StudentsReview :: Wright State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Ohio State University Columbus -- Columbus, OH

Wright State University

Imagine if you were to create a schoolBrightBusiness - Management and Administration
Imagine if you were to create a school from scratch. But you take out all the best parts (sports to get excited about, big social scene, beautiful campus, great surrounding area, etc). And make it open admission. That's Wright State. Classes have been a joke so far, and I deeply hate this place for robbing me of my freshman year. I don't think anyone has ever hoped a year would go as fast as I do right now. Come next september, hello Ohio State! (a real college) Do not even hesitate to consider this place. If you are from here and want to stay close to home pick UD, OSU, or OU. Wright State, Wrong School.
1st Year Male -- Class 2014
Useful Schoolwork: A+, Faculty Accessibility: F
I am from Ohio and so is mostQuite BrightPolitical Science
I am from Ohio and so is most of Wright State. There are some out of staters and a decent population of international students. The best part of this college is that it's what you put in (as cliche as that sounds), and if you need additional help, there are on-campus resources available. Most professors really care about their fields and are willing to help outside of class, but you're ultimately responsible for your overall well-being and outcome. It's really easy, however, to become a number AND invisible in 100 level lecture classes if you're not too careful-- or remain as an invisible person in college (and fail) if you let it keep going. Advisers aren't usually concerned with your success here at all, which completely defeats their purpose!

The social life mostly revolves around whether or not you choose to hang out with people on the weekends. The population is really diverse (in terms of ethnicity,religion, socioeconomic, non-traditional students, veterans) so most people are really friendly and open to others. You'll find that it's easy to strike up a conversation with most people, and it's one of the most friendly places to attend college!

Wright State is mostly a commuter college, but it's really mixed due to the diverse population. There are a lot of non-traditional students whom you'll discover in your classes. People who live the more traditional college experience live on campus and have lots of fun with typical house parties. Or they live nearby and work--and also have house parties. It really just depends on how you approach social life and extracurriculars. There are ample opportunities to get involved on campus or in the numerous activities! Most students are usually middle class, but there's a decent population of well-off and wealthy kids who drive their newest cars, eat out several times a week, and travel everywhere during the breaks; they're usually just living off their parents and since their major (or course work) isn't so demanding, they can easily host parties almost every month. The party scene mostly consists of house parties. Other options include visiting nearby college clubs and UD house parties.

Safety has been heightened around campus, but there are usually no issues because WS is located in a pretty safe suburb.

The graduation rate for this college is dismal. There are so many non-traditional students and commuters who work and attend school. The administration and advising doesn't offer a lot of support or even advice, so you just have to take responsibility for your college life. Sounds like common sense, but there's a tendency for some to flunk out or never come back after their freshman year.

If I went back in time and rethought my college decision, I wouldn't have picked this college for the typical college experience. But it works--if you do it right.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2009
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Individual Value: C
This is is an honest review and IBrightMechanical Engineering
This is is an honest review and I will grade each section of this place
1.academics - It all depends on what your major is. for stem majors (engineering nursing etc.) is well known and it is challenging. people do complain about foreign prof. and tough ones but that is at every college and those majors are hard everywhere and but if you study you will do well. yes there are weed out classes but its part of being in a stem major and overall I like the stem programs and my engineering classes. OTHER than that its a joke. my English class was horrible and the professor was liberal and biased like most professor in the awful liberal arts college. my grade is a B

food- its all opinion based but I like it, grade A-
campus-the campus is small but large which I like. The tunnels are great and the library is great as well. However the campus does look unappealing compared to other colleges, grade B-

dorms-the dorms are okay, Hamilton hall is close to everything but it looks unappealing, the woods is awful, but honors hall is nice, yes it is a hike but a lot of things and places are at this place, plus the dorms are nice too so grade, B-

administration-it is terrible all the bad reviews about the administration was right. Nobody helps you out, you have to figure stuff out on your own, financial aid office is trash, and the advisers send you loops to get every dime. For example I realized I didn't needed my year long English class, so I wasted my money on that there are problems that they don't want to solve. My grade is F

athletics-it's D1 with basketball but with no football so my grade is C
social/clubs-oh boy this is the worst part about this campus. The social life is HORRENDOUS. Most people commute meaning that they show up and leave and for people living on campus, they show up and go to their dorms and leave EVERY WEEKEND. I stay half of the weekends I get so bored since nobody is here and I end up crying. It is very HARD to make friends. I try so hard to make friends but I couldn't make 1 friend. Don't get me wrong they are nice people and I meet people and talk to them in my classes, but I don't hangout with them because they left campus all the time. Most people talked to their high school friends and don't include anyone else in their group. As for clubs, since I'm an engineer I don't have time for clubs but I have heard mostly some poor reviews. My grade is F-

student body-The student body is awful. it ties in with social life since most people come and go, nobody cares for this school and it makes me sad that the nutter center, which is a huge stadium is awesome place but nobody goes to sporting events and fun events since people come and go and that's the student body. they are nice and fun people but most just keep to themselves and nobody has pride. my grade is F-

party scene-no parties so grade is F
parking- terrible F-
campus resources-it has a rec center and stuff a regular campus has so grade is Boverall- My experience at WSU socially terrible and because of that I was diagnosed with depression. I know I praised the stem department because its good but don't go here. you want to go to a place where you can be happy. I know WSU networks with lots of jobs and internships, which is good, but go to a place where your happy because there is a reason for low graduation rates, retention rates and less hiring. It is because of the awful administration and the sad social life and nobody is happy. My grade for wright state university is a D+/C-

1st Year Male -- Class 2019