StudentsReview :: The Oklahoma State University Institute of Technology - Comments and Student Experiences

Arkansas State University -- Beebe, AR
Oklahoma Baptist University -- Shawnee, OK
Oklahoma State University - Oklahoma City -- Oklahoma City, OK

The Oklahoma State University Institute of Technology

Now that my program as officially been cut
Now that my program as officially been cut I can give my opinion of this university. So firstly my program was the only thing that kept me from dropping my first semester. I am from Michigan and went to osuit specifically for my program. I?ve had many good experiences with my program, the cafe, post office, clubs, etc. But unfortunately, my negative experiences with housing outweighs it all. Since I am out of state I HAD to live in the dorms to receive my tuition waiver. Firstly the RA?s are a joke and during my time were very cult-like. Once you get on the bad side of one they all start creating drama with you (Yes drama like children. Numerous RA?s would talk about myself and my friends behind our backs and we didn't find out until a mutual friend of ours became a RA) For an event I had my clubs cotton candy machine in my dorm overnight because the event ended at 8 pm. Two days after the event when the machine was already turned back into my professor I received a yellow slip on my dorm with a warning to remove items not allowed by housing. Secondly, there is a curfew. You can not have anyone in your room past midnight and 2 am on weekends. Even if they are the same gender and live across the hall you can not have them in your dorm. I was 19-21 when I attended this school. I?m sorry but the fact that I am being policed every day to not be able to do what I want with my friends at whatever time is completely ridiculous. Just enforce stringer quiet hours if you're so afraid of people being loud past midnight because why else would adults have a curfew? During my first semester, I thought it was just a southern thing since a curfew would be completely laughed at and thrown away if any college in Michigan had that but then my friends said all the other universities in Oklahoma have no such rule. So there is no excuse as to why this is a thing at osuit. Secondly, if you get caught drinking even you have to go to Okmulgee county court and pay almost $700 in court fees because you will receive a MIP. I do understand that there are laws in the place where you can't drink if you are under 21 but I was in a room with people who were drinking. I don't drink beer yet I still had to go to Okmulgee county court and pay a ridiculous fee because I was associated with drinking. The person who caught us is Dave. Not only is Dave prejudice but in all honesty is a perv. This man is the desk attendant to the common area and works nights. To catch people having someone in their dorm past curfew he will PUT HIS EAR TO THE DOOR. This man has also stalked us into our dorms asking if we all live within this building and told us past curfew we CAN NOT TOUCH THE DOOR HANDLE TO THE OTHER DORM. While at osuit I was the Vice President of student government and had direct communication with the deans. I had asked a dean if this was true and when he got back to me he said it is not because there are common areas within the dorms someone from another building can go into another dorm building if they are not going into a specific dorm room. Dave has also pulled people over from his car using the flashlight on his phone and has used his flashlight to look in people's cars. This is way out of the scope of his job and is completely inappropriate just like the many other things he has done. He also did nothing about two tweakers trying to break into the dorm. Didn't call the cops nothing. This is just the beginning of the issues I have experienced and they all happen to revolve around outside of classes. This pathetic excuse of a university needs a reality check. It is 2020, you are a public university, & your students are adults. You need to change this because If these ridiculous rules keep happening your university will close despite all of these programs getting shut down to save you money. Yet you will continue to lose money because outside of the classroom is 70% of a student's life at this school. Even if they love their programs, like me, that 30% of positivity will never outweigh the 70% of bad. Treat your students like the adults they are.
I graduated about a month ago and overall
I graduated about a month ago and overall I loved my program and the friends I made but I promise if you aren't a techy person and like to socialize this is not the college for you. There is a curfew. Nobody ever stays on the weekend unless they're poor unfortunate souls who are from out of state. You'll get $600 county MIP ticket for getting caught in a room with beer even if you weren't drinking. During the summer just go out to the lake and have a good time but I promise during the cold months it's not even worth it unless you know somebody off campus which thankfully I did. Either way if you're not commuting or living off campus dont even bother coming to shitmulgee unless you want to be treated like a child. Then come on by to the college for 8 year olds.
Over priced, nothing to do, food sucks.
1st Year Male -- Class 2014