StudentsReview :: Portland State University - Comments and Student Experiences

California State Polytechnic University -- Pomona, CA

Portland State University

It's a commuter school.BrightFinance
It's a commuter school. Go somewhere else, do yourself a favor. This place can be miserable. The people here never walk around without headphones, you can't approach them, and if you do they get angry and agitated. Everyone here appears to be an introvert and afraid of general population. If you're a friendly human being, DO NOT consider PSU as a college of choice. Everyone here is apathetic, and it makes life miserable. The Urban Honor's College makes life even worse. The campus life is slim to none. The football games maybe get a crowd of 200 people, the basketball games get about 150 people, and both teams are terrible. The Greek Life is nonexistent. There is one well known sorority, and they are dry. There is a handful of frats, but they are dry as well. They both host one "party" a year, and its just going over to place on campus where there is minimal snacks and drinks. There is a "professional" frat. They aren't worth your time or money. If you want to join the Profession Frat at PSU, you're better off going to a LinkedIn workshop to save yourself $1800 a year.
more→Jan 30 2015
1st Year Male -- Class 2018
Perceived Campus Safety: A, Individual Value: F
I transferred to PSU for my last 2Quite BrightPhilosophy
I transferred to PSU for my last 2 years, and while I think most people would agree that their administration desperately needs an overhaul, the actual classes and instructors were fine. The philosophy department is a bit narrow and bland, but that's the case most places, so I'm not going to take off tons of points for that. The only real complaint I have academically is about their university studies requirements, but whatever. Every school as their own thing with generals, and I'd rather deal with this than several terms of theology at a religious university.The campus itself is gorgeous, especially the park blocks and the library. It's blended into downtown, so you can walk or take the MAX to other parts of the city on breaks, and it's very easy to commute to. It being in the city, there are canvassers, and that's annoying at times. There's also not a ton of greek life or sports, but I didn't want that anyway. It was perfect for my needs--finishing my BA at an accessible, secular school in Portland--and I'm happy to be starting a really cool graduate program here in the spring.
more→Jan 04 2015
2nd Year Female -- Class 2014
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Social Life: D+
My main reasons for attending Portland State are:Quite BrightBiology
My main reasons for attending Portland State are: 1) I'm a transfer student from a local community college; 2) I needed a university that was central to our jobs; and 3) I'm currently a caregiver for a sick family member. However, looking back at my academic career at PSU, I would definitely have jumped at the chances of attending Pacific University or OSU. The quality of education is second-rate, and the tumultuous relationship between faculty/student body and the administration is apparent. Many of my classes are 150+ students, which makes having an academic relationship with a professor difficult, unless one attends every single office hour offered. There are some great professors here, but they are few and far between. However, the park blocks that run directly through the campus are beautiful and active with students, but of course, this area of the "campus" is owned by the city of Portland.
more→Dec 09 2014