StudentsReview :: Oral Roberts University - Comments and Student Experiences

Liberty University -- Lynchburg, VA
Stanford University -- Stanford, CA
Illinois State University -- Normal, IL

Oral Roberts University

I am a fairly balanced and calm individual.BrightHistory/Histories (art history/etc.)
I am a fairly balanced and calm individual. I came from a background of rules and order. My parents, while I love them, were quite strict and did not allow for any questions in regard to their rules. One thing that my parents did exceptionally well was to train me for life. I realize that I have become more of an adult during my time at college, but I was already reasonably mature and capable of making my own decisions. At ORU, there is an atmosphere not apparent until you get here. It is an extreme parental atmosphere. To someone like me, the rules don't seem overbearing at first. Then you realize that the attitudes of those enforcing those rules are not conducive to helping you grow as a person. The rules become weights and the enforcers become Pharisees. ORU does not prepare you to be a successful adult, it prepares you for being a mindless drone paying your tithes every Sunday. If you are a rational person, do not attend ORU. The Charismatic logic, or Charismania, will be extremely annoying, as you will deal with it from students, faculty, and staff. If you want to be respected as an adult, or even just a person, do not attend ORU. Administration loves making life hard and acting like they are your parents (this has nothing to do with curfew or other related rules), security loves to try to intimidate guys and girls alike, the male security guards love asking female students where they live (not necessary information) and they love being rude and gruff with male students. During a fire drill security laughed at us while we had to stand outside in the cold. A big portion of students are extremely legalistic and follow everything administration says without thinking about it. When you do question the validity of certain rules you get pounced on by all of the mindless drones. The Resident Advisors tend to act like the Gestapo. To bring this to a close, do not attend this school. It's not worth it. If you are a rational Christian, this university will only confuse and anger you. If you are not a Christian, this institution will not provide good examples of good Christianity. If you are a decent person that likes following rational rules, do not attend here. The administration does not allow you to question their authority. There are good people here. Most are misguided though. Please do not waste your time or money on ORU.
4th Year Male -- Class 2008
Innovation: A+, University Resource Use/ spending: F
Leaving at the end of semester--hated itAverageBusiness - Management and Administration
Leaving at the end of semester--hated it
bed checks every nite, curfews, dress code,chapel twice a week where our cult leader, Richard Roberts, drones on.

The university wants to control every aspect of your life.Can't live off campus unless your 25 or married. Find some place other than ORU where your allowed to make your own decisions and allowed to become a young independent adult.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2005
Faculty Accessibility: B, University Resource Use/ spending: F
I am a Basketball player at Oral RobertsQuite BrightUndecided
I am a Basketball player at Oral Roberts and will be transfering atthe end of this current semester. ORU s quite possibly the worst decision I have ever made in my life. People here are brainwashed into thinking that ORU is heaven on eartth and that if you agree with the poilicies you are hell bound. In High schol i hada 2.5 GPA i did not try hard at all. I came to ORU expecting a top notch education, and to be honest this place is easier then my high school. Dress code, bed times, no male female interaction of any sort in dorm rooms, cafeteria food, the restrictd cable TV access, and many other rules. I havent been to a single party since I have been here becuase in order to party you have to go throug the trouble of finding another fellow hell-bound student and signing out of your dorm for the weekend. If you are a christian and think that this is the school for you, please reconsider. People here are mostly fake. If you wanan be a witness for christ try out a real college or university and not a over-priced safe haven for parents who want kids ina controlled environment. Legalized christianity and brainwashing never will be a successful formula. On a lighter note there are some people here who actaully Love the " ORU experience" tremendous props to hese people for failing to analyze the plastic culture at ORU.
1st Year Male -- Class 2008