StudentsReview :: Southern Oregon University - Comments and Student Experiences

Brandeis University -- Waltham, MA

Southern Oregon University

Do not go to this university if you

Jul 07 2014Unknown
Do not go to this university if you are learning disabled. They are not interested in providing appropriate ADA accomodations and despite what they tell you, the professors are not supportive or interested in teaching someone that they prematurely labelled as "dumb" I wish I had gone somewhere else.
4th Year Female -- Class 2014
Campus Aesthetics: A-, Education Quality: F

Southern Oregon is a decent school, do not

Apr 23 2014Business - Management and Administration
Southern Oregon is a decent school, do not come here if you plan to transfer later. The credits here are not taken seriously at other, larger schools. Don't expect anything if you are a sports fan because the teams and facilities are the worst. In addition there are not intramural areas for students to play. Be ready for very unintelligent people in your lower division courses.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2015
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Education Quality: F

I am in my senior year at SOU

Oct 09 2013Psychology
I am in my senior year at SOU and could not feel more excited and in love with my education. I came from a large, city in California which was my primary motivation to come to Oregon and Ashland. I hated high school. I felt alone, unsuccessful and like no one cared about how or what I did. All of my negative experience in high is what motivated me to attend SOU.

SOU has provided so many opportunities to grow as a person and student. I have attend 7 conferences, with the intent of attending at least two more before I graduate (all of which SOU has sponsored my to go). I have gone to places Illinois and Canada to present papers, compete for awards and participate it legislative voting and policy making. I have gone to DC to lobby for higher education and student rights. I have gone to regional conferences to present research and meet famous academics like Philip Zimbardo.

I have been apart in research within the psychology department. I have even worked on a publication with a professor and two other students. I have been given the freedom to create my own research projects with the support of multiple professors.

I have had my opinions challenged and enhanced by the liberal arts style. I have take biology, gender studies, queer theory, psychology, political science, interviewing and listening, and history classes. All of which have prepared me for the real world. I have a solid three paged resume with at least seven potential letters of recommendation. Plus professor who have helped me find relevant internships with local organizations to give me real world experiences.

Obvisouly, I could go on and on about what Southern Oregon has given me as a student and person. I would have never had these opportunities if I went to a large school with 100+ student classes, an under active student life or a school in a community disconnected from the academic environment. My classes are small, my professors know my full name, where I come from and what I want to do. The professional staff offer to help me prepare for job interviews without me even having to ask.

I am know applying to Masters and PhD programs. SOU is the perfect place to get an education that is dedicated to your success.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2014