StudentsReview :: Portland State University - Comments and Student Experiences

California State Polytechnic University -- Pomona, CA

Portland State University

Jan 04 2015Philosophy
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I transferred to PSU for my last 2 years, and while I think most people would agree that their administration desperately needs an overhaul, the actual classes and instructors were fine. The philosophy department is a bit narrow and bland, but that's the case most places, so I'm not going to take off tons of points for that. The only real complaint I have academically is about their university studies requirements, but whatever. Every school as their own thing with generals, and I'd rather deal with this than several terms of theology at a religious university.The campus itself is gorgeous, especially the park blocks and the library. It's blended into downtown, so you can walk or take the MAX to other parts of the city on breaks, and it's very easy to commute to. It being in the city, there are canvassers, and that's annoying at times. There's also not a ton of greek life or sports, but I didn't want that anyway. It was perfect for my needs--finishing my BA at an accessible, secular school in Portland--and I'm happy to be starting a really cool graduate program here in the spring.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2014
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Social Life: D+
Dec 09 2014Biology
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
My main reasons for attending Portland State are: 1) I'm a transfer student from a local community college; 2) I needed a university that was central to our jobs; and 3) I'm currently a caregiver for a sick family member. However, looking back at my academic career at PSU, I would definitely have jumped at the chances of attending Pacific University or OSU. The quality of education is second-rate, and the tumultuous relationship between faculty/student body and the administration is apparent. Many of my classes are 150+ students, which makes having an academic relationship with a professor difficult, unless one attends every single office hour offered. There are some great professors here, but they are few and far between. However, the park blocks that run directly through the campus are beautiful and active with students, but of course, this area of the "campus" is owned by the city of Portland.
4th Year Female -- Class 2015
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Extracurricular Activities: F
Nov 20 2014Unknown
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I love Portland State. The campus is beautiful, the classes are engaging, the professors are helpful, and the atmosphere is full of energy. Due to its centrality in downtown Portland you get to experience city life and campus life simultaneously. I highly recommend this university to anyone who loves living in the city or wants a mature learning environment with emphasis on sustainability and cooperation.
1st Year Female -- Class 2018