StudentsReview :: The Art Institute of Pittsburgh - Comments and Student Experiences

Dickinson School of Law of Penn State -- Carlisle, PA
Tennessee Temple University -- Chattanooga, TN
Maryland Institute College of Art -- Baltimore, MD

The Art Institute of Pittsburgh

Oct 07 2014Interior Design
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I only took four classes at this school before I found out what kind of ppl they were. Just from within the four classes I took and I've had two or more Advisors and Financial counselors. The supplies they you have to go buy is crazy and they aren't cheap. The issued me software (Adobe products) and told me it was covered in my fees and now that I have dropped the classes now they are calling me telling me I owe them money and if someone did say it was covered they made a mistake. The fees are ridiculous and they thinking they are doing you a favor but giving you a few dollars here and there. If I knew what i knew now? SMH
1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Jun 08 2014Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I am a former faculty member at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh. There is no way I would have attended this school, nor would I recommend it to anyone. Profit trumps education at every turn. The administration --from the smiling, slimy president Sebolt all the way down are generally from the business world not academia. They will accept anyone with a Pell grant and a pulse. I had students who were legally blind in drawing classes, students who couldn't speak English, students with ankle monitoring bracelets, students with serious mental health and/or substance abuse issues, students with little or no skill or motivation. The school provides little or no support. These people are bastards, stay away from them and go to a real school. Anyone who tells you they can teach you to draw in 44 hours is a damn liar.
Preparedness: F Reputation: F
Feb 27 2014Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I was in the Game Art and Design Program for four quarters. This Review is focused on that field and what I experienced.

I was accepted into the school with without any background or skill in art. I was horrible at concept art. After the second quarter, I saw a dramatic improvement in my sketch work. Once I transitioned into the digital end of artwork, I began to notice, I was spending the majority of my time learning how to use 3DS Max on YouTube. My professors only criticized the work, which is not bad. I only wish they had helped me learn the software in the classroom. I used standard grading rubric to rate the school. I would say about 25% of the classes, and professors that taught them, were excellent. I took multiple classes where the professor would just sit at their desk and draw while ranting how 90% of us will never find a decent job. I was also told that I would have the opportunity to learn some basic computer programming, because we are studying VIDEO GAMES. No programming class work at all. The courses are not even offered. The game design club would get about 10% into the actual game development process before encountering a problem that requires some basic knowledge of a programming language. The students were set up for failure before they even started.

On top of the incredibly poor curriculum, the student housing was substandard and unsafe. It was common to ride in an elevator that would drop one or two floors before getting to the floor you needed to be. It was all concrete with little paint. I did not reside in the student housing. I was not that much of a sucker. However, my friends who did, said there were being charged somewhere along the lines of $1500 a month. In addition, one of my friends had two other roommates, all being charged $1500 a month. That is $4500 a month the school made on students living in substandard conditions.

To sum up the experience, I had few professors who actually taught a course. The majority of my class time was on a computer watching YouTube lectures, trying to self teach. If you have a passion for Game Art and Design, I would strong recommend that you save yourself the $80,000 and take some programming classes at Community College. Spend your down time learning off YouTube and other Game art forums. You will save yourself A LOT OF MONEY and not be crippled with debt. I do not even put my education from the Art Institute on my resume. I am embarrassed by it. If you are serious about actually working in the field of Game Art and design, DO NOT ATTEND THE ART INSTITUTE. Get a real education.

1st Year Male -- Class 2016