StudentsReview :: The University of Oklahoma - Norman - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Oklahoma State University -- Stillwater, OK
Southeastern Oklahoma State University -- Durant, OK

The University of Oklahoma - Norman

Total Grad Surveys 8
Females 2
Males 6
Avg years at University 2.1
Research Quality B (6.7)
Research Availability B (6.8)
Research Funding B- (6.0)
Graduate Politics B- (5.8)
Not Errand Runners B+ (7.6)
Degree Completion A- (8.2)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] B (6.7)
Sufficient Pay B- (6.1)
Competitiveness B- (6.5)
Education Quality B (6.8)
Faculty Accessibility B+ (7.5)
Useful Research B+ (7.3)
"Individual" treatment C- (3.9)
Friendliness C+ (5.0)
Safety C+ (5.4)
Campus Beauty B (7.0)
Campus Maintenance B- (6.2)
University Spending C (4.8)
Extracurriculars B+ (7.4)
Scholastic Success B- (6.4)
Surrounding City C+ (5.5)
Social Life/ Environment B- (6.5)
"Individual" treatmentC-
Degree CompletionA-
Jan 22 2011Other
confused
The department is fantastic and very personalOct 24 2008Biology
The department is fantastic and very personal. The University itself though is so large that it really becomes about the numbers. Its also not very geared towards "out of state" students - which really causes problems at the undergrad level. There is a noticeable difference between the National Merit Scholars and the non-National Merit Scholars. Typically the majority of your out of state students are National Merit Scholars (the free ride covered the high tuition bill) and the rest are from Oklahoma. The only problem with this is that public school system quality in OK varies greatly based on regions. Sometimes makes for a very challenging teaching experience since their are so few in the "average" category and so many in the above average and below average categories.
The Masters of Science in Construction Administration atMar 18 2008Architecture
The Masters of Science in Construction Administration at the University of Oklahoma is a small, growing, quality program. The program is oriented towards part-time students who are currently working construction professionals. Three quarters of the students are employed full time. All courses begin after 4:30 pm. Guess lectures and adjunct professors are highly respected in the construction industry. Field work is realistic. Cost estimation and construction scheduling are emphasized. Team projects are part of every course.
On the surface this department appears "friendly andFeb 02 2008Anthropology
On the surface this department appears "friendly and approachable" however after being there and watching what faculty does to the students they deem as "problems" or not worthy of the field, there is nothing "friendly" about this department.

There are two female socio-cultural faculty members that for anyone who is thinking of going to school there should stay completely away from, unless, you are deemed a "favorite" then your life might be worth living. If your not interested in Latin America or Brazil or some sort of political identity issues, you might reconsider.

One socio-cultural faculty actually told students, that if they didn't live in the same community as their field reserach interests, they were not really doing field work. She said that anyone doing work within Oklahoma and not physically "living" where your group was for the entire length of fieldwork was not a real anthropologist or fieldworker.

I know of at least two cases where students were accused of academic misconduct - one student stayed and is in total isolation and the other left and went to a different program and doing very well.

If you like to hear about Berkeley [several faculty either went to school there or another California school] on a regular basis, you will love it there, however, if your that excited about Berkeley, I would say go to school there and not OU. There are better anthropological programs in the country,I regret not taking my back-up school offers.

It is important to know that one's experienceJan 29 2005Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
It is important to know that one's experience in a graduate level program is just that. One experience varies from another and is not neccesarily a direct correlation to the over all quality of the school. That being said, I did not find my experience to be all that I had hoped for. Profs seemingly have the best of intentions, but it is not a rarity to have a meeting with a faculty member only to have them not show up without any reason to speak of. If you are under the impression that you will recieve financial aid or a TA position as a reward for a high gpa, forget it. It doesn't seem to work that way. The dept. is rather under-funded (through no fault of the "leadership" ie, dean or dept. head).
My reason for choosing the University of OklahomaDec 24 2002Music - Performance
My reason for choosing the University of Oklahoma was due to proven success in my area by those who have graduated and gone on to teach at other universities. My experience thus far at the University of Oklahoma has been positive. I did not realize when I decided on OU that I would be part of a school that is growing, in size and reputation, due in large part to the leadership of President Boren. I feel as though I have been provided with ample opportunity by my professors to grow and learn about my subject and myself. I truly believe I have developed as a person more than I ever thought I would during my doctoral studies. It should also be mentioned that the people in this state are some of the nicest and most outgoing people you could ever imagine meeting. My wife and I never thought we would make so many close friends in our time here, but it has been a large part of my success in my program. The university grounds, facilities, student groups and student pride are all top-quality. The city of Norman is rather short on the "things to do" list, not from a partying standpoint, but from a "married couple" view. That being said, there really is not much time in the day, after schoolwork, to go out very often. Athletics here are fantastic, and I have become a major sports fan in the past three years. What better way to learn about collegiate athletics than to watch some of the best athletes and coaches in the country? Complaints would seem petty in relation to the positives, so I will not take the time to type them. It is definitely great to be a Sooner!
Compare OU/UOklahoma-NormanSave OU/UOklahoma-Norman