StudentsReview :: The University of Toledo - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Total Grad Surveys 16
Females 8
Males 8
Avg years at University 1.9
Research Quality B- (6.5)
Research Availability B (6.8)
Research Funding B- (5.9)
Graduate Politics C+ (5.7)
Not Errand Runners B (6.6)
Degree Completion B (7.1)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] B+ (7.6)
Sufficient Pay B (6.9)
Competitiveness B- (6.0)
Education Quality C+ (5.5)
Faculty Accessibility B (7.2)
Useful Research B (6.7)
"Individual" treatment B- (6.4)
Friendliness B+ (7.4)
Safety B- (6.5)
Campus Beauty B+ (8.0)
Campus Maintenance A- (8.4)
University Spending B (6.9)
Extracurriculars B+ (7.9)
Scholastic Success B (7.3)
Surrounding City C+ (5.7)
Social Life/ Environment B- (6.0)
Education QualityC+
Campus MaintenanceA-
As an international CS Master student and afterSep 14 2017Computer Engineering
As an international CS Master student and after 3 years of study, I can claim UToledo and surrounding neighborhood are the most awful place in this universe. Dead city, terrible weather, ridiculous EECS department and passive faculties are the best definition of Toledo and UToledo. There is no, and absolutely no social life in Toledo and in neighborhood, winter is too long in that region with dry cold and wind, the chair of EECS is not helpful and tries to not to support you as much is he can! Most of the PhD students toughly get half TA (since likely nobody has grant/funding in EECS) from department, think about poor MSc students! Furthermore few people in EECS are very rude and impolite in communication! EECS even does not spend money to provide research resources! e.g. you do not have access to most important conferences/journals such as IEEE and ACM! Isn't it funny?!However, I was working with a responsible and loyal guy in EECS department and I was productive and could get PhD admission from tier-2 school. My recommendation is to not to go there specially for EECS, if you have to, try to choose your advisor wisely and prepare yourself for hard time and depression!
Jun 14 2015Electrical Engineering
I got transferred to this school in my second semester and thats the right choice i had made in my life . loving my time here
I am an International Student and before IJun 13 2011Electrical Engineering
I am an International Student and before I started attending this University I had a dream of learning new things in my Masters but to my expectation this University has nothing interesting.The Electrical Engineering Department is a big mess.Few Professors don't have students to advise and one particular Professor steals all the funds from the department and feeds his students.I had a good GPA but I was not granted at least a fee waiver.An another thing I want to mention is I performed well in a class and the Professor gave me a B- instead of giving me at least A-.Later I came to know that Professor gives more marks to the female students than male students.This is idiotic. The only thing why I am still in this University is the research which I am doing is good and that is the only reason I have been bearing all my financial problems.If you have any other school in your list then you better choose the other cuz this School is no good if you want to become a good Electrical Engineer.
Do not attend thisAug 11 2010Music Education
Do not attend this school if you plan on becoming a music educator. I hold multiple degrees from this University and the music department, and the only thing I have found use for them is to line the bird cage. For the record I graduated with a 4.0 GPA.
I didn't know anything about the UnivOct 10 2009Physical Therapy/Exercise Science
I didn't know anything about the Univ. or Toledo in general but received a GA position with a competitive stipend so decided to attend. I did not learn a single thing at Toledo while getting my masters. Every class basically focused on how to write a thesis. This was useful for getting my degree, but in no way increased my knowledge or understanding in my field. I rarely had to study and the course work was easy. The instructors were very friendly and accessible, so that was a bonus. The administration of the school seems to be very disorganized, and none of the employees seemed knowledgeable. The city of Toledo itself was very boring. There is little to do, other than go to bars, which can be done anywhere, and gets very old when its the only option. I was glad to get out of there as soon as I could. Anyway, if your looking for an easy masters degree than Toledo may work for you. But if you have other options, you should probably take a closer look at them instead.
I had a greatAug 19 2008Education
I had a great experience at this University. However, in hindsight, I would say that this was in part due to having a great advisor, Robert Sullivan, who was greatly involved in my course plan.
Toledo has beautiful campusFeb 13 2008Civil Engineering
Toledo has beautiful campus and very competitive engineering college. I passed the FE exam and the PE Exam on the first try thanks to the strong curriculum at the University of Toledo.
I had a wonderful expreience at the UniversityFeb 04 2008Business - Management and Administration
I had a wonderful expreience at the University of Toledo. I do not believe the people the wrote the review before me had any idea about the University of Toledo. In the year 2007, The princeton Review ranked Toledo college of engineering as number 18 in the US for Graduate Study. Also, in 2008, Toledo Business School was ranked by the princeton Review as one of the best 290 Business Schools in North America. Toledo has a very challenging college of Pharmacy and one of the bes Law Schools in the Nation. I graduated from the University of Toledo College of Business with Masters in Business Administration in 2003. I am currently certified in Project Management, Program Managementk, and working toward Business Analysis certification. I also want to mention that I lived in Toledo for 17 years. Toledo and the University of Toledo Specifically is a very safe for Students. The city of Toledo has the headquarter for many majot companies. some of these companies are Owens Corning, Owens Illinos, Dana corporation. Toledo also has a Jeep Plant and a Crysler assembly plant. I know many people that graduated from the University of Toledo that are very successful
Research Topic(s): Health care management
Wouldn't go here againDec 09 2006Sociology
Wouldn't go here again if I had the choice. The professors dont' get back to you. The city is dangerous. The campus is boring after 5:00. Worst of all, I could have gotten a better education from the paper boy.
I was really excited to attend the school,Dec 02 2006History/Histories (art history/etc.)
I was really excited to attend the school, but they have changes a lot since I arrived. UT is about to become a technology oriented school, so if you are an engineer, this is the place to be. They give money where they think they'll get accolades; they look for people who offer outside funding. Don't come here if you are a liberal arts person. There is a lot of political problems, but they do seem to be making an effort to listen to students. There is a lot of tension between admin and faculty.
The University of Toledo police have a long-standingNov 11 2004Accounting
The University of Toledo police have a long-standing history of committing crimes against students. Their most infamous act was when on-duty police officer Jeffrey Hodge kidnapped Nursing School sophomore Melissa Herstrum and took her behind a building on campus. After undressing her, he pumped fourteen bullets into her head, back, legs, and buttocks. A shot to her head was fired at point blank range. Just one week before this murder, Jeffrey Hodge pumped several shots into a sleeping female student's dorm room, narrowly missing her by several inches. He also set several fires on campus, made bomb threats, and harassed female students in several situations.

Because the University of Toledo administration knew of Hodge's behavior, but took no action, they were forced to pay Melissa Herstrum's family one million dollars in a settlement.

Although it's been over a decade since Jeffrey Hodge carried out this grizzly murder, it has not stopped the UT police from continuing their rampage of crimes against students. Just some of their indiscretions include a nine-year veteran of the UT police who was convicted of selling crack cocaine (Toledo Blade, 5/23/96), a UT officer who was cited for failing to stop at an intersection and plowing into another vehicle (Toledo Blade, 4/23/97), and wrong-doing which motivated UT faculty to write an open letter requesting an investigation into police violence against students on campus (Independent Collegian, 1/25/01). Most recently, a University of Toledo police officer was disciplined and suspended for using excessive use of force (Toledo Blade, 6/19/04).

I have attended several institutions of higher learning and would rank the University of Toledo as the absolute worst. I enrolled at the University of Toledo to complete my professional license requirements and was horrified at what I experienced.

The bureaucracy is rude, dishonest, and dehumanizing.
They are as corrupt as any UT police officer and just as prone to treat someone with disrespect. They cannot be trusted with anything. Professors are frequently late for class and the quality of classroom instruction is poor. Professors are uninspired, arrogant, and unresponsive to student needs.

The University of Toledo police have as poor a record of preventing crime as their record is of committing it. Break-ins, sexual assaults, and auto theft are frequent occurrences on campus. In Parks Tower dormitory, for example, 27 dorm room keys were stolen over spring break, resulting in $35,000 in losses from students' rooms. The University of Toledo police have no suspects, though they reported keeping a police presence within the building when the crimes occurred.Unlike many universities, the University of Toledo has virtually no adjoining campus business district. The campus is scenic, but it's surrounded by fast-moving, busy urban streets. Slums adjoin the separate sections of campus which are located miles apart within the city. International students are forced to live in ghettos and commute long distances over bumpy roads to reach campus. Some are forced to ride in dilapidated UT buses which are unsafe.

Research Topic(s): Bad Bureaucracy and Crooked Cops
The university of Toledo wouldn't be the bestNov 24 2003Chemical Engineering
The university of Toledo wouldn't be the best choice that one might make, the promises before coming here were overwhelming but got nothing. The fundation is awful and lots of grad. students have problems keep going or finish on time due to fundation problems. Researches are not that interesting. The bright side about the Univesity of toledo, if you are looking for competition, then this is not the place for you. You don't have to study and you still in a good shape (NOT GOOD!!!). Some professors are selfabsorbed and very unhelpful while others are real helpful (nature of human being).
The University of Toledo