StudentsReview :: The University of Oregon - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Washington -- Seattle, WA

The University of Oregon

Forget EVERY getting student

Aug 31 2014Psychology
Forget EVERY getting student tickets to Football games. IT WILL NOT HAPPEN. In seven years of trying my sister and where able to get 1 ticket between us to a crap game. Their website and ticket issue system are old and very outdated.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2015
Campus Aesthetics: A, Faculty Accessibility: F

I first went to Portland State University and

Feb 27 2013Other
I first went to Portland State University and I wish I never left to come here. The U of O basically only cares about sports and keeping to the status quo. Athletes are extremely privileged here and the University is very slow to adapt to environmentally friendly and sustainable practices like banning bottled water, composting etc. PSU is WAY more progressive than U of O. Tuition at UO goes up every year. It has risen 115% in the last 10 years which is higher than Oregon's inflation rate and higher than any other Oregon state school. And the education is certainly no more challenging or engaging than what I experienced at PSU. I was a straight A student there, and I am a straight A student here, I don't feel more challenged academically since coming to UO. The students here are arrogant and shallow, it feels like high school all over again. People are literally completely obsessed with partying, football, hooking up, and being cool, which is fine, that's college, but it's excessive here and it's hard to find anyone who isn't this way. The UO will spend your tuition money on favoring athletes, renovating buildings unnecessarily, huge billboards advertising sporting events and who knows what else. I am not getting my money's worth here and I regret coming to this school. I love Oregon, but the city of Eugene is one of the most boring places I have ever been. There is nothing at all to do besides party with a bunch of arrogant high schoolers and it rains for about 9 months out of the year. Eugene is very beautiful in summer and spring but so is the rest of Oregon and it's just not worth it here.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2015
Campus Maintenance: A, Social Life: D

I won't go to much into the general

Feb 18 2013Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
I won't go to much into the general education part with the exception that the politics is borderline delusional as it's a University feeding into a bubble of idealism with reality taking a back seat. Just go outside the campus area and it's mix of hippies and rednecks in Eugene. Also in the Summer you see the excessive Liberal Ignorance as the student population leaves. The campus is nice and the student life is fun, but watch out for the cops, they like wander around off-campus housing looking to hand out underage drinking citations instead of doing their job to "serve and protect" when there is too much money to be made off students.

My real ANGER is with my major, DIGITAL ARTS. Taught by 3rd rate gallery artists that took a maybe one class or a few weeks of studying a book or dvd for software, like "Adobe for Dummies" with little to no real world professional experience. I doubt they ever even had a job besides being GTFs or working at a coffee shop!

Example, I took a 3D modeling class taught by a Graduate student whose only experience was a 3 week intensive course during the summer. Or that I took a comics class taught by a Chinese Calligrapher whose only experience was reading "Understanding Comics" by Scott McCloud. You see a pattern? Total unprofessional experience of the subjects they are supposed to be teaching. How would you feel if after 1 class you were qualified to teach it? If you have any honesty you should feel like a charlatan, and that's what the faculty was.

Total incompetence and no organization, I would sue them for fraud if I could as they had no clue about what they were doing. There wasn't any mentoring, let alone classes about hot to make a portfolio for a job, because if these idiots knew how they probably would be trying to find work themselves instead of being total losers.

Why is this program such a pathetic waste of time? Because all the funding goes to the ARCHITECTURE program. The Department is even called "Architecture and Allied Arts", when it should be called "Architecture and we got your money so go fuck yourself". Also, this was in 2007 when I graduated but I went to their Portland campus in the start of 2013 where the Senior BFAs go to. It's still the same mess of incompetence, disorganization, and unprofessionalism. And the Architecture department dominates everything. EVERYTHING. Don't expect them to help you get ready for the real world when everyone involved in this scam is too busy trying to escape from it.

Starting Job: ESL Teacher Preparedness: F Reputation: F