StudentsReview :: The Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania - Comments and Student Experiences

Yale University -- New Haven, CT

The Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania

Do to medical reasons, I unfortunately turned down

Sep 28 2014Psychology
Do to medical reasons, I unfortunately turned down Ivy League and private schools to remain close to home, and ended up at Bloom. I have to say, i have been seriously surprised as to the assets and positive features of BU..and every semester I begin to grow pride and love my little school a bit more. I had been tempted to transfer, for a more rigorous psychology BS program, but once you take INITIATIVE (which is seriously lacking among students here) you can truly make the experience here any caliber of difficulty.

The Honors Program is honestly the best thing about this school. The director, the students, the service we do, and seminars we take, definitely elevate the sense of academia and community.

Also, if you get to know your professors in your department, many of them are conducting awesome groundbreaking research. It's not hard to get involved and develop a strong resume for graduate school.

Not from personal experience, but other students in Honors have great things to say about the Nursing program, as well as our Audiology/ Speech Pathology majors. Ultimately, college is truly what you make of it, and at Bloomsburg you can "make" a quality undergraduate experience for an unbelievable value.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2017
Individual Value: A+, Education Quality: B-

Upon attending Bloom I was expecting a fresh

Aug 01 2014Geography and Geosciences
Upon attending Bloom I was expecting a fresh start. I had a great high school experience and was expecting my glory days to continue... boy was I wrong. Freshman year was the worst year of my entire life. Everyone has an established group of friends in the first week and you are stuck with them for the rest of the year regardless if you to or not. The students are extremely unwilling to branch out and meet new people so if you are looking for new friends others are not receptive. There is nothing to do in this stupid little town other than drink and hook up with random people. As for education it is a waste. I went in undecided so have had a very broad range of classes in varying departments. I learned more in middle school spanish than I did in level 4 spanish at Bloomsburg. Political science was a joke. I found high school 100x more challenging than the courses at bloom. And the students are unintelligent as well and are incapable of intellectual conversation or debate. In addition to be unintelligent the students are incredibly unmotivated:drinking every night, skipping classes to sleep .. at 3 in the afternoon and rejecting the idea of school work in order to watch endless marathons of netflix. There is no school spirit at this school and nothing pulling the students together. I absolutely hate this school and will not be returning next year. If you are looking to pay thousands of dollars for a piece of paper and not an ounce of knowledge, this is the school for you. Almost all of the positive comments from this school are from education majors or people who graduated 30 years ago.
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Faculty Accessibility: F

If you are an incoming Radiology major or

Mar 24 2014Radiological Sciences
If you are an incoming Radiology major or any other major please take the time to read this! I knew from a pretty early age that I wanted to go into radiology but did not want to go out of state. My options were pretty limited, as not too many schools have radiological science as an offered major. All it took was for me to see Bloomsburg's campus one time and I was hooked. Beautiful greenery and seemingly friendly atmosphere, what more could I ask for? Boy, was I wrong. That could not be further from the truth.

The students: My fellow students here at Bloomsburg University are arrogant kids who stomp around campus like they rule the world. Most of the kids here act like they graduated valedictorian but in reality are getting solid C's in all their classes. And its not like they can use money as an excuse to be snobby either, Bloomsburg is one on the cheapest state schools in Pennsylvania. All in all I'm not sure where they get off having this kind of attitude in a small farm town in Pennsylvania but I can guarantee you that you will not enjoy it.

The Faculty: The teachers here at BU honestly make you feel like a number. They make little or no effort to help you after class and its even worse if you go to their after office hours. They always manage to make me feel like a bother. Teachers here act like they are above you and will put you down but if you don't let that bother you then you can do well in the class. I dont know about you but personally I like it a whole lot better when the teachers are actually considerate.

The Academics: The classes here at BU are not challenging whatsoever. Its like I am back in high school again! Coming here I was ecstatic about the science courses I would be taking and all the labs I would be participating in. But I can assure you it is no such thing. It is mediocre classes at best, and I have not had any lab time. If you are looking to really expand your mind I suggest another school.

The Food: The food at BU is truly unpredictable. One day I can go for lunch in the cafeteria and it will be fantastic and the very next day it will be disgusting. I have even made several complaints to the food department but I have yet to receive any response back. You can never tell when the food will be good or not.

Sports: BU has a serious lacking in school pride. I came from a high school where the football and basketball games were a time to rally together to support your school. Not here. Honestly, the sports teams suck and the student sections are nearly empty. Not what I expected from the Huskies.

The Social Scene: If you are anything like me then for months you have been hearing how absolutely amazing the party scene will be when you come here. Everyone told me prior to coming here that is was one of the biggest party schools in the area. WRONG. I believe that it is very important to balance school and fun but that's so hard to do here. A typical Bloomsburg party consists of kids sipping on a red solo cup of beer and then pretending like they are hammered. Not impressive at all. If you are someone who loves to study and is not into the whole party scene then you will love the social scene...because there isn't one. And another thing that I heard so much about before coming here was that there was a "BU drunk bus" that would take you wherever you wanted to go on campus whenever you were too drunk to get there yourself. This somewhat true, there is a bus that runs late hours of the night for kids who got so drunk they cant remember where they live. But this is what they didn't tell me, when you make the call to the bus service you of course have to tell them what dorm you live in, the bus service then makes a call to the campus police notifying them of your call. Depending on the dorm you live in the police will be able to determine whether you are an underage student or not. I have had many friends walk on to the bus totally smashed and see a police man sitting waiting for them. Booms, charged with an underage. The drunk bus is not as great as it sounds, its somewhat of a trap so beware. The police here at BU are strict.

Around town: Here is where I can shed some positive light on the school. Around Bloomsburg you can find fun things to do, there is a mall and plenty of restaurants. But like I mentioned previously, if you like to party you will be disappointed because there is only one lousy hardware bar. But if you arent a drinker there is a starbucks and an icecream place that are both very good!

Dorms: The dorms here are just are normal college dorm room, small and cozy. Air conditioning and heat are always working well. You will be using community bathrooms and showers but they are always super clean, which is amazing. One less thing to worry about!

Safety: I always feel safe on campus, like I said the police are really on top of things here. The crime rate on campus is nonexistent except for a few bike thefts. No biggie! And if you are ever studying late at the library and you feel unsafe walking alone in the dark you can call a special number to have an escort walk you home! Really nice.I thank you for taking the time to read this and truly wish you all the best in your college journey, whether its at Bloomsburg or not. But take what I have written as a warning, this school is not as great as you think it will be. And trust me, I know what you are thinking because I was in your spot a few years ago. But I strongly encourage you to think beyond Bloomsburg and look else where. Only come to BU if you are absolutely sure that is the decision you want to make because it may be one you regret. Good luck :)

3rd Year Female -- Class 2015