StudentsReview :: Wright State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Ohio State University Columbus -- Columbus, OH

Wright State University

I am a student from Maryland.Not so brightCommunications
I am a student from Maryland. I have CP. I went here because of the WSU disabilities support program such as the purple care program at WSU where students work for other students on the same campus. Sometimes even the same age, female or male. This has presented a major challenge for me and all people because working with a female peer can be challenging because as you offer your opinion it can totally ruin your whole social circle if that student is very popular on campus. You get really close to these particular students, but then if you do one thing to tick someone off or many things to tick off a popular person who you can't control hiring, it can ruin your whole college experience. For me personally, I had a great experience my first semester. My PAs were wonderful with the exception of 1. The PAs are probably the friendliest people on campus. The students were never really friendly at all besides the PAs and one organization. Students would never go out of their way to talk to you except for one organization a christian organization. When I complained about one popular person in this particular organization, then this organization treated me like I didn't even exist. Another problem is the RA staff. 2 of my PA students were RAs. Because they did not feel comfortable talking to me after I disclosed about what made me feel uncomfortable, they lied and blocked me on Facebook and filed a harassment complaint with the student code of conduct without any warning at all. This has been the worst college experience for me. I went to wright state because it was number 3 for disabled students in the nation. Students are very unfriendly overall, the one friend circle I did have...when I had one disagreement with one person changed how the whole group treated me. Even the pastor of this organization won't speak to me. Even though they provide great facilities, the students make up a campus. Overall the student quality of friendliness is a 0. I did not tell the faculty member about the incident and she brought it up to me knowing it was bothering me, but did nothing to resolve the issue. They isolate the people with disabilities here, most people are by themselves at lunch, I have never seen a single person go out of their way to talk to me at lunch. Very unsocial and unfriendly campus overall. Even though the facilities are great, the social feeling here is terrible. If you piss one person off by giving your true opinion, instead of keeping it confidential, they will ruin your reputation. The president of the organization I was in totally was unfriendly and didn't even ask me what was wrong. Even though they respect me and say hi to me, none of them went out of their way to talk to me and figure out what was wrong. I felt like I was a number at this university and I had a very bad experience at this university. If you want to come here just be aware that peers are unsocial and never use the PA program here because they never have the student's back.
1st Year Male -- Class 1922
University Resource Use/ spending: A+, Individual Value: F
The campus looks pretty on the outside, butQuite BrightBiology
The campus looks pretty on the outside, but there is a lot of room for improvement mainly on study areas in the library and in the union. There is no truly quiet place to study on campus. A lot of time and resources are spent on holding 'special events' rather than on education. As a student I did not understand this, but now that I have graduated and visited other campuses, I feel like it is not conducive to studying. Computer network needs to be quicker. Sometimes you just want to see if you have an email, but it takes and abnormally long time to start a computer and even authenticate to the network.
4th Year Male -- Class 2005
Campus Maintenance: A, Individual Value: C-
I am from Ohio and so is mostQuite BrightPolitical Science
I am from Ohio and so is most of Wright State. There are some out of staters and a decent population of international students. The best part of this college is that it's what you put in (as cliche as that sounds), and if you need additional help, there are on-campus resources available. Most professors really care about their fields and are willing to help outside of class, but you're ultimately responsible for your overall well-being and outcome. It's really easy, however, to become a number AND invisible in 100 level lecture classes if you're not too careful-- or remain as an invisible person in college (and fail) if you let it keep going. Advisers aren't usually concerned with your success here at all, which completely defeats their purpose!

The social life mostly revolves around whether or not you choose to hang out with people on the weekends. The population is really diverse (in terms of ethnicity,religion, socioeconomic, non-traditional students, veterans) so most people are really friendly and open to others. You'll find that it's easy to strike up a conversation with most people, and it's one of the most friendly places to attend college!

Wright State is mostly a commuter college, but it's really mixed due to the diverse population. There are a lot of non-traditional students whom you'll discover in your classes. People who live the more traditional college experience live on campus and have lots of fun with typical house parties. Or they live nearby and work--and also have house parties. It really just depends on how you approach social life and extracurriculars. There are ample opportunities to get involved on campus or in the numerous activities! Most students are usually middle class, but there's a decent population of well-off and wealthy kids who drive their newest cars, eat out several times a week, and travel everywhere during the breaks; they're usually just living off their parents and since their major (or course work) isn't so demanding, they can easily host parties almost every month. The party scene mostly consists of house parties. Other options include visiting nearby college clubs and UD house parties.

Safety has been heightened around campus, but there are usually no issues because WS is located in a pretty safe suburb.

The graduation rate for this college is dismal. There are so many non-traditional students and commuters who work and attend school. The administration and advising doesn't offer a lot of support or even advice, so you just have to take responsibility for your college life. Sounds like common sense, but there's a tendency for some to flunk out or never come back after their freshman year.

If I went back in time and rethought my college decision, I wouldn't have picked this college for the typical college experience. But it works--if you do it right.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2009