StudentsReview :: The University of Oregon - Comments and Student Experiences

The University of Oregon

International Studies Major

Feb 26 2014Other
International Studies Major.
School spirit is like none other. Football games are a once in a life time opportunity for students. People are nice and always willing to have a quick chat no matter where you are. Many different places to go out (Campus Bars or bars downtown). Lots of events like farmers markets, concerts (Big names at the Matthew Knight Arena), beer festivals, and Portland is a very easy 2 hour drive up I-5. Lots of activities and programs to get involved in no matter what your into.

It was not my first choice, but I cannot imagine having gone to any other school. I will miss this place everyday that I am gone after graduation. Go Ducks.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2014
Social Life: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: B

This school is really lacking, but they took

Jan 12 2014Psychology
This school is really lacking, but they took tips from Nike on how to promote and market themselves well. Undergrad programs rely heavily on graduate students to make up the teaching force; cheap labor. The school provides no value and is very overpriced for what you get. The radical agendas that lurk about the classrooms in this campus are foul. Many times I found the faculty to be just shy of being completely disrespectful toward veterans, while thinly disguising their views through the lens of academia. The athletics are worshiped here with the ever growing athletics complex, but be prepared to pay a fee or higher tuition for new buildings such as the Student Memorial Union. It wouldn't be too hard to digest other than the rudeness of the athletes, both on and off the field, and their poor representation through the media and in the classroom. This school does a wonderful job of supporting many diverse groups, but really doesn't show much concern for veterans on campus. They will pick apart any previous school work and dismiss it as not being adequate for university standards including Oregon residents with an AA Oregon Transfer from surrounding schools (more money). Finally, if I email an instructor, such as finding a fault in the tests, I expect a reply back, not to be ignored. If you are a graduate student teaching a course, I don't want to hear your interpretation of how real life is if you haven't stepped outside of the classroom, nor do I want to hear you simply regurgitate your last professor at Someother University, I can read their papers just fine without you assigning it to me, maybe bring and encourage original thoughts to the class. Be prepared to experience a student body that is mostly out of state(CA), this is another attempt by the school to make more money off of out of state tuition while neglecting Oregon residents. Unfortunately, I have my undergrad here, but have moved on to complete my graduate work!
1st Year Male -- Class 2013
Perceived Campus Safety: B+, Education Quality: F

Now that I've been accepted to transfer to

May 03 2014Economics
Now that I've been accepted to transfer to a quality, highly selective private school, I can discuss my opinion of this state school without the fear of being stuck here for another two years. The University of Oregon makes little sense. There are a lot of good bad things about the school that I've learned over my freshman year.

Firstly, don't expect much for your classmates. I was constantly impressed about how simple-minded my peers were. I found several people of similar competence who agreed with me, but somehow they are okay with the lack of intelligence in the student population.

Next, there are tons of things you can do to fill your time (because there's no way that a full schedule here will keep someone busy). I got a job, played on club teams, played on intramural teams (won a few Champion Tshirts) got another job, did a lot of transfer applications, and filled up the rest of my time with electives because there are tons of them here! I'm not just talking about academic ones. There are martial arts with great instructors, dance classes from swing to ballet to tango, and normal sports like badminton, swimming, etc to keep you in shape. These classes were the ones I found most meaningful in my time here.

Eugene is pretty boring. You can take trips if you're outdoorsy, organized by the awesome outdoor program. There are a few hills and great trails if you're into running/hiking/biking, there's a concert every once in a while, there are some bars if you're over 21, but besides drinking on weekends at house parties there isn't much liveliness to the city for an undergraduate.

The professors are mostly absolutely fantastic! I adored all of my econ professors and the department in general, my organic professors were great (I'm one class away from a biochem minor here). I hear that the math professors at any level above high school math (calculus and up) barely speak english and lack any sort of teaching skill, but that's all vicarious because I finished calc in high school and there isn't any more math requirement for biochem or econ majors. My foreign language professor was also great, and tried to get me to major in Romance Languages on to of econ. I would have if I didn't want to leave. All my professors but one were helpful, smart, enthusiastic, engaging and caring about their students, and very willing to write me letters of recommendation.

I haven't met one even slightly capable business student. It's not just me, most people I've talked to agree. I'm always surprised about how they dress themselves let alone manage to get C's in their classes (because the higher grades go to people who have a real career goal and are most definitely NOT business majors, but students in business classes because it's an easy way to pad your GPA and add a minor). I am entertained whenever I hear a business major say his goal is to own a business. It's hilarious. I'm gonna miss that.

Frat guys are great. At least for making the curve for a class go in your favor. Then again, professors will slow the class down so that the frat guys can understand at least some of it. Maybe it just limits how much you learn. Hence me leaving. Honestly, I would have probably rushed just so I could party more and have a good, unproductive time during the rest of college.

For residence halls, the food here is actually really really good. RA's (Residential assistants) are a huge pain until they start looking the other way, which most of them want to do because busting college students for drinking is one of the more illogical practices in this country. Still, there are some who will write you up for coughing after 11pm. Luckily being written up has little to no consequence, so it's not a big deal.

I wish I could have done some of the study-abroad offered here. So many options and opportunities. Oh well. Overall, I'd say that this school was not the best place of me, as I am capable of handling a bit more, um... rigor. Still, I have learned much more than I thought I would here, not just about organic synthesis reactions, classical physics, or demand functions, but also about various martial arts, strokes for swimming, tango, waltz, ballet, tennis, table tennis (I played on the club team) and what I want in life. I figured out what career I will pursue, am well on my way to a bachelors degree, and I'm debt-free. What more could I ask for in a freshman year? Well, lots. All I've been thinking to myself for the past year is GET ME OUTTA HERE but hey, it usually wasn't complete hell.

1st Year Male -- Class 2017