StudentsReview :: The University of Toledo Engineering School - Comments and Student Experiences

The University of Toledo Engineering School

The University of Toledo has a great Engineering

Oct 27 2013Mechanical Engineering
The University of Toledo has a great Engineering program which I believe is underrated. After graduating from UT and obtaining a full-time position without trouble, I found that UTs program is comparable to those of larger, more well-known engineering colleges in the Midwest such as University of Illinois, Purdue and University of Wisconsin. I cannot comment on ?THE? Ohio State University as most employers I have worked with find these students have inflated egos. I do not doubt the quality of education from OSU is top notch, it?s just well known in the engineering field that OSU students tend to be insufferable as people.

The large difference at UT from other colleges is that the co-op program is MANDITORY. This means as a student, you must obtain an internship for at least 3 semesters in order to graduate. I feel this made my degree worth more, however some students did struggle to obtain a co-op and were forced to change majors (typically to Engineering Tech). Do not let this intimidate you though, if you are a driven student who actually tries to succeed while in college instead of attending frat parties, then this will not be an issue for you. You will quickly find yourself working as a student for large companies making a decent amount of money while getting your foot in the door for full-time positions upon graduation.

I did feel that the fact that UT is not a widely known engineering school was an obstacle when searching for jobs before graduations. A lot of companies will only recruit from the local engineering schools. However, with the advancement of technology, a lot of companies accept resumes online now and I feel as though this ?obstacle? will become less of a hindrance for future undergrads.

The student life wasn't anything to brag about but let?s be serious, as an engineering student you will be spending most of your time studying and doing homework. I did find myself avoiding main campus as much as possible, consider the engineering campus (which is just a walk across the street from the main campus) as a safe haven for you engineers. If you do like being involved in campus activities, there is usually a lot going on in the main campus, especially during the first few weeks of fall semester.

Over all, I enjoyed my education at the engineering campus of the University of Toledo. The adviser for the mechanical engineering department was extraordinarily helpful. I thought while I was attending the university that I would be better off at a larger engineering school but upon graduation I found this to be false.

Preparedness: B+ Reputation: C-