StudentsReview :: Marylhurst University - Comments and Student Experiences

Marylhurst University

Marylhurst was terrific in helping me succeed.AverageBusiness - Management and Administration
Marylhurst was terrific in helping me succeed. They helped maximize as many credits as possible from work I completed at other universities and they also support CLEP for some Freshman undergraduate work.

They were early innovators with distance learning but offer the same classes on campus too. This means you can opt for the best learning environment for each degree requirement based on your preferred learning style. Marylhurst can also accept credits from the local community college (note, this must be from a list of classes that have been approved by the University and I recommend that you also get confirmation from your adviser before taking the class).

There is good on campus support in their writing and math labs (I used both) and it was pretty easy to organize study/help sessions if needed. They have 24-hour IT help desk if you have technical problems too. The library is quite good, lots of places to hole up to concentrate and enough library computers that I rarely had to wait in line to use one if I didn't want to bring my laptop. Of course online library research capabilities are available to students to access via any internet connection.My experience was great.

5th Year Male -- Class 2014
Education Quality: A, Social Life: C-
Marylhurst as a school:Quite BrightPsychology
Marylhurst as a school:

I had an elderly male teacher asks me out. The same teacher used me as an alibi in his personal drama. He informed me if a certain someone asked about him that his alibi was a reason for the approach.

Another male teacher/ department head grabbed my leg over coffee. He also criticized my car for being a low class status. I am a student. It gets from me point A to point B so my car works.

Some teachers did help me learn in depth on certain subjects. Not all teachers are bad.
The science department is a joke. There were plastic Dinosaurs and a painted plaster, fake fossil, in the small display case within the science building. The "science building" only has two rooms. Most of the building are offices for the department heads.

A department head and a career counselor approved of my BA internship at Marylhurst. Graduate school at Marylhurst did not accept that internship. The career counselor did nothing about her misguidance. She was like, oh well. Thanks for screwing with my future.

Not mention their graduate school is a joke for several reasons. The teachers are not updated, think projector slides. I was refused application assistance on materials I needed to provide for grad school, by the department's academic advisor. Perhaps they don't need the money.

There is no book store on camps. That's right. A university without a bookstore. The bookstore was dismantled to save money. The bookstore consists only of a low-grade cafe with obvious desperate business hungry managers.

The dean of students/ counselor was laid off. He critisized students for failing a class even for health issues. He didn't actually counsel. Instead he made referrals to low budget counselors at other schools and businesses.

As a Maryhurst Employee:

The school is in debt several million dollars. There were 2 rounds of lay offs with in two years even HR got laid off.

HR fired individuals who did not fit in with their clicks. They made up reasons since OR is a fire at will state. They were u rational and illogical when acting like a defense attorney for their clicks. Karma is awesome.

The cafe on campus tries to be super but fails. Due to budget cuts I can smell the desperation retaking off the manager who lacks knowledge in coffee. The assistant manager is worse since she makes icky drinks but explains why and how she knows what she made is right. She puts half and half in Americanos. Yes it preserves the shots but please be considerate of the lactose intolerant. Also she takes advantage of personal advertising for her non-affiliated school music. Stop being self fish and save poster room for students.

Marylhurst is the school for adultra slogan is the nice way of saying, we cannot afford dorms, sports teams, and so forth.

There you have it, Marylhurst University in a nutshell.

4th Year Female -- Class 2013
Innovation: A, Useful Schoolwork: F
The student advisors are horrible and the staffSuper BrilliantBusiness - Management and Administration
The student advisors are horrible and the staff is really poor. They fail to follow up, they are never available when you have a question. By the time they do follow up, in many cases it is too late to affect any change as the opportunity has passed with the slow response. The school is exceptionally expensive and the cost is not justified. I will be looking to finish my degree at a different institution.
1st Year Male -- Class 2013