this can be easily extrapolated to most of the Engineering School. The quality of Professors is abysmal. Assistant Professors that were actually good teachers and researchers are forced to leave because of no possibility of tenure. UC frittered away all its money on pretty buildings and then on the football program the year they went big. The coffers are empty, and it shows.

No Masters' students can ever hope to get research funding or a TA, and only a small percentage of PhDs get Research Funding. This sounds ludicrous, but is absolutely true. The rest of the PhDs fight over TA positions. Towards the end of my stint there, they converted an TA position to a "half-TA" position, which essentially means that a person gets half the money to do the same job. My advisor was a tenured professor who did not pay me a penny for 2 years of research work.

Even though Cincinnati is a major city, only 10 or so Engineering companies show up for job fairs. None of these also seems from the area.This university is a calamity. Stay far away.

UC professionalism is very poorMay 02 2013Architecture & Urban Planning Department
UC professionalism is very poor. As a grad student I expected one on one interaction with the professors. Dead wrong! The professors play the favorite cards, blatantly, especially Professor Marissa Zaptata: 42 year old woman who is trying to ?hang? with the 24 year old kids. There have been other rumors linked to her also.

The professor are so involved with their research, they provide no feedback, positive or negative. I pay them to teach. I expect some direction. This school isn?t worth the money. Make sure you look into reviews about the professor, some may be BS but I found others are relevant, and really provide some clarity of the professionalism of the professors.

What are we supposedMar 10 2012Unknown
What are we supposed to make of a school that half the people describe as wonderful and the other half describe as the university of bagdad? Which is true? Do we split the difference? UC has gone from a city college to a research school in a decade and a half. What does this mean?
Although my UC experience is a bit datedDec 02 2010Political Science
Although my UC experience is a bit dated compared to some of the other recent comments, I can say this for certainty: the education I received at U.C. was world class. I have spent all but three months since graduation in Washington, D.C., and I've seen, first-hand, the universities and professors who believe in U.S. News & World Report rankings more than reality, and basically, they're all buffoons. Currently, I work for a Cabinet Agency, and one of my responsibilities is to select interns who apply from colleges across the country. As a general rule of thumb, the "best" schools tend to produce the worst applicants, so I'm bringing on two U.C. undergrads to come to Washington to intern for me this summer - paid. It's a great school that's become better since I graduated.
Aug 26 2010Aerospace Engineering
Cant get a better place to study..
Research Topic(s): Nondestructive Characterization
UC is not a good schoolMar 15 2006Business - Management and Administration
UC is not a good school. I did not feel challenged, my graduate classes were easier than my undergrad classes at the University of Illinois-Chicago and I am finding that a lot of people in the professional world don‘t consider a degree from UC highly. The only reason I attended UC for graduate school was because my fiancé had received a job offer there. I had a very difficult time finding a job after graduation form UC. While at UC, things were very chaotic, lots of crime on and off campus, and there was little to no institutional control. As a graduate student, I worked as a TA, which was an eye opening experience. I seen with my own eyes why UC gets such a bad rep. I saw a lot of students cheating during exams and plagiarizing on papers, some athletes were the worst. The ones that I had did not care about getting an education and nine times out of ten, many would not even bother coming to class, especially on exam days. However, my supervisor, who happens to be a university professor, seemed not to care and passed these individuals so they would be eligible to play. I was really shocked and decided to find another job. Overall from my experience, UC is nothing but a jock school that lacks academic integrity. There has been a lot of money spent on improving athletic facilities; however, there has been nothing done to improve the academic quality and improve the type of students at UC. I also noticed that students and the administration are very prejudice against minorities. My advice would be to find another school if you are looking to get a bang for your buck. If you want to go to a jock factory in which people will look down on your degree and you will gain little to nothing from the time you enter to the time you leave, then attend UC.
Aug 19 2005Other
Depends on the program. Mine was good and tough, but graduation was ambiguous.
All around this isMar 16 2003Civil Engineering
All around this is a great university. My personal experience has been fantastic. Not only are the academics top notch, but the university has opened professional doors that wouldn’t have been available elsewhere.
Compare UCincinnSave UCincinn