StudentsReview ™ :: Southern Oregon University - Comments and Student Experiences

Brandeis University -- Waltham, MA

Southern Oregon University

I am in my senior year at SOU

Oct 09 2013Psychology
I am in my senior year at SOU and could not feel more excited and in love with my education. I came from a large, city in California which was my primary motivation to come to Oregon and Ashland. I hated high school. I felt alone, unsuccessful and like no one cared about how or what I did. All of my negative experience in high is what motivated me to attend SOU.

SOU has provided so many opportunities to grow as a person and student. I have attend 7 conferences, with the intent of attending at least two more before I graduate (all of which SOU has sponsored my to go). I have gone to places Illinois and Canada to present papers, compete for awards and participate it legislative voting and policy making. I have gone to DC to lobby for higher education and student rights. I have gone to regional conferences to present research and meet famous academics like Philip Zimbardo.

I have been apart in research within the psychology department. I have even worked on a publication with a professor and two other students. I have been given the freedom to create my own research projects with the support of multiple professors.

I have had my opinions challenged and enhanced by the liberal arts style. I have take biology, gender studies, queer theory, psychology, political science, interviewing and listening, and history classes. All of which have prepared me for the real world. I have a solid three paged resume with at least seven potential letters of recommendation. Plus professor who have helped me find relevant internships with local organizations to give me real world experiences.

Obvisouly, I could go on and on about what Southern Oregon has given me as a student and person. I would have never had these opportunities if I went to a large school with 100+ student classes, an under active student life or a school in a community disconnected from the academic environment. My classes are small, my professors know my full name, where I come from and what I want to do. The professional staff offer to help me prepare for job interviews without me even having to ask.

I am know applying to Masters and PhD programs. SOU is the perfect place to get an education that is dedicated to your success.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2014
Education Quality: A+, Campus Aesthetics: B-

I attended the ceremony for new students

Nov 22 2012Other
I attended the ceremony for new students. it left me feeling secure, validated, and part of a bigger whole. however, it seems that the speeches we're just smoking mirrors. I have not been treated like an important person, more over, I've been disrespected and belittled. Not only by staff and administration but by students as well.don't get me wrong not everyone is bad there but key players in the decision making process who succeeds and fails are not fit for the job. seriously, I thought I took a time machine back to Times of close minded thinking and ignorance. I've been assaulted in a PE class right in front of the instructor and they did nothing.bring this up to administration and it's totally overlooked.instructors in other classes have have group the do special things that are funded by the school but there is no democracy the use the money like they're the ones who earned it. absolutely using it for their personal benefit and tailor fitting it to their own needs. just like a dishonest business person who offers little favors here in there. The thinking is outdated and lacks integrity. Kind of a Old West mentality.
1st Year Male -- Class 2016
Campus Maintenance: B, Faculty Accessibility: F

I'm a senior at SOU, finishing up my

Jul 12 2012Video/Media
I'm a senior at SOU, finishing up my BA in Video Production. I can't begin to tell you how much of a waste this program is compared to others at SOU and around the state. The core classes are all pretty much the same; same handouts, same assignments, same teacher. It seems as if the faculty, which is really just one guy, don't have a clue what they are talking about. Coursework isn't challenging at all. If I wanted a basic knowledge on how to run video equipment and software, I could have watched some Youtube videos, not spent thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours pounding my head against the wall. The faculty encourage work outside the classroom and internships throughout the valley, but don't actually do anything to help you secure those positions.

Don't be fooled by the revamp of the program with new computers and a new name (EMDA). Computers are constantly full of other peoples files, making it nearly impossible to render your own files. You can rent camera equipment through RVTV, but only by first come, first serve. This would be okay if the teachers weren't the ones that over-ruled your rentals and took cameras without notice. Overall, you'll be very disappointed in your education if you go to SOU for any type of Video Production. Go to OSU in Corvallis, the Art Institute in Portland, or south to any of the numerous film schools in California. They may cost more, but I promise that the skill set you learn there will be far greater and valuable than any you could earn at SOU.

4th Year Male -- Class 2012